Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Drop Top Mafia
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, does anyone know if I change my seats if my insurance will deny any type of claims or anything because I took out the stock seats with the Side airbags?

·
Registered
587 Posts
probably depends on the company.
There was a guy here who had his insurance claim rejected for having 'aftermarket seat belt and performance tires'
Really depends on your insurance company

·
FDA Approved
668 Posts
Don't forget another driver or passenger can sue you too if they get injured without a side air bag.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Don't forget another driver or passenger can sue you too if they get injured without a side air bag.
which is why you should drive an IS250 AWD...the crash test rating is great. it has many airbags. and it has AWD so you will be safe in all types of weather :thumbsup:
am I right IronPhoenX? ;)

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
which is why you should drive an IS250 AWD...the crash test rating is great. it has many airbags. and it has AWD so you will be safe in all types of weather :thumbsup:
:rotfl: +rep

·
Registered
24,665 Posts
well let's see.....if you crash and yer face gets planted into the door window and yer medical bill comes out to be $XYZ, then as an insurance company, I would see no reason to cover your medical bill since you removed the factory safety that prevents that from happening.

likewise, if you removed your seat belts from the car and u crash.....why would the insurance company pay your medical bill?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
YES! Everyone knows the safety features of the AWD IS250 if they've even thought about looking at a thread in GD.

:rotfl:

·
FDA Approved
668 Posts
well let's see.....if you crash and yer face gets planted into the door window and yer medical bill comes out to be $XYZ, then as an insurance company, I would see no reason to cover your medical bill since you removed the factory safety that prevents that from happening.

likewise, if you removed your seat belts from the car and u crash.....why would the insurance company pay your medical bill?
Also, even if it's someone else's fault, then their insurance might refuse to pay for your bills too. Or at least try to reduce the amount of reimbursement.

What's the law anyways about removing airbags? I know in some cars you can turn off the passenger airbags.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I would assume if your plan is to fashion up a bracket yourself to clip the belt to and they can prove it failed in the accident and caused injury or the lack of airbag caused injury, you will have trouble. Why don't you just call them up and ask them straight out? It's better than taking the hit (no pun intended) in the case of an accident...

·
Big Pimpin
15,710 Posts
just to put in my two cents, if the car came with airbags it is ILLEGAL to remove them, period. Chances are if you got injured, or someone in your car got injured, in a way that would have been prevented by the airbag, then yes they will deny your claim.

*edit*
Also, why not just call your insurance company about it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
[snip]

*edit*
Also, why not just call your insurance company about it?
That is what i would do.

But in reality, I'm insurance co's pay millions for people who aren't buckled up to begin with, so what would be the difference? If you crash and aren't wearing your seat belt, it doesn't automatically cancel your policy?

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
That is what i would do.

But in reality, I'm insurance co's pay millions for people who aren't buckled up to begin with, so what would be the difference? If you crash and aren't wearing your seat belt, it doesn't automatically cancel your policy?
:iamwiths:

The seatbelt is far more important in a crash then the airbags. But as we know with any type of insurance whether its car or health, they'll find any excuse they can to deny a claim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts