Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
..Crawling..
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I installed my Comptech Race Header, Header adapter, and O2 sim. I was worried that the base adapter would not work because I havent heard anything from anyone actually doing this with a base exhaust. But everything turned out awesome. header fits perfect, CEL didnt come on, it ISNT super loud, and most importantly, its super fast.

If your wondering i've got the Tanabe Hyper Medallian Catback for the base. Its still quiet even with the race header. So if anyone wants to get a race header but is worried about it being too loud, get the hyper medallian exhaust.

Base owners can now have a race header without getting a type s exhaust. :) :)

If u guys have any questions feel free to ask.

·
I Heart Kelly Clarkson
232 Posts
I have a question about the adapter that you bought. Does it come with all the necessary bolts and/or gaskets for installation? Or did you have to go out somewhere to buy the materials needed to bolt on the adapter?

·
EVO X
1,512 Posts
beatred said:
Today I installed my Comptech Race Header, Header adapter, and O2 sim. I was worried that the base adapter would not work because I havent heard anything from anyone actually doing this with a base exhaust. But everything turned out awesome. header fits perfect, CEL didnt come on, it ISNT super loud, and most importantly, its super fast.

If your wondering i've got the Tanabe Hyper Medallian Catback for the base. Its still quiet even with the race header. So if anyone wants to get a race header but is worried about it being too loud, get the hyper medallian exhaust.

im thinking about getting the spoon sports exhaust manifold...my hks exhaust is on the way(base model).....now i emailed some companies and they told me that if i want the spoon exhaust manifold..i would have to get the type s cat, or my other option is to modify my cat...so is that wat you did? and one more question..the comptech race header...where did you buy it and how much??

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Nice time to dyno ur car w/ the race header I wanna see some WHP improvement.

·
EVO X
1,512 Posts
yes it does...now did you buy it through comptechusa.com cause i cant find the race header and the adapter you are talking about? so now when you go for smog check, you wont pass, right???

·
nothing better than stock
1,558 Posts
beatred said:

did you install motor mounts?

do you know if that comptech adapater would with another race header such as JR?

i wanna go your path too but i live in cali so i need a two piece race header so i can take off the test pipe part and fit it with a cat and then throw in the adapater to fit all up.

thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
i finally got mine on last night too... beatred, my CEL is still on though! and i plugged in the o2 sim what did u do when u installed it? i must of done something wrong, i just plugged it in and started... but ya this is sweet that the comptech race header fits our cars... the car just flys now, didn't get much louder but it did and i love it.. just gotta adjust the hangers now cuz i'm gettin a mad rattle... i also gotta go to a shop to put in 1 more bolt in my front mounts i couldn't get it in..

did u install yourself or a shop???

D

ps can't wait till the track opens mmmmm =)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
monkymojo said:
did you install motor mounts?

do you know if that comptech adapater would with another race header such as JR?

i wanna go your path too but i live in cali so i need a two piece race header so i can take off the test pipe part and fit it with a cat and then throw in the adapater to fit all up.

thanks for all your help :thumbsup:
:iamwiths: It would be nice if the adapter will make the JR fit on the base. Hey beatred, is your car a 5spd? :thumbsup: on the mod.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
A race header eliminates the cat.

·
..Crawling..
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
eling99: I got it from a group buy. paid 1300 cdn. No i dont think it will work with other headers. when u buy a comptech race header u either have to get the adapter for the type s or the adapter for the base. I live in alberta so we dont have any test things to worry about.

Monky: No i havent installed my motor mounts. thats my next project. No i dont think the adapter will work with other headers. its just made to fit onto the comptech race header.

D Fab: congrats on your install. yeah i went to a shop to do mine. Its a lot easier when they can jack your call all the way up. They charged me $50 so i cant complain. About the O2 sim. We had a bit of trouble too with the install. U have to connect it to the bottom sensor of your header. Then connect that to the computer. And with the other sensor ( the top one) u just plug that in normally because that doesnt sense the part where the cat affects.

Konfucius: Well the JR race header does fit a base, just not the base exhaust. And ya its a 5 spd.

Also, I went to my buddys place whos got a Type S and just installed his comptech race header. Hes got a stock type s exhaust with teh race header and his car is louder that mine with a hyper medallian catback. so i'm pretty happy about that. anymore questions feel free to ask.

Oh and i should be posting up pics here pretty soon. just have to upload them.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I am running the jackson race header with test pipe. I replaced the magnaflow catback with the stock type s exhaust and my CEL went away for some reason. Haven't had a CEL for 2 whole full gas tank (~600 miles). My car is quiet as stock. Don't like the loud exhaust noise at normal driving, but it does sound nice at WOT. Car feels alot faster through the rev range. No rattle what so ever at idle or any rev all the way up to redline.

AEM CAI, JRRH, stock type s exhaust, groundwire

Should have dyno by the end of the week!!!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I had the magnaflow catback but found out it was more restrictive than a stock type s. I traded my magnaflow catback with a club member for his stock type s exhaust plus $200. I don't have the cash to just buy another catback. The stock type s exhaust is more than enough for a naturally base. Most type s rsx with after market exhaust ALONE doesn't gain so much hp because the stock type s exhaust flows very well as it is (a type s with race header and bigger exhaust is another story). Aftermarket exhaust for the base is mostly for sound and after having an exhaust for a year i'm sick of it. I want some piece and queit under normal acceleration plus decent performance and the stock type s exhaust gives me that. Hopefully I'll have good news and dyno numbers for the base owners by the end of the week. Courtesy of a company that does wonders for the k series :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
quick question beatred..I have an hks exhaust for the base....If I got the comptech race header..would it bolt up right? Also..which comptech adapter would I need? the one for the type-s or basE? also do you have your cat on or no? One more..whats up with this smog thing? I live in illinois..how often do we have to go through with this because I dont want to end up installing the header and have to take them off again. thanks.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I believe you would need the Comptech adapter for the base. The Comptech race header will get rid of the cat, so no you will not have a cat and that means no passing on emissions. I don't know about smog testing in Illinois, so I can't help you there.

·
..Crawling..
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Raging- Yes, a comptech race header and a base adapter would fit perfect with your HKS exhaust. Heres a pic of the Race header. As u can see the end has only like 2 bolts which dont really line up with anything so thats y u need an adapter. Theres 1 adapter for the type s exhausts and 1 for the base exhausts. and about the cat. the race header replaces the cat so its unrestricted piping right from the motor. I live in alberta canada and we dont have those smog test things so i cant really help u with that man.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts