Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here know of a good in-car video camera mount? I've seen a lot of guys at autocrosses lately with them, but they've all gotten there's as hand-me-downs, so no luck on where to find them. All the ones I've found so far online have been roll-cage mounted only. Anybody know?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I think I remeber seeing a camera mount just like the DIY one from the link above in the back of one of the popular car mags (Car & Driver etc.) Don't remeber which one though.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I use a tripod strapped to the side of the passengers seat. One small strap goes through the harness opening (back of the neck window) and around the tripod. BTW the legs of the tripod are all together, not opened. Then I use a longer strap to pull the base of the tripod back, toward the rear passenger seat. If you fold the read seat down and look under the carpet where the seat folds, you will find brackets to tie to. This method seems very secure and the tech guys have not given me a hard time about it.

Now if I could figure out how to transfer the video to my computer and make a mpeg out of it. Any cheap suggestions.

·
Crazy Cone Chaser
379 Posts
Todd said:
I use a tripod strapped to the side of the passengers seat. One small strap goes through the harness opening (back of the neck window) and around the tripod. BTW the legs of the tripod are all together, not opened. Then I use a longer strap to pull the base of the tripod back, toward the rear passenger seat. If you fold the read seat down and look under the carpet where the seat folds, you will find brackets to tie to. This method seems very secure and the tech guys have not given me a hard time about it.

Now if I could figure out how to transfer the video to my computer and make a mpeg out of it. Any cheap suggestions.
See I couldn't do that since I move my seat back and forth since i Like to sit as close as possible to the steering wheel, but I cannot get out of the car unless I push my seat back :)

You can get a USB audio/video thingie (sorry forget the name). At Circuit City or Walmart. Not as good as a Firewire card but I used one a couple of years ago.

Right now I have a Digital8 camcorder (as opposed to a 8mm camcorder). So there are connections on the side of mine for USB, Firewire, and audio/video connections. PIcked it up at Circuit City for $300.

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
Todd said:

anything strapped isn't gonna really fly by with SCCA depending on your local region... I just use this pump cup (suction cup with a vacuum pump) and it holds it down real well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph...6___AVF1000___REG___CatID=0___SID=F5BD0DB1370

in conjunction with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph...___BO143BKT___REG___CatID=0___SID=F5BD0DB1370

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
CivicSiRacer said:
See I couldn't do that since I move my seat back and forth since i Like to sit as close as possible to the steering wheel, but I cannot get out of the car unless I push my seat back :) snip...
The tripod is strapped to the passenger seat, not the drivers seat.

zeroryde said:
anything strapped isn't gonna really fly by with SCCA depending on your local region... snip...
By that logic, I would not be allowed in the car, as I too am only strapped in. As I said in my first post, I have not been stopped by the tech guys yet. I feel more comfortable with my strapped in thing than I would with suction cup mounting.

The coolest video setup I have seen was on a pimped out Boxter S, and he had something connected to his eco so rpm's, and speed were displayed on the monitor during playback.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Todd said:

By that logic, I would not be allowed in the car, as I too am only strapped in. As I said in my first post, I have not been stopped by the tech guys yet. I feel more comfortable with my strapped in thing than I would with suction cup mounting.

I'm glad the techs are okay with your setup -I'm going to try that when I get home. I tried opening the tripod in the back seat and bungie-ing it around the seat necks and back seat seat-belt hole -there's a metal wire of some sort if you reach in there that seems very sturdy. My DV camera moves around on the tripod connector piece (fixing that too) -otherwise, the tripod is rock-solid

The coolest video setup I have seen was on a pimped out Boxter S, and he had something connected to his eco so rpm's, and speed were displayed on the monitor during playback. [/B]
Now that would be killer!! Is it that silver boxster that showed up at the May 25th, PPIR event?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
rgdigital said:
Now that would be killer!! Is it that silver boxster that showed up at the May 25th, PPIR event?
I saw his setup at the World Arena May 11th. I think he was in X-Class. He also had a camera remote that was attached to the top right side of his windshield frame. He said he could see the front right tire on the video and watch the tire flex around corners. I wish the Apexi Rev/Speed meter of even SAFC have video outputs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In the past I have used a setup designed for clipping directly onto the window and modified it to clip onto the passenger seat - and then added a few bungie cords to add more security in case the mount fails. I picked up the mount at Mikes camera here in Denver, I don't know if there are any in CS though.

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
Todd said:

The coolest video setup I have seen was on a pimped out Boxter S, and he had something connected to his eco so rpm's, and speed were displayed on the monitor during playback.
well I'm curious to see how the tech's allow a strapped tripod to the passenger seat as it can still sorta move around esp. in autox... the suction cup I use is a pump cup and can create a vacuum powerful enough that you can't pry off..unless you break the bead by pulling on the tab really hard. I had the pump cup inspected by numerous techs...and they say it's safe... I tried the tripod method and it definitely didn't fly... most people now use the head rest method, but we can't make anything for our cars because we have no adjustable head rests...

the safest is using a harness bar and a clamp on mount which is SCCA Pro Racing legal.

Can you take a picture of ur mount...I'm curious to see how you set urs up. The problem is you can't have an instructor sit with you to help you out when you want to.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Zeroryde,

I'm kinda interested in the camera mount and suction cup combination you are using.. I clicked the link but it doesnt take me to the item.. can u give me a more specific description on the product names? Do u have to buy those 2 things seperately or do they come together?

When u mount them for racing, where do u mount the camera? inside passenger side window? inside rear hatch window pointing between the driver's and passenger's seats?

Is my camera too large to mount with a suction cup? It's a Sony Digital Hi-8 camcorder.. its realitively light, about 3 or 4 lbs... its not a DV.. but close to it in size.

Thanks alot

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
Static Dragon said:
Zeroryde,

I'm kinda interested in the camera mount and suction cup combination you are using.. I clicked the link but it doesnt take me to the item.. can u give me a more specific description on the product names? Do u have to buy those 2 things seperately or do they come together?

When u mount them for racing, where do u mount the camera? inside passenger side window? inside rear hatch window pointing between the driver's and passenger's seats?

Is my camera too large to mount with a suction cup? It's a Sony Digital Hi-8 camcorder.. its realitively light, about 3 or 4 lbs... its not a DV.. but close to it in size.

Thanks alot

www.bhphoto.com

It's the avenger F1000 with swivel baby pin - $36.50
made by bogen / manfotto

(search under "pump cup")

and 2933 Camera Platform - for Magic Arm to attach the camera to the pin

(search under "magic arm")

$12.95

if it's the size of a minidv camera, which I have the Canon ZR45, it will fit pending on where you mount it, which I mount to the rear hatch in between the passenger and driver seat.

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts