Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on swapping out my tie rods this weekend and I'm looking to order the appropriate tool to do it. When we took a look last time it seemed impossible to get at the spot where the tie rod joins the steering rack with a wrench. Looking at the standard inner tie rod removal tool I'm not sure how it will work with the tie rod in our cars as the boot and collar are wider than the spot where the tie rod is turned so I'm not sure how the sleeve would fit over. There is a simpler tool which clamps around the tie rod but it will scratch the metal and isn't great for applying the proper torque. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks

EDIT: I'm assuming our tie rod is 33.6mm, when I measure it seems to be about that size.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
little bit of penetrating oil, put the nut back on a couple of threads and pound it with a hammer ;)
Thanks for the reply but I'm referring to unscrewing the inner tie rod from the steering rack.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you get at it? We took the air box out but there is no room to get at the tie rod with a wrench.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a vice grip along with a shitload of patience. Remember to turn the nut clockwise

Edit: sorry, I meant to say I used a plumbers wrench.
So that would match up with that cheaper tool I posted that simply bites down on the tie rod.

·
Du ma
2,230 Posts
So that would match up with that cheaper tool I posted that simply bites down on the tie rod.
Yeah, I had one of those wrenches at home already so I gave it a shot. It also helped that it had some weight to it and a big grip. It took me a few tries to get a good grip though. But by all means, that tool you posted looks like it'd be great to use especially since it would be less prone to slipping

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I had one of those wrenches at home already so I gave it a shot. It also helped that it had some weight to it and a big grip. It took me a few tries to get a good grip though. But by all means, that tool you posted looks like it'd be great to use especially since it would be less prone to slipping
Cool, I guess I'll go that route.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just did mine this weekend. Jack and support the car, from underneath just loosen the lock nut. PB Blaster is your best friend here..

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I ordered that cheap little clamp just in case I have issues getting at it from underneath.

·
(vtecDave, from ephatch)
3 Posts
sorry to bring this back from the dead about to attempt it lol
Ha, I've been doing the same over at ephatch. That place is pretty much dead now and I almost forgot about this forum.

I replaced my inner and outer tie rods last year and the thing that helped me the most to get the inner ones off is a set of 1/2" drive Crowfoot Wrenches because there is so little clearance in that area. You will need a 29mm for the Inner nut that connects to the rack and a 1/2in extension to get you over to where you have room to work. My factory airbox is gone b/c of my CAI, so I worked from that area. I was able to muscle through the crushed over washers with the 29mm and an extension, so don't worry about bending them straight first. Just inspect your new replacement tierods to see which direction the threads go for removal, I can't recall now.

The cheapest set I found of large metrics that had the 29mm was Sunex brand from Summit Racing. The 29mm CF wrench was actually too thick to fit on the inner tierod nut so I had to use a grinder to take off about 1/8" from the backside face, then it fit on perfectly. Good luck!

·
(vtecDave, from ephatch)
3 Posts
The 29mm crowfoot wrench is your strongest bet, since the "inner tierod removal tool" you would rent form an auto parts store will not be long enough. (my car is a 2004 Civic Si)

·
Registered
737 Posts
The 29mm crowfoot wrench is your strongest bet, since the "inner tierod removal tool" you would rent form an auto parts store will not be long enough. (my car is a 2004 Civic Si)
this is weird I got this notification linking me to clubep3 lol I wasn't aware they were the same platform but I guess the link is at the top just never realized it lol

anyways, I got it all figured out and installed actually and made a diy for it lol

https://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1262189

I think for the rsx the nut is actually 24mm but I could be mistaken as I ended up just using a crescent wrench. tried purching some crowfoot wrench attachments from harbor freight but they didn't have the bigger sizes in the sets they had available and I didn't want to wait for shipping in case it didn't end up working, I guess I could have checked some auto part stores but didn't know if it was even going to work at the time lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts