Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying so be more conservative when driving to work. This is my first manual so I have a question. When you go through the first 3 gears and you get to the speed you want, say 45 mph, can you skip from 3 to 5, or 3 to 6 to keep RPMs low or will it mess up your transmission? I dont even know if this will help gas milage at all. Please share some driving wisdom

·
Name's Vic
13,046 Posts
if your going 45 then 5th sounds like a good gear to be in. You can go from 3-5 its not gonna hurt the transmission i havent heard of anyone messing it up like that. For good gas mileage u should be under 3600rpm and above oh i believe 2400rpm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bluej511 said:
if your going 45 then 5th sounds like a good gear to be in. You can go from 3-5 its not gonna hurt the transmission i havent heard of anyone messing it up like that. For good gas mileage u should be under 3600rpm and above oh i believe 2400rpm
What about driving in 6th instead of 5th?

·
Name's Vic
13,046 Posts
you can go into 6th at 45 but ur gonna need to press the gas pedal more to move the car the same amount as 5th gear, so therefore it wastes gas and instead good to strain the engine.

·
Little engine that could
1,150 Posts
Also I try to shift around 3000-3500 RPMs. The car feels slow but I find that those RPMs keeps the gas milage pretty good. With Hondata, the gas milage stays the same unless I'm always in vtec. The presence of more torque in the lower RPM range helps the car not feel as sluggish with shifting 3000-3500 RPMs. I've gotten 29 MPG on street driving. And I've gotten like 34 MPG highway driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.