Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Alcohol - My Anti-Drug!
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search, and didnt come up with anything. I just finished installing my brand new OEM fog lights on my 06 RSX type-S per the DIY here and the instructions that Acura sent me. The ONLY thing that was different about the install is that I wired it to where you can have the fog lights on when the parking lights are on.

Have power all throughout my car, all connectors are hooked up, checked and there are no fuses blown. I go to crank my car and it wont turn over, just keeps trying to crank. I looked at the indicator on my battery and it shows that its good and doesnt need to be recharged.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try to look for? I tested out my lights for a couple minutes so that should not have drained it...

·
Alcohol - My Anti-Drug!
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you totalled it
Great advise...thanks, please dont post again until you have something productive to add.

i thought theres no way you can wire it up like that on OEMs
Quick mod that you can do, basically change one wire and youre good to go.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=4297&highlight=fog+light+high+beam
For those who have or are installing the OEM fog lights here is what you need to do to get the fogs to work with just parking lights on and to not shut off when you have the high beams on.....This is also a good way to avoid having to take the console out to do the install if you don't already have them in. You will have to get under the dash and drop down the fuse box (remove 10mm screw at lower right and pull down whole block will come down). Locate the fog light wire harness going across the under side of the dash towards the driver side door and up to a relay. The wires will be in black flex loom with a white label taped to it and will go over to the fuse box where it has two plugs that terminate into the fuse block. One is a single connector with a thick white/red stripe wire the other is a 6 pin connector. Follow the wires away from the fuse block and up to where they come togethere. There will be a single small red/white stripe wire in black loom going up into the steering column this is the wire that turns the fogs off when the high beams are on. To bypass that simply cut that wire and cap off the end that goes up to the steering column to avoid a short. The other end that goes back to the fog light harness needs to be grounded. At this point you should be able to turn on the high beams and the fogs will stay on.
OK next part if you want the fogs to come on with just the parking lights you need to do the following. In the same area where you found the red/white stripe wire (fog harness near fuse box) you will find another set of wires coming off of the fog lights harness cluster and going down towards the console(for new installs this is where you can avoid having to remove the console) In this part of the harness there will be two red/yellow striped wires. Cut these two wires and cap off the ends that go towards the console. Now for the other end, these two wires go back to the relay and are connected togethere there so you only need to do the following to one of the two wires. In the fuse block you will need to find the harness that has a red/yellow stripe wire in it. It will be on the right side of the block about mid way up the block. You will need to splice one of the red/yellow stripe wires you just cut into the red/yellow stripe wire at the fuse block. Make sure you use a good connector, tape will not work because it gets hot under the dash and might come loose over time. Once one of the wires is connected securely, cap off the other red/yellow strip fog light wire that you did not use so you don't get a short. Now you should be able to turn on your fog lights switch with just the parking lights on and it should lights. It should also stay on with the high beams if you did the first part as well. Let me know if you have any questions. Visit the Tech section on this site for the OEM fog light install instructions. They have diagrams that may help you locate some of the things discribed in this post. The information provided here is as is and may not be accurate for cars made in other countries. Neither I nor Club RSX are responsible for any damage this procedure may cause to you or your car. Sorry, I work at a law firm. Don't worry though if you follow the directions correctly you'll be fine.

Thanks.
D.
Anyone have any suggestions on something to check?

·
Hi there
696 Posts
I did a quick search, and didnt come up with anything. I just finished installing my brand new OEM fog lights on my 06 RSX type-S per the DIY here and the instructions that Acura sent me. The ONLY thing that was different about the install is that I wired it to where you can have the fog lights on when the parking lights are on.

Have power all throughout my car, all connectors are hooked up, checked and there are no fuses blown. I go to crank my car and it wont turn over, just keeps trying to crank. I looked at the indicator on my battery and it shows that its good and doesnt need to be recharged.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could try to look for? I tested out my lights for a couple minutes so that should not have drained it...
I dont get what you just said. You go to crank it and it wont turn over it just tries to crank? Lost me there.

That indicator on the battery doesnt mean a thing about the charge. all that indicator eye is a float that floats on the water inside the battery and when the water gets low it figures there is no charge in the battery so the color changes. You can have a car with a blue eye and be absolutely dead. Since you were messing around with the lights i figure that you left the lights on just a tad too long. Get jump started or get your battery charged at a local shop.

·
Alcohol - My Anti-Drug!
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont get what you just said. You go to crank it and it wont turn over it just tries to crank? Lost me there.

That indicator on the battery doesnt mean a thing about the charge. all that indicator eye is a float that floats on the water inside the battery and when the water gets low it figures there is no charge in the battery so the color changes. You can have a car with a blue eye and be absolutely dead. Since you were messing around with the lights i figure that you left the lights on just a tad too long. Get jump started or get your battery charged at a local shop.
What was meant by that is that the starter just keeps turning, but the engine doesnt fully crank over. Usually whenever you have a battery that is dead or low on power, your interior lights will dim a lot when turning the key trying to start...that isnt really the case here. They dim slightly

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
What we want to know (and i don't mean to sound repetitive ) is the engine turning over ,,, or is the starter just clicking ,,,sounding like it wants to turn over?

·
Alcohol - My Anti-Drug!
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, jumped...nothing worked. yes i disconnected my negative terminal during the entire install. It turns (starter spinning, engine doesnt crank all the way over) but wont actually start. All fuses are checked and are good.

Looked in the owners manual and it indicates that whenever you turn your key to the ON (II) position, that the immobilizer indicator should turn on for a few seconds then go away, if it continues to blink...the car will NOT start due to the car not recognizing the key. Any clues how to reset that??

·
Shiny side up!
930 Posts
Only thing i can think of,, due to the read on your install is the tap into the park lights .....perhaps it has messed with your immobiliser system ,,, flashing park lights when you lock & unlock your doors

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
i think you grounded your fog lights wrong then....that's the only reason I would say was wrong with your install. I don't think you should give up...that's the beauty of modding. you do it, make mistakes because inexperience, and you learn, go back and fix it. :dontknow: it's the whole modding experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts