Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scenario-

I left my car in a parking lot for about one week while I was off on a trip. I come back and try to start my car. Everything works fine, however none of the gauges in my instrument cluster are working. The only thing that works is the brake light which stays on permanently whether or not the parking brake is up or down and the turn signals. A few of the other notification lights turn on when the key is in accessory mode, but once the engine is started the only thing that is lit is the brake light.
It's also important to note that during the week that I was away it rained heavily, but I did not see any noticeable water damage to the ECU.
However what I found was that if I removed all power to the computer i.e. disconnected the battery for a 5-10 minutes and then reconnected it, the instrument cluster would work perfectly. However, once I turn the vehicle off and then try to turn it back on again, the gauges would go back to not working once again.
I saw that it could potentially be an ECU problem so I ordered a used ECU. I plugged it in and it seemed like the dash worked perfectly, however since it was not programmed to the car, the vehicle wouldn't turn over and start. I took car to the dealership and had them install the used computer and reprogrammed it which they did with no problem. However, even with the new computer the same instrument cluster problem is still there.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and do you have any advice on what I should do? I was quoted on a brand new instrument cluster at the dealership which would be pricey, but how do I know it's the cluster considering that it works perfectly after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

I'm open to anyone's thoughts. Thank you.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I would start by inspecting both the under-dash and under-hood fuse/relay boxes and their wire harnesses for damage/moisture/rust/etc. Also... as always... do you have any mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start by inspecting both the under-dash and under-hood fuse/relay boxes and their wire harnesses for damage/moisture/rust/etc. Also... as always... do you have any mods?

Thanks for the recommendation. I've yet to disassemble that portion of the vehicle. Do you know of any guides or videos I can reference so I don't mess up anything further?

As for mods are concerned- the vehicle is stock aside from a front strut bar and a cat back exhaust.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Well the fuse/relay boxes are both fairly up front. Under the dash... I'd look for any wires that are torn, loose, or pinched. I think it would be obvious to the eye.

Under the hood; it's just a box with two wire harnesses: one supply, one return.

Both are located in places where they, technically, shouldn't get wet or too hot. But who knows?

My recommendations are very basic. You should be looking for something obvious that looks odd and like it doesn't belong (jumpers, broken fuses, rust, insect nests, etc).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership suggested I buy a new instrument panel with gauges which is apparently around $800. In addition to that, it seems they no longer have any in stock anywhere...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts