Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to know if anybody had any problems with there cold air intakes. Is it safe? or do i have to be careful driving when it rains and stuff

·
dude..wheres my car
16,177 Posts
frank51 said:
Having a CAI can and will cause water to get in, and if this does happen it won't be cheap to fix.
its safe unless ur area floods alot...if ur filter gets submerged in water ur owned...if a lil water splashes up at its ok..just dont make it a lot. just be sure to go really slow over puddles and if it looks deep go the other way

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The CAI won't suck anything up unless the filter tip is totally submerged. But don't let it get drenched in water, either, because water vapors will seap in and slowly cause you troubles down the road.

Any performance modification negatively alters reliability and durability.

9,696 Posts
Where do you live, nighthawk? I live in Texas and plan on getting my cai within the next week. We can get some rain downhere but it rarely causes large puddles of water. The deepest I've seen have been just a few inches.

·
Registered
108 Posts
James S said:
The CAI won't suck anything up unless the filter tip is totally submerged.
Very much untrue. At least in my experience. I had a AEM CAI on my car and was driving home in the rain. Now, on the main roads everything was fine, but when I hit some back roads they had a bit more water on the road. by no means am I talking about puddles, just water. I was driving along and all of a sudden my entire car started "shuttering" violently. Every time I hit the gas (revved) this violent shake would occur. It stopped after about 30 seconds, but I immediately had the CAI taken off the car and had a compression test done. Thankfully, everything turned out OK. I did get water in the engine, but didn't do any damage.

That being said, I have a AEM CAI for sale that was only on my car for 1 month. :smilemad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have CAI on mine, it normally doesn't rain in Vegas however it rained for 2 wks straight the day after I installed it. Driving slow when you get new parts sucks. either way I didn't notice any problems, nor do I think driving in rain hurts. Just don't submerge it, no puddles, nothing bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How about a mechanics opinion?

K20Vtec said:
I have CAI on mine, it normally doesn't rain in Vegas however it rained for 2 wks straight the day after I installed it. Driving slow when you get new parts sucks. either way I didn't notice any problems, nor do I think driving in rain hurts. Just don't submerge it, no puddles, nothing bad.
Jesus.

I don't see any other topic on this message board go more back and forth than this damn AEM CAI issue.

I just bought my AEM CAI; READY to install!

is there anyone who actually works on cars or knows something other than what their personal experience was? some freakin scientific proof for pete's sake?!

I want to put my AEM CAI on but this borad is KilLiNg Me...

9,696 Posts
Just do it and avoid large puddles. Does it rain everyday where you live or something?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Put it on, it's your engine. The same people that say it won't hurt anything will be the first ones that say "I told you so" anyway.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i got one on. no problems as of yet. i like it. good stuff. do your own thing. have fun. be real. eat count chocula, gooooood shit!

·
Registered
21 Posts
the best thing to do is run over as many deep puddles as you can so if the motor does injest water it will be used to it :) hehehe

·
doing stuff
3,595 Posts
The base needs the dam thing... slap it on!

·
Registered
925 Posts
haha, CAI is safe, stop worrying about hydro locking. u gotta be in a flood for that to happen. common sense is useful too, don't go over a deep puddle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts