Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this replica wing on ebay (yeah, yeah, you get what you pay for), blah blah blah. Anyways I've painted it and now it's ready for installation. Problem is: it uses holes in the spoiler and screws to secure it as opposed to the OEM studs in the spoiler and nuts to secure it. For this reason, lining it up correctly is a little difficult. Also, it seems as though the holes on the spoiler might not line up with the factory hole template under the hatch, they seem a little closer togetherJust wondering if anyone has installed a replica spoiler and if they've had similar issues to mine and how they remedied them. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should've test fitted before going all out.
Yeah, I should have been more cautious. My hatch currently has no spoiler installed so I assumed I would just be able to drill the holes right in. Guess I'm gonna have to start stretching...

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
#0 Put blue painters tape or masking tape around the top and bottom area you are going to drill.
#1 Put the screws into the wing.
#2 Put some toothpaste on the heads of the screws.
#3 Get the wing aimed and lined up so it looks good and straight then put it down on the trunk to make toothpaste contact.
#4 There is your template to drill.
#5 Use a pointy object and hammer to tap a SMALL dent into the trunk through the middle ish of the toothpaste.
#6 Wipe the area clean and drill your holes. Modify the hole as needed to make install line up.
#7 Remove the tape and use washers on the bolts to help cover any oversized holes you might have and bolt the wing up.
#8 Have a beer and admire your car's new look :thumbsup:

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
If you have touch up paint, it is a good idea to apply some around the holes to cover up any exposed metal and help prevent rusting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts