Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of hard labor, replacing the headlights in the RSX!

I bought some Xenon H1 lightbulbs to replace the stock halogens, and I decided to put them on this morning.

Sweet mother of God! What a P.I.T.A.! The passenger side wasn't TOO bad, but the driver's side.. I had to completely remove the battery and move the windshield washer fluid tank's fillter neck just to get at the bulb. Even then I ended up breaking the damn bulb (with the glass still in the lens).

Thankfully the broken glass piece moved all the way to the front and fell down, so it doesn't scratch the inside of the lens, rattle, or make any noises. I'll worry about it when I get some JDM replacement headlights.

Still.. the designers at Acura should be forced to have to actually work on their creations fo the next 1000 years non-stop to atone for this! My friggin arms are completely scratched up from the experience. My Eclipse was 100000% easier (which, by the way, I just sold today! woohoo!! more money for mods!)

At any rate, I highly recommend that anybody who feels like replacing their headlights get some xenon (or HID) lights instead of Halogen. I could see the difference even in daylight!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey - what do you think of the look of the OEM fogs with the HIDs?

Also what kit did you get? 4100K or whatever?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Ballistyx said:
of hard labor, replacing the headlights in the RSX!

I bought some Xenon H1 lightbulbs to replace the stock halogens, and I decided to put them on this morning.

Sweet mother of God! What a P.I.T.A.! The passenger side wasn't TOO bad, but the driver's side.. I had to completely remove the battery and move the windshield washer fluid tank's fillter neck just to get at the bulb. Even then I ended up breaking the damn bulb (with the glass still in the lens).

Thankfully the broken glass piece moved all the way to the front and fell down, so it doesn't scratch the inside of the lens, rattle, or make any noises. I'll worry about it when I get some JDM replacement headlights.

Still.. the designers at Acura should be forced to have to actually work on their creations fo the next 1000 years non-stop to atone for this! My friggin arms are completely scratched up from the experience. My Eclipse was 100000% easier (which, by the way, I just sold today! woohoo!! more money for mods!)

At any rate, I highly recommend that anybody who feels like replacing their headlights get some xenon (or HID) lights instead of Halogen. I could see the difference even in daylight!
I would've done it for you at the meet if you had the bulbs. Did you break the stock bulbs or the ones you bought?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nononono.. I'm looking into HID, but for now I just got Xenon bulbs. It's a major difference from the stock halogens. Too bad I hear they burn out pretty quickly.

When Wagner finally releases their H1 Brite-lites, if you don't plan on going HID, get these bulbs! I had them in my Eclipse, and while not quite as bright as HID, they're pretty damn close!

Even with these Xenon lights, I can see a huge difference between them, the high beams, and the fog lights. The OEM bulbs look so yellow in comparison. :spin:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I broke the stock bulb on the driver's side.

I just bought the xenon bulbs on eGay... errr.. eBay about a week ago. Man, I wish I had bought them sooner and let you put them in :laughing:. As you know, I'm not the smallest guy in the world, and I my hands aren't exactly small either.

Tell ya what.. if and when I get the H.I.D. kit, your more than welcome to help me install it. :)

·
c e n s o r e d
568 Posts
I agree. Replacing the bulbs is more difficult than it has to be. I've done it many times (from PIAAs blowing) and it doesn't get much easier :eek:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nighfall finally came, and I got to drive around with the blue Xenon bulbs.

While they are MUCH MUCH whiter than the stock bulbs, they're not a much brighter. Then again, I wasn't expecting a whole heck of a lot from a set of $20 eBay bulbs.

I went ahead and bought some Philips BlueVision (4 of them, so my highbeams will match the lowbeams) Xenon bulbs from Powerbulbs.com. They're not some knock-off taiwanese bulbs, so they should last a while.

One thing I noticed today while driving home is that if you pull up on the power window buttons (while they're fully up), the headlights dim. I'm going to have to rig up some relays to the headlights.. If the headlights are dimming from THAT, then they're probably not getting full voltage to begin with.

That should tide me over until I can afford a high quality H.I.D. kit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
:shooting: RSX headlights

WTF was Honda thinking??? I'm feel your pain...in the form of scratches all over my hands and arms. I also had to remove my battery. What a hassle! On my Integra, the headlights were the simplest thing to swap out. But now.....oh well....I guess that's my punishment for wanting the latest and greatest. Thanks for listening!

·
No place like 127.0.0.1
3,301 Posts
keep us updated on the headlight diming relay thingy...

also is anyone intrested in doing a headlight wiring harness? I have one on my JGC and the power output for the day/night is increased 8.3% while high beams have increased 10.4% this is power calculations taken from a voltmeter.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TrustRSX said:
rig one up for me too. I't just 2 wires and a relay to the battery right?

My lights dim with brakes or a/c.

It depends on how complex you want to get.

The best solution is to replace the battery cable terminals with some high quality connectors, and on the positive side, route one cable to a power distribution block.

You can do it with only two relays, but I'm going to try it with four (one for each light). Take the output voltage going in to each light and run it to the primary of a 30 amp relay coil. Run a wire from the power distribution block to the input side of the relay, and then run a wire from the output side of the relay to the light. With the other side of the light, you will need to run it to another distribution block, but one that is fused and grounded to the chassis.

Flick on the lights, and instead of the lights getting power directly from the switch, it's getting it straight from the battery.

I read how to do this on a Jaguar site, and they claim that the lights are a lot brighter, and don't tend to dim when you run accessories.

It shouldn't harm anything to try it, so when I get a chance, I'm doing it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Got most of the parts together already:

• (4) 30 amp auto relays (Radio Shaft P/N: 275-226)
    (1) Heavy Duty Automotive Fuse Box (P/N: 270-704)
    (2) 20 AMP fuses (for the above fuse box)
    (2) Spools of 10 gauge auto hook-up wire (one red, one black)
    (2) Lengths of red and black 8 gauge hookup wire
    (2) Brass gold plated battery terminals (to replace the tin ones on the car).
    various quick connect/disconnect crimp-on connectors
Need to get:

• About one foot of 4 gauge wire.
    A four into one grounding block.
    Some more 90 degree female quick disconnect crimp-on connectors.
I should be able to get most of the wiring for the relays done before the weekend, and get to actually try it out this coming Saturday. I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh.. went through the trouble of making a wiring harness for the relays, and today I found some pre-made ones at "You Do It Electronics" (YDI) in Needham (aka, You Broke It Electronics. Because.. the majority of times you do go there it's because you broke something. :laughing: ).

The only thing that's taking some time is figuring out a way to tap into the original headlight wiring without cutting it, and to make a new plug that'd plug in the back of the headlights themselves. I was hoping to find a connector that I could just plug into the stock harness, and then another connector to plug into the back of the headlights so I could revert to the original wiring if need be, and it'd be impossible to tell that the wiring had been modified.

Oh well.. I'm going to try and hook up one of the relays tomorrow by just doing a press fit of the wires using female and male quick disconnect tabs. If it works good, I may consider cutting the stock headlight wiring harnesses, and adding some weatherproof quick disconnects to them.

Here's a pic of the wiring harnesses and the fusebox.

On the harnesses:

Yellow: 12V in (from fusebox).
Blue: 12V out (to headlight harness)
White/Black: To existing wiring harness (what would normally be attached to the back of the headlight. What energizes the relay and makes the high current side conduct).
Red: Unused. These relays only have four contacts. They have some five contact relays from Bosch at YDI that can be used too (12V 30A). Kept the red leads in place in case I ever need them.

On the fusebox, the uppermose wire goes to the battery, and the lower wires (only one attached in the picture) goes to the left and right headlights, and would attach to the yellow wires on the harnesses.

Not shown: Four black grounding wires, and second power wire to the passenger side of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IT'S ALIVE!!! [b]ALIVE!!!!![/b]

WOOOHOOO!! IT WORKS GREAT!

While not HID, there is a distinct brightness increase with the relays!

Gonna stop by Acura on Monday and see if I can get the H1 bulb bases, so I won't have to hack mine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
crazy_canuck said:
show some pics of the lights!
As soon as I make it a permanant part of the car I will take some photos.

The way I had it in the car was a hack, and I *HATE* hacks. I'd rather take the time and make it look pro than just fudge it in there. The way I had it in was to wire-wrap the power leads for the blubs to the back of the H1 harnesses, and I just had the relay leads pressed into the wiring connector in the car. DEFINITELY not something I'd trust for the long term, but as a test, it was sufficient. I want to get the H1 lamp holders from Acura (or any place else), so I won't have to splice into the wiring harness. I'm going to see if I can find a connector that can plug into the back of the H1 harness while I'm at it too so I won't have to use male quick disconnects.

By then (later this week hopefully) I'll also get my Philips BlueVision H1 lamps in, so I can take a picture of those too to show people what they look like.

On another note, it's a sad day (for me at least). Just found out that Megadeth has disbanded because Dave has nerve damage in one of his arms. :( Gonna miss them a lot, since Metallica isn't around anymore it seems. Not to mention Metallica lost their edge a LONG time ago too. OK, so it's off topic. Sue me :p

[edit]

Looks like I won't have to buy the OEM headlamp connector bases from the dealer. I managed to find some female quick disconnect terminals that are the right size. I'm gonna try to make a water barrier out of some foam rubber to keep the connections dry.

[/edit]

·
No place like 127.0.0.1
3,301 Posts
yea i was gonna say that i stopped by canadian tire and wal mart and i could not find H1 bases....

The harness principal should work since i say an 9.8% and 13.4% increase in the power from the low and high beams. This was found with an voltmeter... but it was for a JGC with 9006/9005 bulbs...

link to another person who got better than my results here with pics of his output...

http://www.jeepunlimited.com/zj/harness/

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jamwong said:
Klingon Bird of prey? Come on dude...
It's an inside joke between me and a friend of mine.

He was the guy who practically dragged me by my scalp to test drive the RSX Type-S. While I was beating on the demo car, he made a joke that the car looked like a Klingon Bird of Prey in the Star Trek movie (the one they go back to save the whales.. forget the exact name of the movie, but it doesn't really matter..), where the whaling vessel fires it's harpoon and it just bounces off of the cloaked Klingon ship.

So.. being the comedian I am, I took that and ran with it. :laughing:

I found a bird of prey figuring (plastic), got some touch-up paint, painted it the same color as my car, and hung it from the rear-view mirror.

When I showed it to him, he nearly busted a blood vessel in his head from laughing.

Afterwards it kinds grew on me, so I left it there.

So, you see, it's not because I think my RSX-S is the shitznit and it's truely a KBOP, but rather it's there more from a humor point of stance. I do think my car's pretty nice though, so that's why I didn't go ahead and put the Klingon insignia decals on the car like another friend suggested I do. Really.. c'mon.. that's where I draw the line!

It could be worse ya know..

I've got a female friend who owns a black 3000GT, and she has some handcuffs dangling from the mirror.

EVERYBODY thinks it's because she's a kinky sorta woman (well.. she is to a degree.. but that's besides the point!). In reality they're a keepsake from an old boyfriend/friend who was a cop who died from cancer (if I remember correctly).

So LIGHTEN UP ALREADY! :p Not everything is as it seems ya know!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts