Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1050 Posts

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
bluej511 said:
enjos are more
They're really nice pieces and not that bad considering they're brand new mounts. However, when my mounts tore, I came up with a DIY solution that ended up costing me a LOT less and is firmer than just about anything sold commercially. Vibration is definitely there, but wheelhop has vanished. That makes me smile. here's a link if you're interested. click me

My only concern with these mounts is the rear mount. it doesn't look quite as strong as the OEM because of how the round part is welded to the bottom plate. That passenger side mount sure is pretty though.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
i already saw ur diy lol and its something i considered doing but i have less vibration then u do probably and also the rear mount is a lot more solid and well built then the oem mount these are a lifetime warranty so if it goes il get it replaced no problem, ive heard of enjos breaking so i stayed away

·
DNA all over bish!
10,639 Posts
i think if you take into account the whole set as a functional unit then i think they would all work great together.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
seth is one of the guys that sat in my car and he couldnt feel a dam thing, i plan on getting the front mount towards the end of this month

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
bluej511 said:
i already saw ur diy lol and its something i considered doing but i have less vibration then u do probably and also the rear mount is a lot more solid and well built then the oem mount these are a lifetime warranty so if it goes il get it replaced no problem, ive heard of enjos breaking so i stayed away
I dunno man. Looking at this picture:

your rear mount pics

There is no way that the rear mount is as strong as the stock piece. Lifetime warranties on products that chronically break are of no use to me. The HAsport and Mugen rear mounts are without question more solid than the innovative piece. Vibrations tend to cause a lot of stress on welds because the weld itself is of a different compliance than the material being welded. Thus stresses build up on the boundary until one day they break. The stock cast Aluminum piece doesn't have that issue because there are no welds. That's just my 2 cents.

I'm sure you have less vibration. I could have made my mounts softer if I wanted, however I wanted to do this once, and only once. Since drag launches on slicks are in my future, going as firm as possible seemed like the way to go.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
well those threaded holes for the rear mount are all one piece but u cant really tell in the pic, there very solidly made i believe there stronger then oem

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
and the reason the hasport is stronger and is built one piece is because it has the most vibration the bushing rating is 88a while innovative street is 60a

·
7,611 Posts
chunky said:
$256 for a set of 4 new OEM mounts.

82.14 - front
45.33 - rear
58.29 - trans
86.69 - passenger side
Damn. Pwned. I must have mistakenly counted something else in my total.

Nonetheless, the difference between OEM and aftermarket (Innovative, Mugen, etc.) is not that big. Of course the aftermarket sets don't include the front. LOL.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
bluej511 said:
well those threaded holes for the rear mount are all one piece but u cant really tell in the pic, there very solidly made i believe there stronger then oem
My concern wouldn't really be regarding the threads for the base plate of the mount. I was talking about the weld that holds the round part to the flat part. All of the forces travel through that weld.

60a is pretty soft. My mounts are 85A, 70D or some combination of the two. :p After doing my mounts, I got quite a bit more clearance for my header b/c the motor sits higher and more forward than before I rebuilt my mounts. That extra header clearance has fixed up a lot of issues for me. more ground clearance for my 3" exhaust, no more header rattling against the sway bar and setting off my knock sensor, etc.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
paulkramer said:
Damn. Pwned. I must have mistakenly counted something else in my total.

Nonetheless, the difference between OEM and aftermarket (Innovative, Mugen, etc.) is not that big. Of course the aftermarket sets don't include the front. LOL.
Heh, you might have just been looking on a different site, or caught MSRP prices. I looked on www.barancoacuraparts.com, and those are their internet sale prices, MSRP is significantly higher.

Well, the OEM front & rear are cast aluminum. So they're pretty light & strong. The hasport is billet aluminum, so it should be even stronger than stock, although slightly heavier. Not sure about the actual construction of the mugen, but it is a 1pc mount with no welds. The innovative is the only one i've seen with a weld. The welding isn't that big of a deal, but the placement of the weld makes me wonder about it's long term strength.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
the mugen is an oem mount with mugen bushings, its only welded in one spot and i do believe that part that is welded is still a part of the mount, i launched a couple times off the limiter and have had no problems yet but if that weld goes i got a welder and will give it a weld all the way around.

The thread piece is part of the mount so that if i took that weld off that piece would still be in there. My motor also sits higher as well i just have no front mount yet

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
bluej511 said:
the mugen is an oem mount with mugen bushings, its only welded in one spot and i do believe that part that is welded is still a part of the mount, i launched a couple times off the limiter and have had no problems yet but if that weld goes i got a welder and will give it a weld all the way around.

The thread piece is part of the mount so that if i took that weld off that piece would still be in there. My motor also sits higher as well i just have no front mount yet
Doesn't surprise me that mugen just re-used the OEM housing. It is a very nice piece and has no welds. It is a single cast piece. Because it's aluminum, it has steel sleeves cast in for the bolt holes.

Well, if you've got a welder, the thing to do would be to put a band around it. You want to put the connection points for the round part as close to the bolt holes as possible.

look at the profile of the OEM mount.

http://www.razid.com/images/mounts/2.jpg

It's not by accident that the top part of the mount meets the base plate at the edges where the bolt holes are. That gives it added strength in terms of fore & aft movement. Under compression, the innovative mount should be fine, but if the motor is moving fore and aft (which it does, it moves in an arc) then that center weld is not the optimal design.

If they hadn't forked the part between the two bolt holes on the back side of the mount, I would have said to do something like this.

Why innovative didn't do that in the first place is beyond me. It braces the bushing against fore & aft movement of the motor. Basically two tension arms. The rear one pulls back when the mount rolls forward, the front one pulls forward when the mount rolls back. Ideal would be to have a band around the top that is welded to the mount at the top, and then to the base plate.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
seth812 said:
i'm pretty sure the oem motor mount is injected plastic, i'm holding one in my hand right now
the front is cast AL for sure. From what I could tell, so is the rear, it's just painted black, probably a heat coating to help with the heat coming off the exhaust.

Sides are steel.

·
Complete Part Out
16,861 Posts
chunky said:
the front is cast AL for sure. From what I could tell, so is the rear, it's just painted black, probably a heat coating to help with the heat coming off the exhaust.

Sides are steel.
the rear is plastic for sure, looks like ABS to me

81 - 100 of 1050 Posts