Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
I am not sure I did anything special really, it really was about the members and the volunteer mods and admin. I had an idea and ran it a little different than other people have in the past and it worked for the most part.

the new forum might just be something that is more off topic than anything else. the biggest thing is I am not sure if there is a place for it, there are a lot of forums out there and I am not going to pretend that I would be offering anything different.
Chris let me or musty know if you need an investor. I'm serious. I don't know if we'll agree on everything, but you certainly proven a worthy investment no matter what you do. I def believe there will always be a need for an interactive website like the one you created. As long as direction/business model is clear, I can work with that.

Thanks for the part about volunteer mods. I appreciate that, because everyone should know, though I had my disagreements about things, I worked hard behind the scenes killing spammers and approving posts, the b/s unglamorous clean up work that seemed C and I did the most work with at one point - and of course erik.

Speaking of erik - yea he clamped down hard, but I think he wanted to create a clearer rule structure - which lack of got people in trouble and confused - including me. Plus I think it was back lash - so much time of crsx being out of hand he used a hammer.

I'm going to finish reading through this thread but for now I have to ask. Wes/Agent Smith - what is the difference between the old days when lounge abuse/drama spilled over to COTM or member show off threads and the Octagon? I get that rules or lack of them is clear - but why would this experimental sub-forum not cause damage in other areas of the site as was proven happened in the past? Just a question?

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
I'm going to finish reading through this thread but for now I have to ask. Wes/Agent Smith - what is the difference between the old days when lounge abuse/drama spilled over to COTM or member show off threads and the Octagon? I get that rules or lack of them is clear - but why would this experimental sub-forum not cause damage in other areas of the site as was proven happened in the past? Just a question?
people are going to troll, talk shit, and do other things that are considered unacceptable. it's never going to be possible to keep all of those types of posts and people confined to one subforum, but if we can keep a lot of it, or even some of it in a designated area, then we've made life easier on the staff, and people who don't want to see it. as it stands now, there's no outlet type subforum, and people are going to be people, if they want to troll now, it's going happen in whatever subforum they happen to be in. i'm guessing you're referring to rsx vs all. the worst problems on crsx happened without having to do with anything else. socal, canada east, the trolls in the lounge pissed off because of the bar, individual people like cla, constant flame wars only in tech subforums like juicyjoint316 and danish. i also don't agree with it being proven that these types of subforums spill over into others. you can see a correlation that x user posts in here, and that user trolled in x thread in a tech subforum. well, he may have mentioned something that happened in here, but does that mean he would be a model poster if this subforum didn't exist? or is it more likely that he would have trolled anyway, because it's the kind of person he is? so many people do things only because they aren't allowed to do it. make it so they can do it, and it loses its allure.

i thought of doing this by copying another forum. svtperformance.com... the one that have is called smackdown. i spoke with their staff for a while, saw how it worked, participated, and the staff advised me on how their infraction count and bans went down after implementing it. there are people who want to see the world burn that it doesn't work for, but most forum members who participate like being on the forum and if given a choice of trolling or talking shit and not getting in trouble, as opposed to getting in trouble, they'll choose the former. i personally think the changes we've made this year have been good comparing the statistics (members registering, amount of threads and posts, etc.) from this year to last year. there has been a steady decrease in everything over the years, most noticeably happening in 2009 up. 2012 to 2013 was another noticeable time, but 2014 was the first year that everything either stabilized, or increased. most of it just stabilized and didn't continue to decrease, but some actually did increase. this happened with less punitive action taking place. of the 45 infractions/warnings on the first page in the infraction subforum, only 14 of them are for things other than ignoring marketplace rules (no pictures in thread etc.) granted, we have less activity than several years ago, so there won't be as many infractions, but compared to last year we have more activity. the octagon has been up for nearly 6 months now, and we haven't had any kind of spillover to other subforums. i'm sure the rest of the staff would verify that it's been pretty smooth this year. subforums such as rsx vs all weren't intended to let people troll and run their mouths, it was for people to talk about races, and those types of people just ended up congregating there. if there's some kind of issue, you quarantine it, this is intended to work that way. there has been plenty of time now for people to list their grievances due to problems caused by the octagon, but none have been brought to my attention.

is this different than something that would have happened in 2005? yes. was there a new member introduction subforum around? no, but it's become very popular now. what would happen if we implemented the rules, and forum layout just like 2007? anything? most people want the forum to be how it was during their favorite time here. there's nothing i can do about that. the people that have been gone for years are going to stay gone, and nobody can make them come back. i've asked for suggestions from people who bitch about it just to get responses like "not my problem." well, these people have grievances, but nobody has suggestions for increasing activity outside of wanting it to be 2007 again. i did something, i made several changes, otherwise the forum would continue to stagnate into oblivion. we can change things so everyone's stay here is more fun and pleasant so they want to stay around, but there's no change to the forum itself that can be made to make it a great forum... it's the people that are here that do that. if we had different rules, and a different layout in 2008, i still would have enjoyed my time here because of the people that were here, not the forum itself. so i've done what i can do give people incentives to come around, and see if they like it here. btw, the staff has been a great help with suggestions, and ironing things out. most notably AzianK as he was in the process of trying to get activity up before he became a moderator, he's been instrumental in the increase in activity, especially in the bar.

well, i've typed enough, i'm sure most people will be tired of reading this post once they get a third of the way through. maybe i'll check for spelling and grammar later.

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
Well you seem to have certainly put a lot of thought into it. I ask because I'm curious to see what works and doesn't work and why. I learned a lot about chat forums and the internet during my time on this website, and wouldn't mind using that education and continuing it. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
hey you are premie now Jeannie, check rep lol
Well I should have always been since it is a crsx courtesy Chris always did for mods to thank them for service - free life time premie. Wes corrected the oversight for me.

I did pay for premie when I was reg. member, how else could I read all my neg reps from Hoy.

The first thing I should do is put my rsx sig pick back up. I still have her, she runs great but the mf keeps getting hit. I got hit 2 x's with in a 3 weeks this month - cut-off side swipe and rear end. Car is ok but I'm a fucking wreck again. In fact that's how I got started on crsx, convalescing after accident seven yrs ago almost to the day of these 2, Just when I think I'm out they drag me back in (crsx and chronic pain) I guess that's why I'm back. Falling into bad habits again.

Got go dig up my sig picture

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
this one?

yeah I don't want to appear lame but I can't seem to call it up. It says I have to many words in my sig but I've always had this many -- actually less. I'll try again,

fixed - I just had to cut down my sig quotes or something.

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
I miss Nick. Jaycer was the biggest troll ever, but he was a funny fuck
Yeah, nick was always one of the most helpful people 6 and 7 years ago. Jaycer said such random stuff just out of the blue, lol.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts