Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1050 Posts

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
seth812 said:
it doesn't weigh nearly enough to be aluminum
I remember thinking the same thing, till I observed where I had inadvertantly scratched the black coating off.

Cast aluminum can be quite light.

·
Complete Part Out
16,861 Posts
chunky said:
I remember thinking the same thing, till I observed where I had inadvertantly scratched the black coating off.

Cast aluminum can be quite light.
maybe it has an aluminum core? all i know is, it is plastic on the outside. you must have scratched pretty deep.

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
seth812 said:
maybe it has an aluminum core? all i know is, it is plastic on the outside. you must have scratched pretty deep.
yeah, it was more than just surface abrasion. Probably from having to pry the mount in and out of that engine/trans bracket with the damn ES inserts on the mount.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
well ive got both downstairs so ill check em out later i just got home from doing my alignment

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
MikeD said:
Did you haft to drop ur subframe to put the rear mount in?
nope. rear mount is always the easiest for me.

Header clerance might be an issue, but you can typically work around it.

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
yea work around it is what i did and dropping the subframe is probably a whole lot easier anyways

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
chunky said:
nope. rear mount is always the easiest for me.

Header clerance might be an issue, but you can typically work around it.

even with a RH? Would u suggest doint the rear mount first?

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
MikeD said:
even with a RH? Would u suggest doint the rear mount first?
I'm not sure what i'd suggest. I know that the last time I did this, I let the engine hang by the two side mounts while I gooped up my stock front & rear. I have a lot more experience working on k-series platforms than most though seeing as i've pulled & reinstalled engines into ep3's and dc5's about 10 times within the last year.

I would say go one at a time. It doesn't really matter front v.s. rear though.

·
Boostifed
4,828 Posts
why does everyone say that?? its easy to put it back on, even when the car was just on jack stands lol

·
7,611 Posts
chunky said:
I know that the last time I did this, I let the engine hang by the two side mounts while I gooped up my stock front & rear.
Are you saying that you didn't additionally support the engine/subframe?!

I'm asking because I really don't want to rely on the oil pan for support when I get into replacing mounts...

·
frank and beans!
1,916 Posts
paulkramer said:
Are you saying that you didn't additionally support the engine/subframe?!

I'm asking because I really don't want to rely on the oil pan for support when I get into replacing mounts...
yep. There is actually a pad on the subframe that the oil pan rests on if it even drops that low. As i recall, the engine was supported fully by the side mounts. And that was with my busted passenger mount!

Either way, the oil pan is fine for supporting the motor. just use a block of wood.

·
7,611 Posts
Cool. I imagine if I remove only one mount at a time, the engine won't drop much at all. Probably have to use a prybar to get it back to together, but that's not a biggie.

101 - 120 of 1050 Posts