Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WHO DAT
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 RSX Type-S

I'm having some serious issues with my car idling. For some unknown reason, my car engine is stuggling to stay on at idle. The rpm appears to surge up and down (between 1,000rpm and down to 300rpm; the idle speed at the time was at 1,000 rpm), and then stalls (engine shuts down completely). This started happening earlier last night when I approached a stop light coming off the freeway. My car, for no apparent reason, stalled and then the check engine light (CEL) went on as well as the battery light. The steering wheel then became stiff (power steering was disabled). I then proceeded to restart the engine, but the rpm kept on dropping, basically wanting to shut down. I decided to tap on the gas to keep the engine running. It took awhile for me to get the car moving again and so I pulled into the nearest parking lot. At the time I had no idea what had happened to my car (and I still don't know). I popped the hood and took a look at the engine. Nothing appeared to be off or damage in any way. There was no smoke coming from anywhere of the car nor any unusual sounds. I checked the spark plugs, throttle body and throttle body cable, resetted the battery, disconnected and reconnected the ECU (it's K-Pro'ed off from an 02-04 RSX-S), and still my car engine was struggling to stay on at idle. I then preceeded to pull out my lap top and connect it to my ECU. Without any luck whatsoever, I decided to upload another calibration (from my other tuner) onto my ECU, but still there was no change. I then decided to bring the idle speed to 1,500rpm from 1,000rpm. This actually made a slight difference with the idle. At first there weren't any change, but as I continuously tapped on the gas to keep the rpm up, the engine stayed alive. I took the car out of the parking lot for a test drive and it runs just fine. When I got back home, I decided to bring the idle speed back down to 1,000rpm to see if everything is fine again, but unfortunately the engine just stalls. I tried tapping the gas as the rpm dropped but still, no luck in keeping it running. This is a major problem!

That is pretty much the whole story of the unfortunate incident. Some suggestions and/or advice would be nice.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

~Nhien

·
Registered
293 Posts
this happened to me on my last integra
i drove over a big puddle for like 5 seconds (no other choice, and no cai) and my ecu got wet and the same thing happened, had to tow it to the garage
so i had to get the ecu replaced once replaced it went back to normal

·
Registered
944 Posts
so you have a k-pro. You might want to check the tune a bit. Maybe increase the Idle valve duty Cycle so it can keep the RPM up.

It happened to me few times too. Also maybe check your AF. You might be running lean on the idle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try takeing your IAC (idle air control) get some brakleen and clean that sucker out. spray with the brakleen then blow off with air. see if that works.

·
WHO DAT
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally resolved the problem. Turns out it was my crank sensor that was acting up. I had it replaced off from another RSX.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts