Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as some of you may know, my car was keyed big time. I finally got the insurance to pay me. I dropped the car off at the bodyshop monday. They will be painting the hood, front bumper, left fender, left door, rear left quarter panel and rear bumper. I CANT WAT till i get it back, i hate driving the rental (Mercury Sable).
Few questions for you fellas.

I plan on claying the parts that didnt get painted, Do i need to clay the WHOLE car? i dont think i need to clay what just got painted right?
and then i was thining like 3 coats of wax all around to make the car look somewhat the same.

and one more, have any of you heard of Invinca Shield . http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm
It's a clear film that goes like a bra to cover hood, bumper and stuff so you dont get paint chips. ITs like $120 for the RSX kit, do you think its worth it? does it really work, any downsides to it?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That sux, I'm sorry to hear it. The clear bra that you speak of works quite well. My friend's dad has it on his M3 and said, "It's worth every penny!" His front end is virtually spotless, so I'd trust it.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
Smokin RSX-S said:
I plan on claying the parts that didnt get painted, Do i need to clay the WHOLE car? i dont think i need to clay what just got painted right? and then i was thining like 3 coats of wax all around to make the car look somewhat the same.
you can clay bar just panels of the car if you want. i usually claybar my rear bumper more than anything else since dirt loves to stick to it :(. i guess you could say my car has as attractive rear :D

btw, i had to drive an impala when my car was in the shop. that thing was huge! i wasnt use to parking with it so one time i knocked over some trach cans,LOL

good luck with everything

·
RSXOG - DC5'in since 2002
363 Posts
Should be great stuff if they use 3M :) It does show a tiny bit of yellow tint on lighter colored cars like mine. I gave up on my front bumper already. It's a bit chrewed up after 30k miles and I would probably need to repaint before I did that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just a word of warning here..

DONT wax that car for a good 3 months after it gets painted. I wouldnt even polish it..just wash it.

sounds funny but take my word..waxing that car when it comes out of the shop from a fresh coat of paint will do more damage than good..

ask the guy who's painting the car...he'll testify to this im sure

·
Registered
318 Posts
some girl hit my car...insurance is taking for ever!!! my cars been in the shop for a week and they havent started working on it yet because insurance hasnt given them the go.. i havent driven my car for 3 weeks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i Just called the dealer that painted it and they said it was fine.
They said it was fully cured already becuase they cook it for a day. (put it in this dome thing with heaters and stuff).

Should I do it?

Oh i forgot to mention I have a lifetime warranty against cracking/fading of clear coat, or any other abnormalities.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The guy that tinted my window says that the invisa-film stuff works to keep scrates off, but if its left on long it can actully adhere to teh paint. Just a fair warning

·
Yeah ok
343 Posts
Smokin RSX-S said:
i Just called the dealer that painted it and they said it was fine.
They said it was fully cured already becuase they cook it for a day. (put it in this dome thing with heaters and stuff).

Should I do it?

Oh i forgot to mention I have a lifetime warranty against cracking/fading of clear coat, or any other abnormalities.

you should be good to wax whenever you want then, just as long as it defanitly has been cured...but if it hasnt wait a couple months.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yea that film is awsome, my cousin had it on his black porsche 911 turbo and man that thing had no scratches on it. He drove it everyday, in almost any weather in san antonio texas. Then when he went to the dealer to trade it in they took off the film and the front end was perfect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yah my friend's brother put it on his s 55 amg...and that baby is spotles...definately reccomend it ;)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Smokin RSX-S said:
Ok as some of you may know, my car was keyed big time. I finally got the insurance to pay me. I dropped the car off at the bodyshop monday. They will be painting the hood, front bumper, left fender, left door, rear left quarter panel and rear bumper. I CANT WAT till i get it back, i hate driving the rental (Mercury Sable).
Few questions for you fellas.

I plan on claying the parts that didnt get painted, Do i need to clay the WHOLE car? i dont think i need to clay what just got painted right?
and then i was thining like 3 coats of wax all around to make the car look somewhat the same.

and one more, have any of you heard of Invinca Shield . http://www.invinca-shield.com/main.htm
It's a clear film that goes like a bra to cover hood, bumper and stuff so you dont get paint chips. ITs like $120 for the RSX kit, do you think its worth it? does it really work, any downsides to it?

Thanks guys.
Remember to give your new paint a curing period before you wax. If you were to wax too early your paint will end up looking pretty horrible.

·
Come on England
22,948 Posts
i recommend not waxing the car for a few months. even if it's cured, you can still damage the paint. as for the clear nose mask.. this is one of the things i offer here at the dealership. they are excellent.. they work 10 times better than the black vinyl bras. you dont have to clean underneath them, you really dont have to do anything special at all to them.

oh, and btw, we charge $469 for ours so if you're getting yours for $120, i say go for it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts