Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Thats my shorty
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have a problem that I can figure out. When Im sitting at a light with the Ac off my car idles at about 950 rpm. When I turn on the AC the idle starts to dip to 100 and go up to 950 constantly and the AC spits warm air until I start driving and then when Im driving the car is fine. Any one have any ideas what the problem is?

Im running a mag tune on my car with a rbc and type-s tb and test pipe. Let me know if you need more info.

·
KING
48,111 Posts
mine does the same thing..im sure most of the rsx's do that...im running exhaust rh and intake..prolly bc of the rh or you..your test pipe

·

304 Posts
It's perfectly normal for the idle to drop a bit when the condenser kicks in, so long as the motor doesn't shake really bad when that happens. And the warm air is probably just warm air that was sitting in the system before you turned the A/C on.

But if the A/C only runs cold when you're moving and goes warm every time you stop, you have a problem.

·
Thats my shorty
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i was hoping its ok but it seems a bit bad if the rev drops down to only 100rpms and the car shakes. I gotta hit the gas to keep it from idling hard.

·
Thats my shorty
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea thats NOT normal....
With the AC on already, when you come to a stop does it still blow out cold air??
No the rpms drop and then the air goes warm. I gotta step on the gas a little to keep the rpms at 1k.

·
Thats my shorty
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It should idle at 750 not 950. Check the IACV. (Idle Air Control Valve)
I dunno mine is at 950 because of my tune. I think Ima pull of the throttle body off and clean the whole thing including the IACV cause I think its messed up.

·
Rotary Trooper
542 Posts
I am gonna say the clutch on the compressor is going out. if not that, then the whole compressor. My thoughts are that the higher rpms during driving force it to rotate, but with less force being exerted on it, it drags the belt, causing the car to choke, and isn't pumping either.

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
According to Helms (pg 11-148)
no load
K20A3 650 rpm +/- 50
K20A2 700 rpm +/- 50

Blower on HI and air con ON
K20A3 720 +/- 50
K20A2 780 +/- 50

So with air con ON it should idle a bit higher (+70 or +80 rpm) but if it's dropping to 100 rpm that's very bad.

·
Thats my shorty
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
today i pulled off my TB and cleaned my IACV, then re-adjusted my throttle cables. Then I adjusted the off set for the TPS in K pro it was off by 2.2. Now the car drives perfect no dips and the throttle response is much more crisp.

·
Thats my shorty
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well done. Was the IACV dirty?
Yeah it was filthy, buts its my fault I purchased it used and I forgot to clean the valve before I put the TB on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
okay so Im having similar issue, when I've got my ac on and I come to a stop or let off the gas and (manual, base model) clutch or put it in neutral rpm dips down to 500 then comes back up to 750ish. at first it would shake when it did it and would actual just kind of oscillate between 500 and 750 as long as I wasn't hitting the throttle. i cleaned my iacv and it started working great, rpm actually went up to about 900 with ac on, but it would also ramdomly go up to about 12-1500rpm when I'd let off gas then drop back down slowly. well.. that lasted about 3 days. then it started doing the same shit all over again. so I said fuck this and slapped a brand new duralast iacv on. great news, it still drops to 500 coming to a stop, but doesn't oscillate. improvement yes?. I also noticed a slight hp gain but other than that I'm still very unhappy. especially because I had someone order it through their business account at half usual cost and can't return it. now here's the kicker, it didn't come with a new gasket and I couldn't find any parts store in town that could get me one same day and I was going on a road trip so I had to get it on same day. what are the odds thatvit is just that gasket fucking everything up at this point? or what else could be causing my issue?. thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
okay so Im having similar issue, when I've got my ac on and I come to a stop or let off the gas and (manual, base model) clutch or put it in neutral rpm dips down to 500 then comes back up to 750ish. at first it would shake when it did it and would actual just kind of oscillate between 500 and 750 as long as I wasn't hitting the throttle. i cleaned my iacv and it started working great, rpm actually went up to about 900 with ac on, but it would also ramdomly go up to about 12-1500rpm when I'd let off gas then drop back down slowly. well.. that lasted about 3 days. then it started doing the same shit all over again. so I said fuck this and slapped a brand new duralast iacv on. great news, it still drops to 500 coming to a stop, but doesn't oscillate. improvement yes?. I also noticed a slight hp gain but other than that I'm still very unhappy. especially because I had someone order it through their business account at half usual cost and can't return it. now here's the kicker, it didn't come with a new gasket and I couldn't find any parts store in town that could get me one same day and I was going on a road trip so I had to get it on same day. what are the odds thatvit is just that gasket fucking everything up at this point? or what else could be causing my issue?. thanks guys
Ever figure it out?? I am having the same issue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts