Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Autox/Track whore?
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Boy what a weekend it's been. Finally got my 4-pt rollbar installed (Thanks to Highrev and JPSlick for helping me out) along with my IOPortRacing camera mount so I was finally able to record in-car video again. Since I have MaxQData as my data logger, I found this cool software called TrackVision that combines my video with data logged by MaxQData to produce a composite video of speed/G-forces/course map so I can see in one screen everything that's going on in my car. Anyway, here's the video:

http://www.steguisfoto.com/videos/NYR-SCCA-9-16-2007-Run5-combined.wmv

Anyway, other than the cool factor, I found that this is much better to learn from than looking at straight graphs. Now I can see exactly how I was driving right along with the "real time" data. Bottom line what I learned from this video, I need to be much smoother with the steering inputs. I need to stop being a pu$$y and stay on the gas in those fast sections where the car could've easily held grip and finally, I need to get closer to those cones.

Going to try to make 2 track events before the year ends so I'll see how the video comes out from that.

*EDIT: Decided to host the video myself since I could post the 640x480 version. Google video just compresses it way too much.

·
Autox/Track whore?
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice run steguis!!

got any info/price on your setup for the all that hardware?
Well let me see:

* Camcorder - Whatever you have. The only thing I added to mine was a wide angle adapter so even though my camera is sitting on my harness bar, I still got a nice field of vision.
* MaxQData GPS receiver/software - $300
* Pocket PC - Needed to log data from the GPS receiver. I had this already but you'd have to buy one used/new if you wanted to use MaxQData.
* Trackvision software - $125.

While I think trackvision will be useful for my autox run analysis, it'll probably even be more useful at the track since you can use it to see how fast you ran each lap and compare your driving lap after lap. The track map that gets overlayed on the screen is pretty nice too since you can follow yourself as you go through the course. Pretty nifty since it's almost like watching a video game albeit 10x more fun :)

You can check out their software on www.trackvision.net. Some pretty good track videos are there.

·
Slow in Fast out
2,884 Posts
very nice man, impressive software.
I'm trying to brake the habit of being too jerky as well. :D
Are you running on the old Azenis?

·
Autox/Track whore?
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very nice man, impressive software.
I'm trying to brake the habit of being too jerky as well. :D
Are you running on the old Azenis?
No, running the new Azenis but they're definitely more than heatcycled now. I don't nearly have as much grip as I had earlier in the season.

·
Registered
19,486 Posts
Well let me see:

* Camcorder - Whatever you have. The only thing I added to mine was a wide angle adapter so even though my camera is sitting on my harness bar, I still got a nice field of vision.
* MaxQData GPS receiver/software - $300
* Pocket PC - Needed to log data from the GPS receiver. I had this already but you'd have to buy one used/new if you wanted to use MaxQData.
* Trackvision software - $125.

While I think trackvision will be useful for my autox run analysis, it'll probably even be more useful at the track since you can use it to see how fast you ran each lap and compare your driving lap after lap. The track map that gets overlayed on the screen is pretty nice too since you can follow yourself as you go through the course. Pretty nifty since it's almost like watching a video game albeit 10x more fun :)

You can check out their software on www.trackvision.net. Some pretty good track videos are there.

nice.. thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Autox/Track whore?
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were breathing like a dog at the end, haha! +rep for a crsx first!
Haha...yeah, I have this really strange habbit of not breathing as I approach the finish. It's subconcious and really strange so I always pant like a dog at the end of my runs. I guess I get to excited about reaching the finish and holding my breath so I don't hit a cone... :rotfl:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool vid. Thats the first time i've seen someone use gps datalogger hardware/software for autocross purposes. Your analysis seems correct. You really are sawing at that steering wheel big time! But maybe its cause I noticed from the video that the vehicle's turn-in isn't quite as crisp as it needs to be. You try a more aggressive alignment setting?

·
Autox/Track whore?
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool vid. Thats the first time i've seen someone use gps datalogger hardware/software for autocross purposes. Your analysis seems correct. You really are sawing at that steering wheel big time! But maybe its cause I noticed from the video that the vehicle's turn-in isn't quite as crisp as it needs to be. You try a more aggressive alignment setting?
My alignment now is fairly agressive already (-2.5 camber front, -1 rear) but as far as turn-in, it's caused by the smaller front sway that I run. I need to turn a bit earlier but results in better power down on corner exit. I looked at my videos from earlier this year and I have started to get too abrupt with my steering (I was nice and smooth earlier). It's been a while since I recorded my runs so I didn't even notice my bad habbits were started to come back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My alignment now is fairly agressive already (-2.5 camber front, -1 rear) but as far as turn-in, it's caused by the smaller front sway that I run. I need to turn a bit earlier but results in better power down on corner exit. I looked at my videos from earlier this year and I have started to get too abrupt with my steering (I was nice and smooth earlier). It's been a while since I recorded my runs so I didn't even notice my bad habbits were started to come back.
I see I see. I'm not sure if the rules allow it, but have you thought about reverse staggered tires?

·
Autox/Track whore?
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see I see. I'm not sure if the rules allow it, but have you thought about reverse staggered tires?
Yep, it's allowed and I have considered it. Getting my car to rotate isn't really that difficult. In fact, I can quicky set up my car to be very tail happy just by adding 2 psi more in the rear. However, neither of those things will affect turn in response. What I should be doing is turning in a bit early and creating smoother arcs rather than just tossing my car back and forth.

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
bumping an old thread. How do you like the MaxQData? I'm looking into getting some sort of data logger for my track day excursions

1 - 20 of 32 Posts