Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i kno many of you are familiar with the top fuel rsx that has been discussed on this board before. the idea of a top mount intercooler intrigues me because i like the idea of a more "sleeperish" turbo setup, if it is possible. well my question is which intercooler is used on the top fuel setup or were custom endtanks welded on? and secondly would the air inlet on the nose of a cwest bumper or a similar bumper be enough to cool the air flowing through the intercooler or would a vented CF hood allow any more air flow into the engine bay? ooo and i just got another idea how about a fan or something mounted either on top of the intercooler or underneath to draw air through it. would that help at all?

·
WOT shift foh lyfe!
262 Posts
if i boost, i definately want a "top mount" setup with some kind of modified hood. i can't stand all those bends just for a front mount setup, i bet it hurts throttle response, not to mention some boost loss. i would like to see some kind of air-to-water intercooler used like with the vortech supercharger units for other cars, but vortech does not make a kit that can be adapted for this car. the fan idea sounds pretty good, and i'd really like to see someone use this.

·
I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
chrisnick said:
if i boost, i definately want a "top mount" setup with some kind of modified hood. i can't stand all those bends just for a front mount setup, i bet it hurts throttle response, not to mention some boost loss. i would like to see some kind of air-to-water intercooler used like with the vortech supercharger units for other cars, but vortech does not make a kit that can be adapted for this car. the fan idea sounds pretty good, and i'd really like to see someone use this.
The problem with Air to water intercoolers is that they are great for drag racing at the track, because you can fill your water reservoir with ice, greatly increasing the units efficiency. However, when used in day to day street driving, they tend to just heat up the water and do a less than favorable job at cooling your compressed intake charge.

If you are looking for the stealth look, just keep your stock front end, and get your intercooler thermal coated. It will be finished in a flat black color, and will look far less ominous.

You can get the work done here: Swain Tech Stealth Coatings

With the Stealth coatings, not only will it hide your FMIC, it will aide in increasing the unit's efficiency as well.

As far as being concerned about the bends in the plumbing... Well, in theory, you will be subject to slightly more pressure drop, and your charge velocities may be affected slightly, but the benefits way outway the negatives.

Finally, unless you are interested in installing some huge unsightly aftermarket hood onto your vehicle (You can then forget about being "Stealth" anyway), you may as well forget about some sort of top mount... There simply is not enough room under there, to install something of enough size to be effective.

If you want to be daring, you may try one of those Cryofreezers, I have seen in the magazines... Yet again, you will face the same problems you will see with the Air/Water method... The Cryo units will only work when you are cycling the CO2. So, once again, forget about daily driving efficiency.

See ya,
JMS

·
Registered
362 Posts
My Integra runs turbo without I/C. I'll try to find the link where they did a comparison on cars just running minimum boost with I/C and without I/C it was not that big of a deal with folks who ran without I/C. I mean Im not suggesting to run forever without I/C b.c. I have one now but its a side mount for low profile I dont want people to know Im running turbo, but for time being its not the most impt. deal when putting turbo kit together

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.