Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my JDM HID Headlights on my car.
It was a major PITA to adjust though. The beam pattern was very fuxored. It took me about an hour to get the headlights aligned decently. I wanted to take the car out for a spin, but it's in for the winter.... so no real reports as to how the HIDs work in real world driving. But I'm sure that there is a major improvement over stock in performance. I will get a few pics up if anyone would be interested.

·
K Builder
588 Posts
change the reflector to USDM ones for EVEN BETTER Performance..

I have jdm hid's also... do the inner lenze change .. well worth it.

I got a spare set of usdm headlights, take them appart, take the reflectors and change them.. if not you'll be blinding the oposite lane and cops will pull you over..

the beam is not designed for left hand drive vehicles...

i'll get some pics of mine when i get he car back from the shop.

·
Registered
766 Posts
hotwheelz said:
change the reflector to USDM ones for EVEN BETTER Performance..
Doesn't the USDM reflector designed for halogen application only? Do you have pics of the beam pattern with the swapped reflectors?

·
K Builder
588 Posts
the relectors are what guide the lights into the beam pattern.. a bulb is a bulb, it's the housing the shapes the light and concentrates it in a certain area...

make a search you''ll see some threads about it :)

with results pics.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eyezonly said:
Doesn't the USDM reflector designed for halogen application only? Do you have pics of the beam pattern with the swapped reflectors?
D2R bulbs are designed for use in Halogen Type reflectors...
However the Lenses are optimized for HID use with the JDM headlights.
I adjusted the beam pattern and it is much better now. I will go take a few pics and post them in a bit.
The reason I got the JDM HID headlights was so that I don't have to do all that opening ish. I already painted my OEM headlights, and instead of getting an HID kit got the OEM headlights for a reason.

·
Registered
766 Posts
hotwheelz said:
the relectors are what guide the lights into the beam pattern.. a bulb is a bulb, it's the housing the shapes the light and concentrates it in a certain area...

make a search you''ll see some threads about it :)

with results pics.
would you kindly provide some links to the thread you're talking about? I did a search on JDM HID with swapped reflectors and couldn't find the ones I needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
766 Posts
hotwheelz said:
I hope you notice MOTO has JDM (non-hid) headlights which uses regular halogen bulbs. He swapped the reflector from a USDM headlight which also uses regular halogen bulbs. So the end result would be a USDM beam pattern with JDM housing.

In the JDM HID headlights you can't swapped it out with a USDM reflector and expect a clean beam pattern like the OEMs because the reflector it isn't made for HID application. The JDM HID relfector might look similar to USDM ones but they are designed to use with D2R HID bulbs.

·
K Builder
588 Posts
jdm lights... look at the left light.. now it's angle and lighting higher than the horizon and pointing to the left.. this will blind the incomming traffic..

now look at this pic.

see with the USDM backings the lights look more straight and now angled... this can't be corrected without changing the backing cups..

·
Registered
766 Posts
hotwheelz, you do realize they are 2 types of JDM headlights right? Regular Halogen and the optional HID version. The one in the pictures are regular halogen headlights not HIDs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The cutoff on MugenHonda is almost straight. I've seen ones were the cutoff to the left is way too obvious.

MugenHonda, where did you get yours from and how much?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hotwheelz, look at how I have mine adjusted. I won't be blinding anyone. The right is a litle higher than the left. OEM is much better than your ghetto-rigging, swapping BS.:thumbsup:
Anyone that has the real thing will tell you.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
darryl_mussashi said:
The cutoff on MugenHonda is almost straight. I've seen ones were the cutoff to the left is way too obvious.

MugenHonda, where did you get yours from and how much?
It took me over an hour to adjust, it was BRUTAL when I first put them in. The left corner was VERY VERY high.

JUST TO CLARIFY, THESE ARE THE OEM HID Headlights. Not the Halogen JDM headlights. The beam pattern is optimized for D2R, HID use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, I know, they are very $$$. I'm just curious how much you got them from and where?

MugenHonda said:
It took me over an hour to adjust, it was BRUTAL when I first put them in. The left corner was VERY VERY high.

JUST TO CLARIFY, THESE ARE THE OEM HID Headlights. Not the Halogen JDM headlights. The beam pattern is optimized for D2R, HID use.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
darryl_mussashi said:
MugenHonda, one more thing did you adjust the L/R? or just up and down?
I adjusted both. I had to, or else the beam pattern would still be too far off to the left, and UP. BTW, I got these on eBay for too much $$$.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts