Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say a pretty less than 5k miles car doesn't get driven for 2-3 month.. only started and idled for 10-15 mins each week..

is that bad for the car??

or is it bad for the fluids such as transmission or oil??

thanks

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
I cant understand what your asking...

but....Short trips are bad for a car...

also

Letting a car sit for months on end is bad....There are certain things that should be done to the fluids like Gas and Oil..

oil is supposed to be changed every 3k miles or 3 months....(atleast that is wat is recommended)

Starting the car for 10-15 min is sometimes "useless"..

its better for the car to be driven...sitting at idle can leave moisture in the exhaust pipe...etc <---this is know is tru and important***

Things like your battery and tires might also go too in that amount of time...(altho it shouldnt)

there are some other things you need to look out for when storing your car for extended periods of time (but i personally dont know all the details)

have to do a search or "google" it

free bump tho

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Just starting it and idling for 10-15m every week is actually one of the worst things you can do.

The car never really gets up to full running temperature, you don't burn of any of the condensation that formed as the car cooled down, and then you leave it in a scenario where more condensation can form.

My RSX has sat in my driveway for upto a month during the winter with no special preparation and its been fine. Much longer than that and I would pull the battery, run the tires up to max inflation pressure, and make sure the oil is better than 50% of the change interval. In either case filling the gas tank is a good idea because it leaves less wall exposed for condensation to form. Again, much more than a month and some fuel stabilizer is cheap insurance.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
hmmmmm a very good thread was around here a little while ago about idling and warming up... i started it but im too lazy to find it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't leave it on the lawn. Very bad thing to do. I let my Jeep sit for months on end without even looking at it. I've never had a problem with just driving it when I feel like it, same goes for my bike, although I do try to keep the tank full on the bike for condensation purposes mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Might I ask why/when you plan on doing this?

It depends cause I could possibly suggest some stuff that others haven't :thumbsup:

(my dad stores a car every winter and we have learned a lot about storage)

·
Registered
452 Posts
if you live somewhere hot, like me, leaving your car on asphalt or concrete can cause the tires to morph after awhile, especially this time of year, lets jus say the rides alittle "bumpy" when you drive it next

·
Registered
147 Posts
I may need to be backed up by the other guys here since I've never personally done this. I would recommend NOT idling it every week - just let it sit. Put it in a garage, brick the under carriage so the tires are off the ground, or at least with reduced ground pressure. Fill the gas tank (like gas station -> house -> storage). Top off the oil. Disconnect the battery (make sure you know the stereo's codes). and top off all the rest of the fluids to their normal degree. Throw a tarp over it, and let her sit until you get back.

I heard this story once, it may be a myth. But some dude bought a brand new 60's vette and like a week later was shipped out to vietnam and was killed. His mother just let the car sit in the barn. What he did was bricked the undercarriage and removed the tires entirely, drained ALL the fluids out and over filled them all to the rim with oil (including the gas tank). Tossed a tap over it and left. 30+ years later it was found - in perfect condition - and oiling ALL the parts preserved them for that long.

·
Sell me your NES games!!
5,876 Posts
I may need to be backed up by the other guys here since I've never personally done this. I would recommend NOT idling it every week - just let it sit. Put it in a garage, brick the under carriage so the tires are off the ground, or at least with reduced ground pressure. Fill the gas tank (like gas station -> house -> storage). Top off the oil. Disconnect the battery (make sure you know the stereo's codes). and top off all the rest of the fluids to their normal degree. Throw a tarp over it, and let her sit until you get back.

I heard this story once, it may be a myth. But some dude bought a brand new 60's vette and like a week later was shipped out to vietnam and was killed. His mother just let the car sit in the barn. What he did was bricked the undercarriage and removed the tires entirely, drained ALL the fluids out and over filled them all to the rim with oil (including the gas tank). Tossed a tap over it and left. 30+ years later it was found - in perfect condition - and oiling ALL the parts preserved them for that long.
That's one of those urban legend type stories. It's also the lyrics to a country song from a couple years ago, the one with the solidier ghost "sitting" in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
to add on to whats said,

my cars been sitting in a garage during Michigan winter for about 4 months, the gas tank was full or almost full i believe but the cars up for an oil change.

im sure the gas is gone bad by now, so do I cyphin out the old gas fill it up with some new gas to get to a gas station and top it off there?

and the oil, drive it and get the oil changed someplace, or change it myself on the spot before starting the car? would one of those system flushes they offer at the oil change places or the dealerships be best?

also, brake fluid, coolant, etc anything else?

thanks

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
to add on to whats said,

my cars been sitting in a garage during Michigan winter for about 4 months, the gas tank was full or almost full i believe but the cars up for an oil change.

im sure the gas is gone bad by now, so do I cyphin out the old gas fill it up with some new gas to get to a gas station and top it off there?

and the oil, drive it and get the oil changed someplace, or change it myself on the spot before starting the car? would one of those system flushes they offer at the oil change places or the dealerships be best?

thanks
The gas is probably still fine. I would take it for a short drive and then change the oil.

·
Banned
54 Posts
yeah just make sure you change the oil soon. Fluids should be ok just make sure they are full. Next time before storing the car you should add some type of fuel stablizer in while you fill up the tank. This will allow the fuel to stay good because depending on conditions fuel can have a very short shelf life.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts

·
Soup to nuts
7,175 Posts
i wonder if any of you guys warm up your car before driving? how long do you guys recommend to warm up the car??
Let the car warm up for 30 seconds to a minute, then drive it nicely till its warm.

My cars going on 2+ months right now... i have no idea how much gas is in the tank, my rotors are rusted... and theres no motor in it lol

·
Danger to Manifold
457 Posts
With my evo during the winter months, i take her out once a month and drive out half a tank of gas then refill. She ends up find, and its been 3 years since I bought her and she's fine. She watch your tire pressure, your fuel, change your oil after a long sit and make sure to drive around and obtain foods like pizza and boobs, er, ribs :-D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.