Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New '04 RSX-S owner with a question that may or may not have been covered (I performed some searches, but most seem to be on changing the gauge cluster led color). I have an '06 TL and the gauge cluster is very bright. Not so with the red gauges in my RSX. As the sun went down on my drive home after purchasing it, I turned on the lights, it had to be very dark outside before I could see the dash/gauge cluster lighting.

I've read through a number of posts that cover common issues of the gauge cluster being dim (the dimming control knob not turned up), but with the brightness all the way up, it is still *uniformly low.* I don't have any spots where the leds are burn out. They just don't seem even moderately bright like you would think an OEM cluster would be.

A fuse issue would be "all or nothing" in terms of dash lights, but perhaps I need to just replace the fuse to be sure? Any other electrical troubleshooting recommended?

Thanks,
James

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
The fuse is either good or not. You may have some luck 'exercising' the dimmer knob back and forth; as the electronic contacts can get corroded and dusty. I believe the lights are regular incandescent bulbs; not LEDs (not sure). However... I believe there is a daylight sensor on top of the dash in the middle that may effect the brightness. I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuse is either good or not. You may have some luck 'exercising' the dimmer knob back and forth; as the electronic contacts can get corroded and dusty. I believe the lights are regular incandescent bulbs; not LEDs (not sure). However... I believe there is a daylight sensor on top of the dash in the middle that may effect the brightness. I hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the input shoegazer. I think the top-of-dash sensor you are referring to is actually for auto climate control (from an initial search). As for turning the dimmer back and forth, I did that on the trip home several times, but no improvement. From max brightness (if you'd even call it that) the whole dash would go dark in about 1/3 turn, with plenty more room on the knob to go.

I know it's a subjective question to ask, but I don't have a frame of reference for the RSX... when it's dusk, do the gauge/climate lights stand out? Maybe I'm expecting too much :dontknow:

James

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
My cluster is plenty bright enough with room to spare. Do you, by any chance, have an aftermarket radio? Some have dimmer/illumination wires that connect and emulate the dash's brightness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My cluster is plenty bright enough with room to spare. Do you, by any chance, have an aftermarket radio? Some have dimmer/illumination wires that connect and emulate the dash's brightness.
No, it's just the Bose unit that comes with the type s. Man, this stinks. Whatever could be the issue? I don't know much about electrical and was hoping for a straightforward fix.

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe you can find a local member and compare brightness.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
How about aftermarket fogs of brake light mods? The dash lights are on the same circuit as the marker lights. And a lot of folks tap that source for fogs. It technically shouldn't be dimming the dash. But I'm just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ All good points. The fogs look OEM to me, but could be the SpecD version (they are clear). No difference in panel brightness if I have the fog switch on or off. Assuming the fogs are OEM, the entire car is stock (including tails/bulbs). As for red RSX vs. blue TL, I agree, but we also have an 06 Pilot, which has good illumination also.

I'm in Ocala FL, which is half way between Gainesville and Orlando. It would be good to meet up and compare brightness.

So the gauge illumination is handled by individual LEDs and no easy-to-replace bulbs? Wishful thinking I guess, lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What model year?

I have a 2002 Type S and my experience is similar to OP. I haven't been motivated to pull the cluster and root around, though. I figure, worst case the pot driven by the adjustment knob could be replaced, but I haven't seen anyone else digging into this particular problem either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Mine have always been 'dim' and hard to see in brighter ambient light conditions. FWIW, from all the way turned down. it takes about 1/4 turn until any lighting is noticeable.

Because it's basically only backlighting for the gauges, the only hard to read element is the odometer. No big deal for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts