Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, while I was replacing my exhaust with my friends (weird story), we stripped two of the three bolts on the cat, the ones that connect to the midpipe. So we figured we'd just cut them off, drill through them, and put in new bolts. WELL, we go to cut them off, and my friend accidentally cuts off the ONE good bolt left. So then we cut off the other two. Then we start to drill through them, but we CANNOT get it. We're using BRAND new titanium bits and an air drill. We've gotten a 1/4" hole all the way through one, and a 1/8" whole all the way through another. But now we can't even scratch the surface with any other drill bits. I need the whole to be 5/16" because that's what size bolts I have and want to use. Do you guys have any suggestions of how to go about removing those bolts or a better method for drilling them? I've been told to drill slowly with a LOT of pressure. Some have said to use some WD-40 to lube it up and keep it cool. Some have said to drill in short bursts. What do you guys think? PLEASE HELP ME! (i have no exhaust right now, hella loud, hurts my ears.)

·
i eat f00d
5,890 Posts
first.. your friend is an idiot.. he should of check which one was the good one first before cutting..

second.. depending on how bad it was stripped you could of just re-threaded the bolts with a DIE kit.. that would of been the easiest if you didnt strip them TOO bad..

since you started drilling.. i would either get better bits.. and work at it slowly.. and just keep working at it.. eventually you will drill through... just make sure you have some sort of lubricant while you are drilling... wd-40.. pb blaster.. when i rethreaded stuff i used old or new motor oil.. (never tried with drilling) but you can give it a whirl

you can always just get a new cat..

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
If you have a dremel (or a good old fashioned hack saw) I'd cut them as flush with the flange as possible first and then drill.

Heck if the cat is off the car, it might be faster to just take it to a muffler shop and have them torch the buggers out. Gotta be careful doing that though.

·
Hi there
696 Posts
I would take the cat off, if you already havent. and just bring it to a muffler shop and get it torched off and get some new bolts at honda.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have a friend with a torch, is there anyway to torch them off without removing the cat? I don't want to worry about breaking and replacing the bolts to the midpipe. Also, where could I get diamond tipped bits? i couldn't find them at Home Depot.

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
i have a friend with a torch, is there anyway to torch them off without removing the cat? I don't want to worry about breaking and replacing the bolts to the midpipe. Also, where could I get diamond tipped bits? i couldn't find them at Home Depot.
wow. just take the cat off and take it to the muffler shop. its the best way to resolve your issue, time and money considered.
if not drive or tow your car there, if you are THAT bad at removing bolts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow. just take the cat off and take it to the muffler shop. its the best way to resolve your issue, time and money considered.
if not drive or tow your car there, if you are THAT bad at removing bolts
if i'm THAT bad at removing bolts?? have you ever removed a bolt from your stock exhaust with ease? Both my friend and myself and another guy i know had to take our cars to a shop to have the cat bolts cut off, the bolts between midpipe and muffler (all 6 between us) snapped when we tried to remove them AND the bolts from header to downpipe on my friends also snapped, and it's not just me, a TON of people brake those springy pieces of crap. BUT, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard to drill if you use real cutting oil - not WD-40, not lube oil, not PB Blaster, etc. Get you a nice fresh bit, dip it in the cutting oil, drill for 15-20 seconds, re-dip it, drill agan and repeat.

·
Soup to nuts
7,175 Posts
I'm guessing you stribbed the head of the bolt, in that case, theres a tool where you drill in a small amount, and then hammer this star looking rod into the bolt and attach that to a breaker bar, and you can pull it lose. And yes, when drilling metal, lots of lubrication.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, just so everyone knows, I did some research and found out I should be using cobalt bits. they're designed to drill through titanium, hardened steel, and super alloys. So anyways, I went and bought a 5/16" cobalt bit this morning from Lowes, got back to my house, and within 15 minutes I was all the through all three holes, cleaned out the bolt left in the hole, now i just have to shave off the back side of the old bolts (i've done one already), and I'm home free!! Thanks so much for helping me out guys, it shouldn't have taken 3 days to drill 3 holes, but, what are ya gunna do?

cliff notes:
1)cobalt drill bits are THE SHIT

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
ok, just so everyone knows, I did some research and found out I should be using cobalt bits. they're designed to drill through titanium, hardened steel, and super alloys. So anyways, I went and bought a 5/16" cobalt bit this morning from Lowes, got back to my house, and within 15 minutes I was all the through all three holes, cleaned out the bolt left in the hole, now i just have to shave off the back side of the old bolts (i've done one already), and I'm home free!! Thanks so much for helping me out guys, it shouldn't have taken 3 days to drill 3 holes, but, what are ya gunna do?

cliff notes:
1)cobalt drill bits are THE SHIT

im glad you got your problem resolved, but to answer your question i have changed out the entire exhaust system (read: header back) several times with ZERO problems. dont know what your weather is like there, but it could be due to the fact that my car doesnt see weather extremes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
how many miles were on the car though? i am one of the guys that also had to get my bolts loosened at a muffler shop (from the cat to the exhaust) cost me twenty bucks then she came off with ease. I had 40k miles on my car though. Those Things would'nt budge with an air wrench @ 150 PSI...they had to torch em.

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
how many miles were on the car though? i am one of the guys that also had to get my bolts loosened at a muffler shop (from the cat to the exhaust) cost me twenty bucks then she came off with ease. I had 40k miles on my car though. Those Things would'nt budge with an air wrench @ 150 PSI...they had to torch em.
not too many, done it several times, car has about 60k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.