Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dead again.
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car is gutted sans the carpet and the drivers seat. Some of you know this.

I will indeed be removing the carpet as per helms manual's directions. But, I figure that while I am at it, I would love to change the floor carpetting to red, like the JDM type R. Absolutely LOVE to.

The car is too new for anyone to have any kits for it... there was a similar thread. Is there any way I can just buy a big piece of automotive carpet in the color I want, and fit it myself? I figure, lay the old black carpet over the red, and cut the same size out, and just tuck it in nicely.

The labor isnt my issue, its more of the money involved, and where I can get the carpet. I don't know anything about car apholstering. Anybody in here can help me out with this? Thanks a billion - you might be rewarded with cool pix.

·
Dead again.
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I actually work at an interior design store that sells tons of carpet. Its primarily a carpet/wallpaper/fabric store, and they have toooons of stuff, but none of it is specifically "automotive carpet". Do you think I could get a big piece, cut it the same size as the stock, and put it in the car? Automotove carpet has a rubber backing and its formed to the cars shape. I wonder how much of a chore it would be to do what I am looking for.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Choser said:
I actually work at an interior design store that sells tons of carpet. Its primarily a carpet/wallpaper/fabric store, and they have toooons of stuff, but none of it is specifically "automotive carpet". Do you think I could get a big piece, cut it the same size as the stock, and put it in the car? Automotove carpet has a rubber backing and its formed to the cars shape. I wonder how much of a chore it would be to do what I am looking for.
i wonder if it would be possible to dye your carpet into a different color?

if it was possible, i bet you it would be a lot cheaper to dye it than replace it plus labor.

·
Dead again.
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose somehow it could be bleached white, and then dyed red. But I don't know anything about that at all. Thanks to the both of you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
wouldnt it be a problem if

its right handed drive? i mean the carpet is shaped and cut so its for right hand drive style since its jdm right?

·
Dead again.
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I searched and searched and searched, couldnt find the carpet on ebay. It would indeed be right hand, but I didn't know how that would effect the carpet. They design cars to reduce the # of different parts, for cost reasons. I'm sure that if the carpets did differ, they might be easily modified to fit. Things that I can think of that may effect the fit of the carpet would be the fuel take release level... the carpet does mold over that.

Other things that might differ are to the fact that the seats are different, and perhaps so are their mounts? I don't think so though. But I know that the chassis differs for structural reasons, so it might be a complete no-fit, but that I do not know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts