Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Perpetrator
53,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know you can accelerate (throttle only) in a turn, such as out of the apex, but what about shifting? i know not to downshift, but during an upshift in a turn, my bike kinda wobbled. it kinda scared me for a second.

so is it bad to upshift during a turn? i'm not talking about street corners. i'm talking about on a twisty road.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
i dont think you should be shifting in the corner. you should set your speed before you enter the turn. give it a little maintenance throttle through the turn to keep the bike stable the accelerate out of the turn.

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
yeah you should always be in the ready gear before a turn...also compensate ur RPMS because they might raise a little more when you corner because the smaller contact patch of the tire (smaller circumference?)

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
if its a long sweeper and not a sharp corner...try clutchless shifting...if done correctly it upsets the bike less...i do it on fast sweepers

·
_PiLF
11,861 Posts
I wouldn't shift through a hard corner either. Just think, if you're leaning over and you don't match RPMs you might lose it.

·
Acura 3.2TL
3,836 Posts
i know you can accelerate (throttle only) in a turn, such as out of the apex, but what about shifting? i know not to downshift, but during an upshift in a turn, my bike kinda wobbled. it kinda scared me for a second.

so is it bad to upshift during a turn? i'm not talking about street corners. i'm talking about on a twisty road.
yes, you can upshift in twisty's. You just need more experince and the wobbling will go away. When you get really good, you can downshift fast to slow down again before a tight corner. But that takes tons of practice becasue you can very easliy low side the bike.

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
so i came back from an aggresive canyon ride...one of us was filming so i hope to get the video soon... i tried upshifting on a sweeper without using the clutch and it was real smooth

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think the thing that you should be concerned about is applying power too quickly to the rear tire, and cause it to fishtail (i forgot the technical term, someone help me out)

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
lol drift? yeah thats bad

but were talking about upshifting in the turn. when you let the throttle go and pull the clutch in to shift...the weight ratio is about 70 front and 30 rear... the most optimum weight ratio is 40 front 60 rear while riding (mostly to the rear) the weight shift is what throws the bike around

·
Registered
11,755 Posts
I knew a guy in college who high-sided his brand new CBR because he was downshifting in a moderate curve. The momentary traction loss (followed by traction regain) from the weight shift flipped his bike in a split second.

I downshift and throttle match while braking prior to the curve, and then I pour on the throttle as I hit the apex.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts