Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
<geek> ian </geek>
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

During instake installation, I broke off the male piece of the Intake Air Bypass control thermal valve (small hose from the intake)

Is this hose critical for use of the car to get to a dealership? I figure it's just sucking air so if it's from the CAI or from the inside of the car, no biggie right?

(for now anyway).

Thanks,
Ian

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
I broke mine off as well

Just tape it up, and connect the hose to the intake and put a screw in the other side of the hose and let the hose sit behind the battery

the Intake Air valve thingy, all it does is suck in extra air to the manifold while the engine is cold, as in non operating temperature

once the engine warms up, the spring coils and closes that valve, rendering it useless

so just tape it up and enjoy your intake :)

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
Hey all,

During instake installation, I broke off the male piece of the Intake Air Bypass control thermal valve (small hose from the intake)

Is this hose critical for use of the car to get to a dealership? I figure it's just sucking air so if it's from the CAI or from the inside of the car, no biggie right?

(for now anyway).

Thanks,
Ian
You want the hose connected properly if you don't plug it up, sucking air from just under the hood will be unfiltered, not good.

·
<geek> ian </geek>
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used epoxy and put the piece back on since it was broken in a way that i could do that.

The only other pain in the butt thing was that with the injen washer bottle replacement things didn't line up too well so had to tap new hole in the frame and made the bottle leak. gotta seal that up again now.

PAIN!

·
Registered
497 Posts
You want the hose connected properly if you don't plug it up, sucking air from just under the hood will be unfiltered, not good.
I'm with you on that. Does anyone know what the part number is for this? I've been searching with no luck. Can't even find a schematic at acurapartspeople.com

·
Registered
13,797 Posts
I'm with you on that. Does anyone know what the part number is for this? I've been searching with no luck. Can't even find a schematic at acurapartspeople.com
The valve doesn't come seperately. You'll have to buy the entire Water Outlet Assembly to get that stupid valve. Part #19350-PRB-A00. It's about $75.

·
Back to stock :(
3,045 Posts
The valve doesn't come seperately. You'll have to buy the entire Water Outlet Assembly to get that stupid valve. Part #19350-PRB-A00. It's about $75.
yap dats right

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks dude! :thumbsup: +rep for you.....like you need it... lol

·
Anything fast and brutal
662 Posts
This valve comes up almost weekly, so I thought I would post up the info.

Air Assist Valve: This valve allows for a faster warm-up in cold weather.
When the coolant temp is at 147 degrees or BELOW the valve is opened.
The air enters the AAV from the intake tract and routes the unmetered air thru a nipple on the IM, which feeds a cavity in the head behind the IM gasket, and then back thru the IMG and into ports in the fuel injector bosses in the IM. This allows for a leaner mixture, thusly a quicker warm-up.

Here is a picture of a coolant outlet assembly.

The AAV is available in two ways. You can buy the whole coolant outlet assembly for a 02'-05'EP3/02'-06'DC5 (here...part# 9 https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hon...s_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=A&hp_component=E++15 )

or you can get just the AAV by ordering one from a 07'Si ( here...part#8 https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hon...slsareacd=KA&hp_system=A&hp_component=E++0301 )This will require you to remove the coolant outlet assembly to remove/install the AAV if the horizontal leg is not broken.

The AAV is NOT required to be functional for your engine to operate correctly. If your AAV is damaged you do NEED to remove/plug the lines that go to it from the IM and intake. Your car may take a bit longer to warm up when it is real cold but that is all.

Another option is to remove the AAV and install a electric coolant temp probe there for a aftermarket gauge.

Doug

Reactions: bacchus418

·
Registered
497 Posts
Great info! :thumbsup: This issue was definitely due for a summary. Somebody link to this in a sticky. A lot of people are breaking the damn thing when we install our aftermarket intakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
man have i needed this article. i'm assuming that ordering just the valve instead of the whole assembly won't be an issue cause it's the exact same piece minus all the other stuff?? does anyone have the part number for the valve if i call honda up, and maybe the cost too?? when i went to acura they told me the whole coolant outlet assembly will cost about $250 and it will be about as much to install it too.

·
Anything fast and brutal
662 Posts
man have i needed this article. i'm assuming that ordering just the valve instead of the whole assembly won't be an issue cause it's the exact same piece minus all the other stuff?? does anyone have the part number for the valve if i call honda up, and maybe the cost too?? when i went to acura they told me the whole coolant outlet assembly will cost about $250 and it will be about as much to install it too.
There is a link to the part and the part# in the post I made.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It looks like a pipe fitting pitch, not a bolt pitch, maybe 1/2" npt dead end plug would do it, take your broke piece to the hardware store with you. Brass with hex head and some teflon tape or RTV sealant.

·
Anything fast and brutal
662 Posts
It looks like a pipe fitting pitch, not a bolt pitch, maybe 1/2" npt dead end plug would do it, take your broke piece to the hardware store with you. Brass with hex head and some teflon tape or RTV sealant.
Metric pipe fitting threads.
When I added my temp gauge sender unit there, I had to get an metric adaptor kit from Auto-Meter.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
First off, good info and pics talonxracer!

so you mean it is for faster warm up... just like warm up assist.. but i want to ask, what if the spring inside won't work.. it just leave open even the engine is warmed up... what would happen???
I guess this piece is for colder climates, and similar to the TB bypass (sorta).

Mine has been left unplugged due to a custom intake setup, but I had been planning on plugging it up with a water temp sender anyway as I did when I installed a water temp gauge in my friend's car.

Now I know what it's for, as I didn't even find the direct answer in the HELMs (regarding it being for warm-up).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts