Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· DC5spd
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much HP gain would I get? Someone told me that I can finally hear the sound of IVtec!!! which would be cool. Are type S' and base models have the same internals (piston ,rods, etc), if so, changing the head would change the compression??????? Would i have the same Hp as the "S"?

Who here have done this ??/

thanks in advance
ric

· Absolute Pro-Formance
9,890 Posts
From what I know you WILL NOT have the same HP as the type-S

· DC5spd
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much HP gain you think i can attain? anybody have done this?

· DC5spd
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
breakdown said:
Its a waste of time and money...since you want the sound of VTEC its better use the cash for a K20A.

i agree with that route. Although, how much would that cost? 6k including labor?

· It's は時間行く!!!
36 Posts
True the cost is steep, but you get what you pay for. Might as well go all the way. Less of a hassle than to swap the engine parts.

To my knowledge, I never read any of the other A3 owners swapping engine parts..Its already been talked about, but never been done.

· Banned
2,133 Posts
im doing it, i just bought my K20A2 Head. Im not doing it to "hear vtec" thats the gayest reason to do a swap. All that time and money into a sound. might as well buy te turbo spooling device from ebay and a flame thrower exhaust as well.

Im doing it to open up the way for N/a turbo and SC with better results.

Hp will not be as high. You also need rods pistons, im, tb, ecu, injectors, fuel rail and labor.

· Registered
258 Posts
RSXn Mo said:
im doing it, i just bought my K20A2 Head. Im not doing it to "hear vtec" thats the gayest reason to do a swap. All that time and money into a sound. might as well buy te turbo spooling device from ebay and a flame thrower exhaust as well.

Im doing it to open up the way for N/a turbo and SC with better results.

Hp will not be as high. You also need rods pistons, im, tb, ecu, injectors, fuel rail and labor.
ya I've got the same idea, but not doing rods pistons.... do you see problems?

· Registered
479 Posts
I remember some base owner having a2 head and intake manifold along with the type-s hondata reflash. I'll have to look through my many posted threads to find his name.

From what I heard, gains aren't that great and isn't worth it. As others mentioned, might as well spend like another 1500-2500 to do the whole swap and get much better gains...but it's your car and I'll still be interested to see how it goes. Good luck for those attempting it.

· Registered
1,952 Posts
...hahaha...another thread to get people mad at me...im not sayinh what im about to say to insult you really, more to educate:

"How much HP gain would I get? "

-you would gain some top end from increase flow and you could run at higher RPM with a kpro for some gains......as for #'s...maybe 5-10whp. With the intake manifold maybe 10-15whp, but your ECU will fight it without some mod.

"Someone told me that I can finally hear the sound of IVtec!!! which would be cool."

-although cool.....if that is the reason you want to do this...no i wont say it.

"Are type S' and base models have the same internals (piston ,rods, etc), if so, changing the head would change the compression???????"

-essentially, all internals are different, well the major ones anyways. The head has nothing to do with compression really...compression is determined by the crown or depression (basin) on the head of the piston....and i guess the head gasket makes a negligible diff as well.

" Would i have the same Hp as the "S"? "

-no

....another GT3 victim

· Banned
2,133 Posts
With that statement:

The other thread the guy swapped the intake mani, ecu, and head, all that does is change the vtec ingagement point. So the base would be running at 12 valvs up to like 5000 rpm and then 16 valves, yes you would "hear vtec" but you would gain nothing. purley rice.

NOW: A head swap, with intake mani, exhaust mani, head, pistons, rods, ecu, throttle body, and type-s down pipe header, and exhaust. Then the gains are good. You will still not have the same HP as the type-s but it opens the window to many many many things. Example, Greddy Turbo, CN TURBO with higher gains, and JR SC, also you can now go NA and actually gain hp.

I am swapping the type-s head and everything else. I am also buying a 6speed tranny at it too. All the parts that Im buying are going to be built up before the install. And with the head off i can get forged pistons rods and maybe sleeve my block while im at it.

· Registered
3,079 Posts
yeahi said:
yes a key point to the lower numbers the turbo kits put out on a base lies behind the HEAD. The type-s head is more free flowing than a base head...I want a type-s head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:iamwiths: The only benefit I see from putting a K20A2 head on a K20A3 block is if you're going force induction because the K20A2 head flow so much better. Even then it would still not perform as well as a pure K20A2, but might be better than a pure K20A3. If you're staying naturally aspirated with a K20A2 head and K20A3 block then I personally wouldn't waste my money.

· Banned
2,133 Posts
you could still go na but you would be limited due to the fact that you cant really raise the revs higher, and the compression you cant really go much higher either.

Im planning on going F/I and wanting a solid car.

Also with the head swap what type of gas would you use. med or super.

· DC5spd
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow...thanks for all the good info's guyz. Sorry, Im such a noob on this particular topic. Thanks for not flaming me as well. Im prolly lookin into doing a K20 swap in the future. Again, thanks for all the useful information

ric

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.