Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a few obvious problems, and would like constructive criticism. This was my first time trying to paint any car part. So heres my problem, I ordered touch up paint, came in a can and i bought clear and primer. The lip I painted was a offbrand polyurethane lip off of ebay.
Anyway the obvious question I have is, did i do something wrong or does the paint seem to be a couple shades too light? I scuffed the lip with 2k grit, did a coat of adhesive promoter, did 2 coats of primer white (krylon if it matters), did 2 coats with the base touch up paint they sent me, then i did 2 coats of clear. My next attempt I would probably sand before I clear but the paint wasnt matching up like I thought it would so I just proceeded to clear it. Going back to my question, is it me, is it the touch up paint, is it the wierd polyurethane lip or is is a combination of any of the above? Dont worry you wont hurt my feelings :laughat:

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
artic blue pearl is near impossible to match up exactly even if you shoot out of a gun. The different levels of air pressure determine the lightness or darkness. I'm sure you did a decent job at painting it but theres no way its going to match the shade exactly no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it turned out really well for my first job, ima rock the lighter lip untill they send me a darker mixture? Thanks for caressin my ego :thumbsup:

·
isn't actually rich...
671 Posts
Looks good man, only things I could suggest..
Use something a little rougher than 2k grit sandpaper to roughen up the surface first, 2k is realllllly fine for that..
I'd use maybe like 3-4 coats of base coat, spraying very light coats at a time to ensure no runs and even coverage. Then like at least 3 coats of clear to cover that, and then wetsanding and buffing to make it shine like the rest.

That way you get a little bit deeper paint that holds a little better to the surface.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good man, only things I could suggest..
Use something a little rougher than 2k grit sandpaper to roughen up the surface first, 2k is realllllly fine for that..
I'd use maybe like 3-4 coats of base coat, spraying very light coats at a time to ensure no runs and even coverage. Then like at least 3 coats of clear to cover that, and then wetsanding and buffing to make it shine like the rest.

That way you get a little bit deeper paint that holds a little better to the surface.:thumbsup:
Yeah it was the only grit I had around, I was more excited to see how the pant came out than making sure I had the right equuipment :(

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Primer, wet sand the primer with 800-1500 sandpaper, was it with a lint free rag and alcohol then paint clearcoat wet sand the clearcoat with 2k sandpaper buff to a high gloss finish.

P.S. Yes the pressure you paint will determines how dark or light it is, the problem with matching any kind of paint is its not truly oem paint. Think about it, the whole entire car is painted at the same time. Once it leaves no paint will match especially the older the car gets.

·
Billy Ball is in effect
7,013 Posts
It may match better in natural light in the sun. My yellow S2000's panels look mismatched in my garage, but match perfectly in daylight.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may match better in natural light in the sun. My yellow S2000's panels look mismatched in my garage, but match perfectly in daylight.
yeah its not all that bad matched in the light, its still a few shades too light, good thing is the company I bought from is going to send me another can with a different mix for no charge. ..... Round 2

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
yeah its not all that bad matched in the light, its still a few shades too light, good thing is the company I bought from is going to send me another can with a different mix for no charge. ..... Round 2
thats a deal. most places let you know up front they arent gonna remix just cause it doesnt match. trial and error till you find someone that can actually mix paint and then its usually close enough people wont notice unless they know what they are doing.

definitely needs a buff though before you can really tell, but looks fairly close.

·
Registered
233 Posts
just spray canned my front bumper too. Yours looks better than mine... i have drip marks and orange peels. Great Job!

·
Grammar Nazi
476 Posts

That's a damn good job, but I'm in for moar pics of that beauty in the garage :giggity:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts