Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS k2 cams in motion.

Tags
cams ips motion
7K views 114 replies 41 participants last post by  a_peep 
#1 ·
BigDawg & JTSmith installed them into their cars this weekend. Install went smoothly once we remembered that the timing chain auto-tensioner has an access plate. JTSmith also upgraded his valvesprings, which went suprisingly smoothly with 2 people, air compressor, and dinky valve spring tool he bought for 100$.

Anyhow, mods to the best of my knowledge are as follows:

JTSmith:

aem cold air intake
comptech race header
comptech exhaust
IPS k2 cams

Swwifty:

comptech icebox
type-r header + spoon downpipe
fujitsubo power getter exhaust
type-r cams
type-r intake manifold
rear seats removed

Both have k-pro, some sort of suspension work, stock wheel/tire size, some type of engine dampner/mount. So aside from the cams & intake manifold, they're pretty well matched. I rode in swwifty's (black) car first, then JTSmith's (white).

video was shot in 16:9, aspect ratio will be skewed unless you use a player that will do 16:9 such as the divx player. enjoy.

RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS PLEASE!!!!!

See less See more
#6 ·
swwifty said:
lol, I sound so gay in that video.

I had to yell that though because Justin was thinking his car didn't feel any faster. :laughing:
hehe. yeah, n/a is wierd like that - the power is so smooth that the seat of the pants doesn't tell you much. Both JTSmith's and BigDawg's cars felt good to me! BigDawg's had a much more noticeable vtec xover, but they've both got hours and hours of tuning ahead of them. I can't wait to see the final result.

#9 ·
I will post more on the cams later, but I just got back from another logging session and I think I am getting somewhere. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
chunky said:
hehe. yeah, n/a is wierd like that - the power is so smooth that the seat of the pants doesn't tell you much. Both JTSmith's and BigDawg's cars felt good to me! BigDawg's had a much more noticeable vtec xover, but they've both got hours and hours of tuning ahead of them. I can't wait to see the final result.
yeah smoother is ussually faster. I think NA is just deceptively fast.

#14 ·
I just got off of the phone with him, and he made it home okay. I guarantee he hit 120+ on the way home though.

Thanks to Dave and Razid for coming over last night so that we could monkey our way through the first set (on Justin's car). It really helped out since I installed mine this afternoon in about 3 hours and 45 minutes (with a little goofing around going on :laughing: ).

#15 ·
9bells said:
Post up a log, Dawg! (sorry, couldn't resist, but really, can we gander?)
I will tomorrow after I get one that is just a short full throttle pull. The logs I have right now are about 10-15 minutes long and show me doing 100 on back roads next to my house. :driving:

#16 ·
chunky said:
So aside from the cams & intake manifold, they're pretty well matched.
Forgot about that, Justin still has the PRB manifold and managed to pull on swwifty despite a 190lb handicap he carried. I know he's going to start emailing me more often about better induction now that he's better equipped.

-Ron

#17 ·
Hapa DC5 said:
all i have to say is wow...
AOL is blocking my emails to you at the ISP domain level. AOL doesn't like comcast for spam abuse. Do you have another email address? Been trying to reply to you a couple times now.

-Ron

#19 ·
edo said:
Forgot about that, Justin still has the PRB manifold and managed to pull on swwifty despite a 190lb handicap he carried. I know he's going to start emailing me more often about better induction now that he's better equipped.

-Ron
yep. a PRC manifold was definitely one of the things he mentioned.

and not to split hairs, but his handicap was over 190lb, he was still full interior + tools/oil/crap in the trunk. Swwifty had his back seats pulled & empty trunk.

Either way, it says a lot about the drop in performance of the IPS k2's. Justin is anxious to get to the dyno now. . .

#21 ·
very nice video... i bet with the prc manifold and some tuning, it would have been maybe another car or two pulled in favor or JTsmith :laughing:

the 2nd race seemed a bit weird since JTsmith didnt pull as hard as the first race. I guess thats what ~200lbs could do to a car and having the windows down huh? albeit, very good video and sounds WICKED!

#22 ·
jfo122 said:
I've been waiting to see these cams in action for a long time...let's see what they can do at the track
k-pro, cai, race header, catback exhaust, es mm and some nice sticky tires i would bet the addition to the ips-k2 and tuning (plus good driver of course) you can net mid to low 13s. heck DC5 RSX managed to do high 13s constant on the same setup minus k-pro tuning and the ips-k2 cams.

#23 ·
Not doubting anything, just trying to get better picture here; is swwifty dyno-tuned with the itr set-up? Cause if he is fully tuned, and the ips' are just dropped in with base calibration, then they are incredible, especially considering the fact that Jt is missing itr mani, bored tb,img...

#24 ·
Here I am :D

Well, first off gotta say thanks to chunky, BigDawg, and swiffty. You guys are awesome mechanics and you're not half bad to hang around either :laughing:

The best description I can give of these cams is "deceptively fast". It's SO smooth. With the stock cams, it was really abrupt power delivery, especially when it hit vtec and then you could feel it really fall off after 7500rpm. With the K2's you just get a constant pull that last all the way until the rev limiter(I have it at 8600) and I'm sure these cams will do great even up to 9K, probably higher. I honestly can't stress how smooth the power delivery is. It's unreal. I can't wait to get another intake manifold to help realize the full potential of these cams. Even though I'm on the stock type S intake mani, you wouldn't believe how well my car pulls up top

Oh and the first time me and Jarrod went for a ride, we got a little surprise. I rolled out from a stop light in first gear and punched it. The car just accellerated. No wheelspin at all in first. Shifted into second and I almost hit the rev limiter. Absolutely destroyed the tires when I got on it second and I didn't even shift hard :laughing: That's when I started realizing there was definitely more power on tap.

So needless to say, the more I drive them, the more I like them. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the dyno and the 1/4mi really soon :thumbsup:

#25 ·
chunky said:
yep. a PRC manifold was definitely one of the things he mentioned.

and not to split hairs, but his handicap was over 190lb, he was still full interior + tools/oil/crap in the trunk. Swwifty had his back seats pulled & empty trunk.

Either way, it says a lot about the drop in performance of the IPS k2's. Justin is anxious to get to the dyno now. . .
I want to get him something better than a PRC, but yes there's quite a restriction there believe it or not, +3mm at the plenum increases midrange torque as well as lifting peak power. Imagine what a proper intake manifold or ITB's will do. I hope we can get him something before he gets dyno-tuned.

-Ron

#26 ·
BigDawg said:
I just got off of the phone with him, and he made it home okay. I guarantee he hit 120+ on the way home though.
You know me too well already man.

BigDawg said:
Thanks to Dave and Razid for coming over last night so that we could monkey our way through the first set (on Justin's car). It really helped out since I installed mine this afternoon in about 3 hours and 45 minutes (with a little goofing around going on :laughing: ).
Definitely need to thank those guys. We would have actually been done a couple of hours earlier with mine if we had just listened to Dave. And Razid is a freakin walking Helms manual. They definitely helped everything go faster/smoother :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.