Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have my base RSX (the same one from my 2015 post lol) and every once in a while I would contemplate getting the Type S. Well, apparently, if you want a clean 05-06 Type S with around 120k miles you have to pay $10k or higher and >100k mile cars are worth $15k now?

A couple of years back I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case lol

The RSX is practically a 20-year-old car now, and my guess is prices are getting jacked since they're harder to find. I probably answered my own question but what do you guys think? What else could be causing the sudden price increase?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I still have my base RSX (the same one from my 2015 post lol) and every once in a while I would contemplate getting the Type S. Well, apparently, if you want a clean 05-06 Type S with around 120k miles you have to pay $10k or higher and >100k mile cars are worth $15k now?

The RSX is practically a 20-year-old car now, and my guess is prices are getting jacked since they're harder to find. I probably answered my own question but what do you guys think? What else could be causing the sudden price increase?
well its a couple different things, for starters the RSX Type S is kind of like the USDM Integra type R in the fact that every boy racer in the early 2000s (and still to this day) has modified them within an inch of its life. And being that the car is 20 years old now, the unfortunate reality is that a lot of them were crashed, totaled, or stolen and stripped for parts so the amount of them out there just isn't nearly what it used to be. And the biggest thing: MECUM, BRING A TRAILER, ETC. have totally fucked up the Japanese car market. Acura Integra Type R's selling for 60-80k and NSX fetching over 100k.. and a little blue EM1 getting a 50k premium, now everyone and their mom wants a JDM Honda because even though we've all been "hip to the know" since forever, people are FINALLY starting to realize how amazing these old school Hondas are. So now because these clean low mile examples have brought such extraordinary prices at auction, the ENTIRE market has gone up across the board. This is the unfortunate truth... if anyone else has any input please feel free to join.

It sucks because i have LOVED Hondas since forever! And now the market fucking up the prices has really made things a little bit more difficult to buy. Hopefully my dream of soon getting a clean Prelude isn't going to be pushed off by a hike in prices because I've already started noticing these fucking YouTubers are buying them or modifying them and bringing light to the brilliance that is the 4th and 5th Gen Prelude... time will tell..

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I was actually shopping for a 5th gen Prelude when I got my RSX, since I've always been more of an Accord/Prelude fan than anything. I still badly want those last two gens of Prelude, but I'd have nowhere to put another car even if I bought a dirt cheap beater to set aside for later restoration. I haven't noticed them getting popular, though.

As for RSX prices, I've been looking at their market every now and then since I bought mine, and they never really seemed to drop from what I was seeing. Prices now are the same as they were 8 years ago. Seems there were always a few 'low mileage' sellers asking for a bit over $10k. $15k was more A-spec pricing, though. The difference between a base and a Type S isn't worth buying a new car for; just engine-swap it. You could even do one better and get a K24A from HMO for a good price. I have no desire to get rid of mine since I like it so much, and the Japanese car market as of late is just another reason. I'll just give it a respray, swap the engine, and I'm still debating whether or not I want to put a manual transmission in. I've got another manual car to enjoy, and I do like autos in traffic - RSX is the perfect daily, in my opinion.

·
{~UDP~}
267 Posts
I agree that the prices are going up due to the rarity of these cars, but the thing that concerns me the most is the aftermarket and even OEM quality parts are becoming more scarce. A lot of really good aftermarket parts have been discontinued and now are near impossible to find. I'm on RSX #2 now, I bought an 03 typeS in '06 and modded the crap out of it. It was totaled in the Rocky Mountains by a mule deer in '12. It only took me a couple years to miss the shit out of it so I got another 04 typeS with ~70k but I babied this one. I'm just cracking 100k now and ready to start modding again and slowly figuring out its a different market now. I feel like its just going to get worse.

I'm kicking myself for not banking up parts this whole time. Despite the enjoyment and ease of driving these cars stock, there is always just a little something to be desired!

·
WILDCARD!
1,496 Posts
I agree that the prices are going up due to the rarity of these cars, but the thing that concerns me the most is the aftermarket and even OEM quality parts are becoming more scarce. A lot of really good aftermarket parts have been discontinued and now are near impossible to find. I'm on RSX #2 now, I bought an 03 typeS in '06 and modded the crap out of it. It was totaled in the Rocky Mountains by a mule deer in '12. It only took me a couple years to miss the shit out of it so I got another 04 typeS with ~70k but I babied this one. I'm just cracking 100k now and ready to start modding again and slowly figuring out its a different market now. I feel like its just going to get worse.

I'm kicking myself for not banking up parts this whole time. Despite the enjoyment and ease of driving these cars stock, there is always just a little something to be desired!
This is true. You cannot even buy an aftermarket battery tie-down for the RSX anymore. You can buy a billet battery tie-down for pretty much ANY vehicle...but not for the RSX anymore. It's crazy. Can't get the Invidia header anymore either.

·
Registered
60 Posts
this is a crazy and accurate thread. I need a drivers side floor mat in titanium (grey) color. they are impossible to find. I did a search for RSX cars on row52.com which most of the picknpull etc places around here use (DFW area) and there are no RSX cars anywhere within 100 miles on that site. I have found 2 on the local CL. I have an 04 base leather car and swapped the seats for cloth ones (I still have the leather seats). i purchased it from the original owners and have all the paper work and the window sticker. im starting to think i should put it in the garage and use my 05' mustang GT as a daily lol... that's not going to fucking happen. I do enjoy driving my RSX as it is with 202K miles, still runs like a top.

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
11 Posts
I just bought my first RSX Type S back in Feb. It's an 06 in VBP with the A Spec wing, it was my dream car back in highschool. I have a 95 Delsol VTEC that has been my baby for the past 16 years. I feel like I've missed out on so much with this car and this forum here. I'm just glad to have the car and that this place is still around and active.

It's an 06 in Vivid Blue Pearl with the A Spec wing 116k miles. Florida and Georgia car it's entire life, clean title, stock, interior is 9/10(worn shift boot and steering wheel, seats are a 9/10). I had no problem paying $12k when I saw the sale ad. I think the orange and blue were the "halo" colors for the RSX so they bring a higher asking price.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Yea man this is the sad truth. Luckily I've been taking my time slowly building my 5 speed base DC5 for the past 10 years and I've always had the minset of buying OEM or rare quality JDM parts and now i have some things that are actually pretty rare and valuable. Not that I'm in the market to sell, but I've gone the route of Mugen, OEM Type R, Spoon, etc. and I'm glad i did. I love this car to death and can't imagine parting ways with it. I want to have this, a prelude, and maybe an FK8 in the garage together one day.. time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I’ll sell you my 06 type s I live in Ohio and I only want to sell it bc I want a Datsun the only mod is bc racing coilovers

·
ECU Tuner
4,285 Posts
So I guess I should hang on to my 04' Comptech Type-S with 27,000 miles on it. :)

·
ECU Tuner
4,285 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
11 Posts
2004 modded with a super charger. That is too old and probably unreliable to justify hanging onto. I would trade that in on something new and comfortable like a Chevy or Buick.😂

·
Registered
135 Posts
had 06 base auto sold it 6yrs ago now i bought 05 black aspec auto 2month ago for commute to work sold my Is300. Prob will pick up a Manual brz in 2-3yrs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is currently at a body shop, waiting for a paint job, keeping it OEM NHBP. I had it completely rebuilt last year, along with the transmission. I had the 6th gear swapped out for a TSX 6th, which dropped my RPMS in 6th and increased my MPG, also added an OEM LSD from an k20z3 transmission and lightened flywheel. It's around 178k right now. No leaks of any sort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is currently at a body shop, waiting for a paint job, keeping it OEM NHBP. I had it completely rebuilt last year, along with the transmission. I had the 6th gear swapped out for a TSX 6th, which dropped my RPMS in 6th and increased my MPG, also added an OEM LSD from an k20z3 transmission and lightened flywheel. It's around 178k right now. No leaks of any sort.
MPG of TSX 6th?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven’t calculated the exact mpg but for reference I was getting prior to the rebuild 250ish miles out of a full tank. Now, I’m averaging 300 or more after the rebuild. So that’s probably and extra 2 gallons of gas I’ve gained at least. My daily commute is on the freeway so that’s been helping my mpg.

·
Registered
213 Posts
DC2s and 90s Hondas have been going up in price, its only a matter of time when the 2000s Hondas like the Prelude and RSXs will start to go up. I am in the RSX Nation Facebook group and I will go out of my way to prevent some new idiot to put some stupid mod on their RSX. Every other post is "Whats the best catback or coilover" and I have to watch these people drive these cars to the ground.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts