Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a cybernation I or II for the summer. I am trying to keep this car as low profile as possible and was wondering if it is possible to have the intercooler painted black to go with the car and kind of hide it from really obvious view? I do not mean the exact paint code or anything just a flat black. If it is possible, are there any damaging effects by doing this?

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
Use a grill... I have a black grill from grillcraft (see below pic) and am thinking my intercooler will not be seen :D

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
nbp03types said:
I am planning on a cybernation I or II for the summer. I am trying to keep this car as low profile as possible and was wondering if it is possible to have the intercooler painted black to go with the car and kind of hide it from really obvious view? I do not mean the exact paint code or anything just a flat black. If it is possible, are there any damaging effects by doing this?
I was thinking the same thing, but I think it might have negative effects, considering that black typically absorbs heat, and I think just the fact that you are painting the metal would also diminish the heat radiating qualities of the core. But I'm not sure in the practical application of it all whether it would make a difference or not...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XxThInKxX said:
i like the look of the intercooler, but it would be cool to stay sleeperish and not let people know as well.
that is the thing, i really like the sleeper look. that is probably why i like the grand nationals so much.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
you could go through all that trouble but as soon as you talk to someone from around your way the word will spend like wildfire.might as well show it off.btw i have heard people putting pantyhose over it to hide it?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nossy said:
I was thinking the same thing, but I think it might have negative effects, considering that black typically absorbs heat, and I think just the fact that you are painting the metal would also diminish the heat radiating qualities of the core. But I'm not sure in the practical application of it all whether it would make a difference or not...
If you paint it black, I doubt that the intercooler would conduct nearly as much heat as it not painted. The whole purpose is to cool compressed air back down to close to atmospheric temps. You might be able to powdercoat the intercooler black without noticeable negative effects- it doesn't really thicken the intercooler fins and metal is still exposed. Black is typically the best heat absorber, but it's also the best heat radiator...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts