Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering which intakes would work all right while boosting. I am specifically thinking more along the lines of the Jackson Racing SuperCharger.

Thinking through the dynamics of a boosted set-up I don't really think that the intake design (i.e. Cold-Air, Icebox, V2) would make a whole lot of a difference. The turbines will be pulling in air, and as long as the intake pipe/snorkel is as large in volume as the throttle body opening the SuperCharger will suck in air at its own volition.

But help me think this through better. Why would one design be better than another when boosting? I would think that the shortest pipe length would be the only variable, in which case the Icebox would actually work better, even though many people will say that the box is 'restrictive,' which apparently isn't true based on dynoes comparing it to CAIs.

The reason I ask is that I really like the Icebox design and was planning on purchasing it, but after learning that JR is working on a SuperCharger for my Base I am very eager to purchase that, and I don't want to buy something now that I'll have to trash if or when I boost.

Now realize that I'm working with a daily driver and do not care about breaking dyno hp records. I just want a boost in performance, so if I can get an intake like the Icebox that is quieter and looks stock and I don't have to worry about hydrolocking then that is a positive trade off to me even if it means I lose 5 to 10 hp.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It sounds like you are worried about hydrolocking, get the V2. I have had all 3 intakes; AEM SRI, AEM CAI, and AEM V2 and to be honest there isn't much difference between them. I like the V2 the best because you don't have to worry about hydrolocking, which destroyed 3 of my friend's cars recently, and I think it performs just as good as the CAI. As far as with boost, I have no clue which would work best but I would still stick with the V2 for the supercharger and the turbo kits have their own intake systems.

·
6,734 Posts
It's all about the temp. When air is compressed it gets "warmer". Take the following formula: Compressor Discharge Temp=P1/P2 * T1/T2. For instance. Looking for Temp2, my initial pressure is 29.92([email protected] level)/[email protected] of boost) times 80degreesF/xdegreesF. This computes out to 102.67 CDT. Now the higher the intake charge the higher the CDT. That is how this was explained to me. Personnally, I think this wrong. I believe you need to convert the temp to Kelvin then do the math and you get more like 180F. I think that is more accurate. Who knows, not me. Just saying, cold air is the best and you are right, once the SC is spinning, ambient air, hot air, cold air, it will displace 3.0L of air in about 1 second. Take this for what it is worth.

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
wdsonny said:
It's all about the temp. When air is compressed it gets "warmer". Take the following formula: Compressor Discharge Temp=P1/P2 * T1/T2. For instance. Looking for Temp2, my initial pressure is 29.92([email protected] level)/[email protected] of boost) times 80degreesF/xdegreesF. This computes out to 102.67 CDT. Now the higher the intake charge the higher the CDT. That is how this was explained to me. Personnally, I think this wrong. I believe you need to convert the temp to Kelvin then do the math and you get more like 180F. I think that is more accurate. Who knows, not me. Just saying, cold air is the best and you are right, once the SC is spinning, ambient air, hot air, cold air, it will displace 3.0L of air in about 1 second. Take this for what it is worth.

nice!!:iamwiths:

I have a turbo...but the theory is still correct, colder air is denser than warmer air, allowing more O2 to pack into the combustion chamber, which then allows the combusiton cycle to be more effecient, causing a rise in horsepower, safely. Now add a compressor into the mix and the air gets heated up from the compression of a turbo or SC, it's a must to cool that air charge.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more asking if a design like the stock airbox or the Comptech Icebox would somehow be restrictive or whether the supercharger would simply inhale whatever amount of air it wants ...

Basically, can someone illustrate the difference between using a McDonald's straw for an intake when supercharged versus using some 5" diameter piping when supercharged? And then relate that to a real world application by providing volume measurements of the V2 compared to the Icebox.

·
6,734 Posts
Dood, you are nuking this whole thing out way too much. CAI, SRI, V2, Icebox. They all do the same thing. Just remember cold air is best. You could have a 20inch intake diameter and it would still only suck 3inches of air per revolution. You are not a rocket scientist. Just drive your car.

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
A cold air intake is the only one to use. In every test we have done with superchargers and turbochargers there is more boost and more power with a cold air intake.

In a test I did yesterday on a JRSC ITR a cold air intake added 0.3-0.4 psi boost and 10-12hp compared to the short ram hot air intake. The most we saw was 35 hp and 0.8 psi additional boost on a turbo RSX with a cold air intake.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Not to sound like a major jackass, but if CAI is the ONLY intake to use with boost, how come none of the turbo kits include a CAI, they are all just a SRI. Also on stock turbo'd cars, people have tested both SRI and CAI and the SRI performed better.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm planning on going with the Comptech Icebox and then Supercharging. I don't really see a problem. I know I won't be getting the best peak performance, but that doesn't matter that much to me.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't sweat the small things man. These people act like someone with a CAI with get from point A to point B faster then someone with a V2 or Icebox. They are all high flow intakes...

·
I Don't Even
9,180 Posts
When you get a CAI, to prevent hydrolocking, cant you just install a bypass valve on your CAI to prevent water from getting in or whatever? *sorry if this is out of topic but i saw hydrolocking in one of the post ^.^*

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
and i was also told that you could put 20 bypass valves but when the filter is soaked its soaked...

Hondata said:
A cold air intake is the only one to use. In every test we have done with superchargers and turbochargers there is more boost and more power with a cold air intake.

In a test I did yesterday on a JRSC ITR a cold air intake added 0.3-0.4 psi boost and 10-12hp compared to the short ram hot air intake. The most we saw was 35 hp and 0.8 psi additional boost on a turbo RSX with a cold air intake.
for people with turbo's, with the greddy kit and i'ld assume many others as well, how can one make a CAI ? i thought there wasnt any room bc i guy reccommended this to me a while back...thanks

·
6,734 Posts
Inprogress2 said:
and i was also told that you could put 20 bypass valves but when the filter is soaked its soaked...

for people with turbo's, with the greddy kit and i'ld assume many others as well, how can one make a CAI ? i thought there wasnt any room bc i guy reccommended this to me a while back...thanks
You are not to smart. Doug, Matt and everyone else at Hondata are doing some serious testing on turbo and supercharged apps and getting some good results. For you to sit there and say they don't know what they are doing is your business. Personally, I would find out who you were and never sell you anything. Remember who you are speaking of.

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
wtf?...im not saying they dont know what theyre doing, maybe you misunderstood what i asked or i wasnt clear... instead of saying something stupid like that why not ask for clarification...i was asking them how they did it bc i too wanna make my SRI into a CAI bc i was also told that it would add power by the guys that tuned my car.

why would i doubt their work?...i had hondata #4 when my car was N/A and i loved it i know they know what theyre doing who am i to come off and doubt them?...

·
Registered
811 Posts
hondata,
do you think that the v2 could be tuned to work well with an sc app. i know it will be at a disadvantage compared to a CAI because of where it draws air from, but could the v2 "effect" be tuned for to make more power over a conventional SRI in an SC app?

·
6,734 Posts
Alright, before you doubt what I have done to help the RSX community. Think about what would it take to make a CAI for a Greddy turbo kit or any turbo kit for the RSX Type S?! The intake sits right above the stock airbox location. Correct?! In order for you fabricate a CAI you will need to run the piping straight down to the lower crossmember location or to the front left fenderwell (foglight location, Standard CAI location). I am not saying you doubt anything but your original post and Hondata's subsequent posts said you doubted what they were doing. The only thing I doubt in life is tomorrow. Will it come around? We will all see!

Inprogress2 said:
wtf?...im not saying they dont know what theyre doing, maybe you misunderstood what i asked or i wasnt clear... instead of saying something stupid like that why not ask for clarification...i was asking them how they did it bc i too wanna make my SRI into a CAI bc i was also told that it would add power by the guys that tuned my car.

why would i doubt their work?...i had hondata #4 when my car was N/A and i loved it i know they know what theyre doing who am i to come off and doubt them?...

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
ya you're right about what youre saying wdsonny, but i was confused because i was told the batter would have to be relocated and all this other stuff and then i just couldnt see how it could be done... where did it seem like i doubted them?...maybe i shoulda written my question differently, sorry for the misunderstanding

·
Vendor
1,224 Posts
emfollin said:
Not to sound like a major jackass, but if CAI is the ONLY intake to use with boost, how come none of the turbo kits include a CAI, they are all just a SRI. Also on stock turbo'd cars, people have tested both SRI and CAI and the SRI performed better.
1) Because the air intake point for the turbocharger dies not match up with any stock CAI.
2) Because it is cheaper not to include a CAI
3) Because intercooling piping is sometimes in the way of a CAI.

Regarding the tests between the CAI and SRI, do you have dyno charts and datalogs I can examine. Very few organisations go to the lengths we do to gather performance data and so are probably unaware of this information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts