Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
...it's too big
16,702 Posts
ditch_diver said:
bodyshop guy told me that there might be different kinds of Satin Silver Metallic. More specifically east cost silver could be different from west coast silver.. is he bsing me?
yes he is lying... all ssms have a paint code... its the same whether you are in LA or NY

·
Registered
137 Posts
actually no they might be right, i mean i have eternal blue pearl and its bp96 or something for the code, the guy at the body shop needed more than that. he went out wrote down the color code then he needed my vin number, the 11th number/letter or watever it was for the specific paint. i asked him why and he said something about the color for honda. he's my dad's friend he just did 4 of my friends car, and now mine is the 5th one. i think it may matter

·
Registered
67 Posts
zzwannabedjzz said:
actually no they might be right, i mean i have eternal blue pearl and its bp96 or something for the code, the guy at the body shop needed more than that. he went out wrote down the color code then he needed my vin number, the 11th number/letter or watever it was for the specific paint. i asked him why and he said something about the color for honda. he's my dad's friend he just did 4 of my friends car, and now mine is the 5th one. i think it may matter
Very true. I had a '00 EBP (B95P) Civic Si and went through a chaotic time trying to get the very exact mixed paint to match the OEM paint for my Bomex kit. All the above was done, i.e. VIN # etc., including a paint scan. And being that it was a pearl made it a huge pain in the ass. Blending finally had to be done. I believe that all of a specific color car have the same paint code but I also believe that the shade of the paint will vary from assembly plant to assembly plant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
He might be meaning the different climates they are in, coastal climates tend to weather faster than other areas. (Salty, sandy areas) You couldnt' tell by the naked eye, but if you lived in L.A. for about a year with your car, and had it repainted with the code, it probably won't match due to this.

·
bye RSX, hello TSX
1,111 Posts
ditch_diver said:
bodyshop guy told me that there might be different kinds of Satin Silver Metallic. More specifically east cost silver could be different from west coast silver.. is he bsing me?
He is right in first part but wrong about the east/west thing. Honda uses SSM on almost every vehicle they make but the difference will come from different shades of the color used for different models. You can find the shade of a specific color on newer honda's either on the door jamb label or the vin #. The colors may all have the the same code (NH623M) but there will be a corresponding letter that is found in the vin # and/or door jamb that will tell the specific shade. The 11th letter in your vin is your color shade and can also be found on the door jamb label at the bottom right hand corner. So NH623M becomes NH623M-C if a C is found on the label or vin tag.

·
It Tastes Like Burning
166 Posts
Silver1RSX said:
He is right in first part but wrong about the east/west thing. Honda uses SSM on almost every vehicle they make but the difference will come from different shades of the color used for different models. You can find the shade of a specific color on newer honda's either on the door jamb label or the vin #. The colors may all have the the same code (NH623M) but there will be a corresponding letter that is found in the vin # and/or door jamb that will tell the specific shade. The 11th letter in your vin is your color shade and can also be found on the door jamb label at the bottom right hand corner. So NH623M becomes NH623M-C if a C is found on the label or vin tag.

hes right, just to reiterate.

taken from paintscratch.com when ordering paint:

"Special note on Honda and Acura.

The factory code is located in the lower right hand corner of your color plate. For example, the color below would be listed on our site as B-89P. When you select factory code A from the drop down list of factory codes on our site, the color code becomes B-89-A which is not the same color as B-89. For accurate colors, please enter this letter or number! If you do not see a factory code on your color plate, please use the 11th digit of your VIN.

Many Honda and Acura vehicles will not have a factory code on the color plate. Again, enter the 11th digit of your VIN so we can properly formulate your paint."

so in the end, i'd be more comfortable going to this guy who actually knows about these little details than a shop that doesnt. he may not be 100% clear about exactly why he needs the code, but he knows he needs it. and your paint will actually match at the end of the day. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
i actually went to a ppg paint shop and the reason for the 11th number is cause theres more than one factory that our stuff gets painted at. they all use the same paint code but each place is alittle different from eachother. they cant mix the paint exactly the same everytime so wannabe is right.

·
It Tastes Like Burning
166 Posts
VisionZ_RSX said:
i actually went to a ppg paint shop and the reason for the 11th number is cause theres more than one factory that our stuff gets painted at. they all use the same paint code but each place is alittle different from eachother. they cant mix the paint exactly the same everytime so wannabe is right.

if they cant mix it exactly the same every time, then why bother with the paint code at all? they might as well be eyeballing it. if a giant company cant get their factories to match paint correctly, how is a rink a dink body shop supposed to match it? :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
rofl..I like how everyone is so quick to say its bullshit because...they have no idea one way or another.

I just got my satin silver painted in december. the paint wasnt even a year old and they had to match it.
you're cars paint doesnt lay around in gallon cans in some warehouse somewhere perfectly matched to your vehicle ya know...lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.