Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone starts flaming I've did my search and only one post mentioned very little info about this..

MameXP claims that hoodpins are REQUIRED in order to pass safety.. and then someone else disagrees right away... and since the law differs from one location to another... does anyone know about what happens in Toronto specifically?

I'm not looking to get the hoodpins that stick out, IF REQUIRED I will get Aerocatch hatches which doesn't stick out and it blends up pretty good with the CF hood from its black color... but if I had to choose I'd prefer not to get it (unless the law requires me to)

my friend is pretty sure CF hoods aren't illegal but he said something about the hoodpins are but I'd need to get it anyway if I don't want the hood to smash my windshield

oh and I travel alot on highway... : /

*pls do not move this to STYLE section because I think this topic is very dependent on location and hopefully this will answer anyone that counters the same problem in the future

·
KOUKI DC5
6,700 Posts
Honestly it all depends on who does your safety really for you to pass with the carbon hood, if they mechanic is anal you will simply not even pass even if you had hood pins on your hood .. but most could care less. as for hood pins on your CF hood.. honestly its a peace of mind of extra measure that you know your hood wont come flying up smacking your windshield at any speed. Which ive seen myself happen before to a friend of mind with a s13. which is the only reason why i rock hood pins on a CF hood (now areocatch) which ive been using for about 2 years now.

Another reason why i got hood pins in the first place is that CF hood latches are simply a weak point within the CF hood and its just a matter of time before it fully cracks and breaks off. prime example would be reframe's hood which he never simply listens to me simply because he has faith with seibon is that his is slowly cracking and shows sign of stress around his hood latch area, and its just a matter of time before it cracks and flies into his windshield..

what boils down to is safety comes first. its better to be safe then sorry.

·
All show > Impounded Car
15,458 Posts
Honestly it all depends on who does your safety really for you to pass with the carbon hood, if they mechanic is anal you will simply not even pass even if you had hood pins on your hood .. but most could care less. as for hood pins on your CF hood.. honestly its a peace of mind of extra measure that you know your hood wont come flying up smacking your windshield at any speed. Which ive seen myself happen before to a friend of mind with a s13. which is the only reason why i rock hood pins on a CF hood (now areocatch) which ive been using for about 2 years now.

Another reason why i got hood pins in the first place is that CF hood latches are simply a weak point within the CF hood and its just a matter of time before it fully cracks and breaks off. prime example would be reframe's hood which he never simply listens to me simply because he has faith with seibon is that his is slowly cracking and shows sign of stress around his hood latch area, and its just a matter of time before it cracks and flies into his windshield..

:pray:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

:popcorn:

where did you get your aerocatch my friend showed me what it was and I like it alot but since USD > CAD by alot I want to see if there are any local vendors that sells this (preferrably can install it for me also)

·
Ings+1
4,262 Posts
JRP -> 100 w/ lock 90 (i think) w/o lock
speedtech -> 120 w/ lock

i know because im looking for some too

·
part-time baller
1,810 Posts
if you get it you gona DIY it? I want mine REALLY SOON.. Im scared whenever I'm on highway now.. :noes:
dude it will come flying off its a matter of time....

just becareful going over bumps at the highway, it will put stress on the latch

·
My RICE goes PSHHHH
66,285 Posts
:popcorn:

where did you get your aerocatch my friend showed me what it was and I like it alot but since USD > CAD by alot I want to see if there are any local vendors that sells this (preferrably can install it for me also)
Oh good god :face: Holly run on sentence...

if you get it you gona DIY it? I want mine REALLY SOON.. Im scared whenever I'm on highway now.. :noes:
Have fun cutting :laughing: Do you have a dremel tool?

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,868 Posts
Damn... I never heard of hoodpins being illegal or not having being illegal. I would think that anything that stopped your hood from flying open (within reason...) would be ok.:dontknow:

·
My RICE goes PSHHHH
66,285 Posts
I made up my mind I'm going to speedtech tomorrow to get my aerocatch. I hope getting someone to install this for me won't be too $$$$
I hope they have a steady hand :thumbsup:

Labour could run ya approx. $70

·
KOUKI DC5
6,700 Posts

if not more...

remember its not as simple as the sparco hood pins, and even those you have to be ballsy. heck i think i was really ballsy to install mine in the middle of the night a few hours before heading out to HIN lol

·
My RICE goes PSHHHH
66,285 Posts

if not more...

remember its not as simple as the sparco hood pins, and even those you have to be ballsy. heck i think i was really ballsy to install mine in the middle of the night a few hours before heading out to HIN lol
I was being polite...didn't want to scare the guy.

But yeah be prepared to possible spend $100 in labour to install them.

But better then having your hood fly up and crash through your windshield or someone elses and causing a horrific accident! :noes:

·
Ings+1
4,262 Posts
I made up my mind I'm going to speedtech tomorrow to get my aerocatch. I hope getting someone to install this for me won't be too $$$$
they dont have them in stock, they have to order them

DIY :thumbsup:

oh teknotik has them for 100 too... speedtech is a rip

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
they dont have them in stock, they have to order them

DIY :thumbsup:

oh teknotik has them for 100 too... speedtech is a rip
not in stock?? :noes: I'm gona have to zip tie it for now then :D I assume it is better than not doing anything because I will be travelling to DT there and back tonight and then to Hamilton on tuesday.

and last trip from Hamilton to Markham I was already mad worried.. really hope to get that aerocatch and install it asap..

we should go to Teknotik together bbtea

·
Ings+1
4,262 Posts
^ i got my friend to order me a set should arrive wed =], i know teknotik has some in stock and jrp has them in stock too but call ahead to make sure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts