Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had tried to get my immobilizer reprogrammed prior to the k-pro upgrade on the PRB ecu that I bought. However, scheduling conflicts & impatience resulted in me getting the k-pro upgrade done before getting the immobilizer reprogrammed.

So I get the k-pro with the immobilizer disabled, and everything is all gravy as far as the ecu goes - BUT - the immoblizier light kept flashing at me. all . . the . . . time. Like, i'm going straight, and out of the corner of my eye, I see a green light flashing, so I think my turn signal is on. . . .WRONG. The little green immoblizer key is flashing .. . all . . the .. . time. So freaking annoying. I had to get that shit fixed asap, so I made an appointment to get it reprogrammed. Today was the appointment date.

I had read previously that the k-pro upgrade did not interfere with the immoblizer circuitry so I was confident they could get it done. Well, their lead tech looked at it for over an hour using the HDS (honda diagnostic system) basically a big touch screen computer that hooks in via the obd II port. I had previously gotten the PCM-immoblizer code from a honda dealership, but the HDS kept rejecting the code and telling him that the immobilizer was faulty. So we hooked up my stock ecu to see if it could talk to my stock ecu - no dice. So at this point, they tell me to try at a honda dealership to see if their scan tool will do it - the tech was pretty sure that the HDS was the same for both honda and acura, but he called in a favor at a neighboring dealership and got someone out to look at my car. Lo and behold, it takes this guy 10 minutes to reprogram my keys! and he had never dealt with this particular situation before. I was so freaking happy. After waiting 2 hours at acura, this guy does it in 10 min. He doesn't even charge me!

Anyhow, here's what I learned from the whole ordeal. The immobilizer works by storing the unique code from each key in the ECU. The transponder in the ignition key cylinder reads the code and sends it to the ECU which then checks the code to see if it's in the list of stored codes. If it is, the car starts, if the code is not on the stored list, then the car won't start. The problem that I encountered is that the honda & acura immobilizer systems are slightly different. Fortunately, the dealership can re-flash the immoblizier control unit - so the Acura program on the PRB immobilizer was re-flashed to the Honda immobilizer program. Then the technician was able to add my keys to the k-pro ecu.

I was so freaking happy when it was all done. I missed over half a day of work to get it done, but no more green light! I lucked out and didn't even have to drop the usual 90+ bucks to get it done.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
chunk, so what immobilizer flash was on there in the first place then? a honda immoiblizer? me confuzzled :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
all you have to do is disable the immobilizer then take the sterring column off and take the green plug-in off and the light will go off.if the green one is not it then try the next plug-in.there are only three but i think its the green one.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
krystar said:
chunk, so what immobilizer flash was on there in the first place then? a honda immoiblizer? me confuzzled :)
To clarify, I drive a 2002 civic si. The ecu I had upgraded to the k-pro is from an RSX type-s (PRB ecu). The transponder in my ignition key cylinder is the factory honda civic si one.

Apparently the software on the immobilizer chip must match the type of transponder in your ignition key cylinder for the system to work. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the acura & honda keys and wether or not a honda key will work with an acura transponder.

The technician erased the ACURA immobilizer program on the ECU, then re-wrote the HONDA immobilizer program onto the ECU so that it would work with my honda transponder. Once he did that, he was able to add the keys to the ecu's immobilizer system.

Make sense?

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moses187 said:
all you have to do is disable the immobilizer then take the sterring column off and take the green plug-in off and the light will go off.if the green one is not it then try the next plug-in.there are only three but i think its the green one.
Heh, see, I like having the immobilizer b/c it keeps my car from being so easily jacked. I read somewhere in the Hondata documentation that you could unplug the transponder to get rid of the immobilizer light, but I would much rather pay the $$$ for a reprogram than to disable such an effective anti-theft device. I lucked out and got it done for free, so it all worked out for me! :)

·
Got torque?
1,061 Posts
hey man i noticed that your from atl.. what acura dealer did you go to??

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
chunky said:
Heh, see, I like having the immobilizer b/c it keeps my car from being so easily jacked. I read somewhere in the Hondata documentation that you could unplug the transponder to get rid of the immobilizer light, but I would much rather pay the $$$ for a reprogram than to disable such an effective anti-theft device. I lucked out and got it done for free, so it all worked out for me! :)
shit thats great if you got it done free i would do the same.they want to charge like $100 to do it.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
02-rsx-type-s said:
hey man i noticed that your from atl.. what acura dealer did you go to??
I went to baranco on the southside since a bunch of my friends work there. The place that actually got it done was South Honda.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
moses187 said:
shit thats great if you got it done free i would do the same.they want to charge like $100 to do it.
yep. Acura quoted 94$, south honda said if they were going to charge me, it'd be one hour shop labor, which is about 70$.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
ahhh chunky. makes sense :thumbsup:

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
chunky said:
The problem that I encountered is that the honda & acura immobilizer systems are slightly different...
Thanks for this write-up! It is certain to help others who find themselves in the same position in the future. Interesting also how the seemingly smallest thing can throw a project.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
conradb212 said:
Thanks for this write-up! It is certain to help others who find themselves in the same position in the future. Interesting also how the seemingly smallest thing can throw a project.
yep. another possible solution would have been to swap the honda transponder with an acura transponder, but that would have cost me money, not to mention it's not clear wether the chip in the honda keys is compatible with the acura transponder.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
civicwithivtec said:
i have 2 engine keys, one is honda, one is acura. they both start the car :)
hmmm. i wonder if they updated the immobilizer system and there are different generations of immobilizer keys. . .

·
7,611 Posts
I know, this is an old thread but you guys know a lot about the immobilizer and programming so I wanted to ask.....

I bought a spare key (I bought my RSX used with only one key and one remote) from some chick on ebay. The only place in town that programs foreign car keys can't figure out how to enter the correct codes to program the damn thing. I just went to the only Honda dealer in town, and they claim that they can't program Acura keys!! WTF?! And the closest Acura dealer is 50 miles from here, and besides they will probably want to charge me close to $100 just to wave an electronic wand over my key.

The locksmith has already cut the key; all I need is to get it programmed so I have a spare key just in case.

Anyone know how I can get this done?

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
paulkramer said:
I know, this is an old thread but you guys know a lot about the immobilizer and programming so I wanted to ask.....

I bought a spare key (I bought my RSX used with only one key and one remote) from some chick on ebay. The only place in town that programs foreign car keys can't figure out how to enter the correct codes to program the damn thing. I just went to the only Honda dealer in town, and they claim that they can't program Acura keys!! WTF?! And the closest Acura dealer is 50 miles from here, and besides they will probably want to charge me close to $100 just to wave an electronic wand over my key.

The locksmith has already cut the key; all I need is to get it programmed so I have a spare key just in case.

Anyone know how I can get this done?
Unfortunately, there aren't any options. The Honda dealer is right: the Acura immobilizer is slightly different and the reprogramming must be done with Acura tools. Also it's a bit more than just waving a wand. They do have to connect to the ECU and it takes a bit. So I'm afraid you'll have to trek on over there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
With my hondata I just pulled the bulb out of the dash for the immobilizer....

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Any way of keeping the immobilizer?

Once you order a hondata (K-pro, not a reflash) Is there anyway to keep the immobilizer? Im from hawaii, and we only have one dealership (don't really care for their customer service, they dont take too well to the people who modify their cars)

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
if you order hondata on your original ECU, you do not have to get the immobilizer resynced.

it only applies if you are going to use an ECU that is not your original ECU.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts