Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there going to be a intercooler for JRSC. just wondering. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aftercooler

Hey wdsonny could you explain "Aftercooler". Not sure how that one works.

rsxs03 I have CAI already, was hoping that there was a intercooler coming out soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yes, you should run a CAI with the JRSC to make as much power as possible, the system would still benifit greatly from an intercooler of some sort. The intake tempurature will always be considerably higher in a FI app. without an intercooler, SC or turbo. The only place I have heard of that does intercoolers for JRSC is lhtperformance.net They have a pretty good description of what they do and how it works. They dont say they offer anythin for the rsx but i`m sure they could do one of there systems.

·
6,734 Posts
I haven't researched how an aftercooler works. I believe the liquid aftercooler JR offers now just cycle cool water into the intake tract. I really am not sure. I know if you manufacture and intercooler without having the boost upgrade you will lose pressure in the system and not boosting what you think you are.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ok an intercooler would do nothing that a CAI would do FOR THE JRSC. the reason an intercooler works for turbo is cause it is feeding off the HOT EXHAUST. The JRSC is just sucking sooooooooo when u suck from a CAI it will be BETTER than going through all kinds of piping and an intercooler. Here is a link where hondata tested a JRSC system and THEY USED A CAI. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=136880

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was trying to explain that to you. The reason you benifit from a CAI on a JRSC is because you draw cooler and therfore deser air from outside the engine bay. It gives more HP becuase since it is denser more oxygen atoms are drawn in from a specific volume of air then with warmer air. The reason the system would also benifit from an intercooler is because heat is created whenever you compress air, whether it be a turbo or sc app. Since the air is hotter it is less dense, therefor less oxygen atoms (actually oxygen is usually found as a diatomic molicule 02 but whatever) in a given volume. An intercooler in and SC or turbo app. cools the air, reducing the kenetic engery of the air molecules allowing more oxygen atoms to fit into the same volume. More oxygen plus more fuel= more power. Therefore a CAI and a intercooler would both be benificial on a JRSC. So before you run you mouth please learn a little more. And FYI an intercooler on the JRSC would not require additional piping.I think that is what you are saying. Your post is so incoherent i`m having troble understanding what you are trying to say. The Manifold that the JRSC blots to is simply replaced with one that contains some sort of cooling element, there are many styles so i`m not going into that. If you have any more questions on how such a setup would work or some dynos of the power tht have been made with such setups lhtperformance.net has some good info.

·
6,734 Posts
I believe I was referring to standard intercooler setup (2 or 3 core FMIC). That kind of IC would not be beneficial unless you mod the crank pulley and SC pulley to increase the boost pressure. I posted earlier about intake air temps and how to figure out how hot the compressor discharge temp will be once the air compressed. Since the JRSC is the manifold and the CDT is right there, there really is not much purpose of a FMIC type setup. With a turbo, the compressor housing is before the intake manifold so the air gets compressed, gets hot then travels through the IC then to the intake manifold all under boost (7psi or more; depending). Now some of that boost may go away because the air is being cooled down and expanding. Like I said, all dependent on how much PSI you are running.

·
Registered
437 Posts
you CANNOT use a FMIC with the JRSC. you could but think about how one works. it takes hot air and cools it to ambient temps. the air going to the SC is already ambient, therefore cannot be cooled more with an FMIC. the air going from the SC into the engine is heated up by the rotors in the SC but there is no plumbing in between the SC and intake valves to tap an air to air intercooler in. the only way to intercool this SC is to use water/sprayer cooling which sprays water into the intake tract or to use NOS, a small shot like Hondata recently demonstrated hitting 320Hp with a 40 shot.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sonny, my little rant wasnt directed towards you, nor was I talking about a FMIC. I was talking about a liquid to air IC like the one from the one from the site i posted and the one that hytech is using with there kit, if it ever comes out. While it would cause some pressure drop it wouldnt be a big deal. All you would have to do is use a smaller pulley to compenstate like you said.You really wouldnt be uping the boost just resising the pulley to maintain what you already had. You would still need to retune though. It still is possible to make more hp than without with just a little less boost since the charge is more dense anyway. I believe that site has a good example with there dyno of the IC on a SC's b20 vtec.

·
Registered
811 Posts
btappan, while the air going into the SC is at ambient temp the air that is compressed is heated up due to the fact it is being compressed. There is actually enough room to include an intercooler. You are right though, an air to air with a JRSC wouldnt be pracitocal because it would require a lot of extra plumbing, but you could easily fit an air to liquid IC in there. That site i posted has a perfect example of one. It simply requires the modification of the manifold that the JRSC unit it self is attached to. I dont feel like posting all those pics up so if you wanna se what it would look like check out the site.

·
Registered
115 Posts
RiceRocket112 said:
Is there going to be a intercooler for JRSC. just wondering. :)
Has anyone ELSE noticed how virtually every other supercharger kit out there is now incorporating water/air intercooler cores into their manifold design. Even the F'in OEM's are getting into the act. Do a little searching and you will find all sorts of cleaver designs out there. There is even a company (LHT as someone mentioned above) that MODIFIES the stock B Series JRSC manifold to incorporate a cooler. Everyone is doing it.

Everyone that is, EXCEPT Jackson Racing :mad: Its lazy bullshit really. They just don't want to spend any additional development $$$ on something that would no doubt sell but they know that we will buy the damn things anyway.

It really pisses me off actually because I like supercharges and the Jackson kit is impressive in every other respect but they just don't seem to get the intercooler thing (despite the EVIDENT FACT that EVERYONE ELSE DOES) GRRRR :mad: :jigglemad :jigglemad

·
6,734 Posts
You don't really need an intercooler. With IAT at 75 degrees F the CDT is only about 108 degrees F. It is not that hot. Don't get mad at something you will have or never have control of. Just pointless to bitch and complain about a million dollar company not bending over backwards. They have done some good work so far so just relax. I am one of the impatient ones waiting for the next upgrade so I can hit that 300WHP mark.

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
I don't have the details (so don't ask) but I do know that a front mount intercooler for the JRSC has and is being tested with great gains. Again, I don't know anything more about it so don't ask.

It is possible and it is the only way that you are going to be able to cool down the air enough without using nitrous or cryo.

·
6,734 Posts
Correction: With IAT at 75 the Compressor Discharge Temp is only 99 degrees F.

I believe the formula is:
CDT = 29.92inHG(1psi)/39.69inHG (4.8psi) times 75F (or IAT that you get)/X. You are solving for X. I believe I did that formula correctly. Anyone else have an idea?

·
Registered
115 Posts
wdsonny said:
You don't really need an intercooler. With IAT at 75 degrees F the CDT is only about 108 degrees F. It is not that hot. Don't get mad at something you will have or never have control of. Just pointless to bitch and complain about a million dollar company not bending over backwards. They have done some good work so far so just relax. I am one of the impatient ones waiting for the next upgrade so I can hit that 300WHP mark.
I don't have any hard data on the new RSX charger and it does use the newer Eaton design which is said to be more efficient but I can say from experience that the JRSC at 8 PSI on my previous B18C civic would hit intake temps as high as 250 degrees last august at VIR. This was measured using an Autometer intake temp gauge with the thermocouple placed inside the manifold at the outlet of the supercharger.

Water/methanol injection helped a lot but an intercooler would have been a better solution.

Mike

·
6,734 Posts
Like I said. I am not sure if I am doing that formula correctly. The temps seems kind of low. I would think it would be much higher.

·
6,734 Posts
I just changed the formula using Kelvin instead of F. 75F converts to 297K. Now plug in the numbers before. Now I am getting like 247F. So maybe the CDT is much higher than I thought.

·
Registered
115 Posts
wdsonny said:
I just changed the formula using Kelvin instead of F. 75F converts to 297K. Now plug in the numbers before. Now I am getting like 247F. So maybe the CDT is much higher than I thought.
Thats in line with the temps I saw on my civic. When it would get that hot the J&S Safeguard I had would begin to pull a lot of timing and it really killed the power. Thats why I ended up installing the water injection. It really did help but you have to keep a watchfull eye on the water level. It would always seem to run out at the worst possible time.

Mike

1 - 20 of 38 Posts