Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

is hearing the transmission normal?

926 views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  kurdtkobain87 
#1 ·
whenever i rev the engine in neutral i can lightly hear the transmission spin, but if i press in the clutch and rev all i can hear is the engine. so is it normal to lightly hear the transmission spin when revving the engine with the clutch not pressed in?

#2 ·
Not really. I would at least check your tranny fluid to make sure you're not low, but if you're going to bother with checking it, you should just go ahead and change it.

#11 ·
Any mechanical problem is probably covered under warranty. Take it to the dealership and describe your problem to them. Make sure you get a technician in the car with you so you can show them when it does it and point out what it sounds like. Don't just tell them you hear something and then let them take the car w/o you showing them the problem because they will, either not be able to duplicate the problem, or not hear what you are talking about. They shouldn't resist letting you reproduce the problem for them.

#14 ·
lol at changing trans fluid at 22k...esp. manual gearbox fluid...

but i just bought my rsx yesterday and the guy told me everything in the powertrain is covered except the cluth itself...idk if the throwout bearing is coverd or not..but thats most likely not the problem...i would say if its noticable at any speed over 35 with out the radio...then maybe check it out..or better yet go to your dealer and test drive a similiar car...and see if it makes that noise.

#16 ·
yea when i do that with my automatic legend and put it in first i hear that squeeling sound like if i have a s/c or something. but then again i dont think ive ever changed my trans. fluid since ive gotten the car :[

#17 ·
Check for bad TO Bearing:
Start car and put shifter in neutral
Let out clutch and listen for whirring/chirping noise. If noise goes away when you lightly put your foot on the clutch pedal, then your TO bearing is shot. Just had mine replaced (not under warranty) and it had these symptoms. Also notable was driving in my underground parking garage listening to the "chirp-chirp-chirp-ing" as I drive slowly in 1st gear (3k rpm).

Acura dealer warned me that a bad TO bearing would NOT be covered under warranty.

#18 ·
ya know... ive actually gone to the dealer for that sound. because i do hear a faint whirring noise in neutral and it goes away when i put the clutch in. the dealer acknowledged that the sound is there and that it goes away when the clutch is in and then they told me its normal. what do i say to that? they said "when the clutch is pressed in the transmission is dettached from the engine so that sound goes away." so yeah what kind of response can i give to that?

#19 ·
ive had this issue for a while now also and it hasnt caused any driveability problems....does the throwout bearing NEED to be replaced?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.