Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone. I have a question on a build I wonna do but don't know if it's worth it. I have an 03 type s manual trans with some upgrades. I'm on a budget like many others and don't have the money for K24 bottom, the experience or the tools to take out motor, or the money to pay someone. I was wondering if it be worth turboing a stock internal k20 in an rsx. The engine is basically ready to be turboed with the right parts to support. I wonna port match my RBC to 70mm to 70mm throttle body and get bigger injecters. I'm NOT looking for a super track car and I KNOW it won't be. Just somethin to spank mostly everything on the road and have fun in. Of course I'm not tryna turn boost up high as well. Also along with the parts on the engine, the engine is solid n no leaks at all.

Mods I have to support build
-RBC Mani
-255 fuel pump
-Steel braided fuel lines
-fuel rail and fuel regulator
-Battery in trunk so plenty of room for turdo
-Hondata
-AC line relocated to left of engine
-LSD and stage 2 clutch

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you don't have the money or resources for a k24 bottom end, why would you have the money or resources to slap a turbo on there?

If it's worth it to you, do it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's def not true. Read posts on here, a dude did an ebay set up with Garret internals on the turbo and he's had no problems. It's more so I guess I could install a turbo kit easier then pulling the engine and taking it apart. It's in the car perfectly and perfectly sealed, I don't feel like messing that up. Also as I said, I don't have the equipment to pull the engine where as I do to install a turbo kit.

You didn't answer my question. I'll reword it for you, with the modifications that I have and port matching my RBC to a bigger throttle body along with getting bigger injectors, will it be worth it to take the next step and go forced induction on a stock internal K20 with no K24 bottom. I don't see many people do what I'm doin, they go k24 bottom and then maybe forced induction or just stay all motor.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything from ebay simply for the fact that I don't know what I'd be buying. Just because you saw someone with ebay parts doing fine, doesn't mean your case will be the same.

I did answer your question. What I'm telling you is "worth" is a matter of opinion. People told me "don't throw parts on base, it's not worth it" but it was well worth it to me. I have read posts on here, and the people I see running forced induction on frank motors do it because of the lower compression ratio, the cost is dirt cheap, and there's the potential for more power. These people typically build the motor anyways, because they're seeking as much power as they can get.

·
GTX35R
30,385 Posts
That's def not true. Read posts on here, a dude did an ebay set up with Garret internals on the turbo and he's had no problems. It's more so I guess I could install a turbo kit easier then pulling the engine and taking it apart. It's in the car perfectly and perfectly sealed, I don't feel like messing that up. Also as I said, I don't have the equipment to pull the engine where as I do to install a turbo kit.

You didn't answer my question. I'll reword it for you, with the modifications that I have and port matching my RBC to a bigger throttle body along with getting bigger injectors, will it be worth it to take the next step and go forced induction on a stock internal K20 with no K24 bottom. I don't see many people do what I'm doin, they go k24 bottom and then maybe forced induction or just stay all motor.
I'm going to give you an answer that may or may not help at all. The answer is yes and no and here is why.

I ran a log manifold turbo on my stock internals for years. It was a lot of fun and at beat most everything i ran against. I never took it to the track just had fun daily driving it around town. The build was cheap and it didn't take much time to do. One word of advice don't buy ebay shit. Saying you have seen someone run ebay and it didn't fuck them up completely is like saying i saw someone win the lottery so i'll win it. I worked for ClubRsx for a while and I can tell you i've personally known a lot of people that fucked their shit up using ebay crap. Talk to Brian at kseriesparts.com he can help you get a cheap log style build.

Now on to the no part. The answer is no simply because shit WILL break. I don't care if you run 1 pound of boost eventually you will break something. Most likely the tranny. The 2nd gear synchro is shit. The internals will take more of a beating using boost. If you don't get your stuff properly tuned (i mean dyno not street tuned) then you will wear your internals faster. So keep that in mind. Eventually you will have to tear the motor a part and rebuild it. It's just a fact of life.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What's up everyone. I have a question on a build I wonna do but don't know if it's worth it. I have an 03 type s manual trans with some upgrades. I'm on a budget like many others and don't have the money for K24 bottom, the experience or the tools to take out motor, or the money to pay someone. I was wondering if it be worth turboing a stock internal k20 in an rsx. The engine is basically ready to be turboed with the right parts to support. I wonna port match my RBC to 70mm to 70mm throttle body and get bigger injecters. I'm NOT looking for a super track car and I KNOW it won't be. Just somethin to spank mostly everything on the road and have fun in. Of course I'm not tryna turn boost up high as well. Also along with the parts on the engine, the engine is solid n no leaks at all.

-RBC Mani
-255 fuel pump
-Hondata
-LSD and stage 2 clutch

My last 03 was boosted for 185k miles. It was my daily. I pieced together a kit for literally like 2000 bucks. All i had was the soft mounts, hondata, a small 57 trim turbo a buddy sold to me, then i bought an intercooler kit with random bends and stuff off ebay made it all work, welded the piping together made it 3 pieces, then had a stage 1 clutch and 7lb flywheel. Car made 307 on 12psi daily for 3 years. Not 1 problem at all.

I now am in the process of building an 05 type s. And I’m gonna do the same thing as the last. Except this one I’m running a 6262 and a side mount manifold. The last manifold was a rear mount so it was a pain in the ass to work around.

I’ve already looked around ebay for everything and so far the whole kit is about 2500 with the precision turbo and sidemount. But I’m a fabricator and can get any material so I’ll be making a hood cut out for the dump tube and down pipe. Right now the car is about to be painted so once it’s driveable and put back together I’m starting the turbo build.

My 03 was on stock fuel system. Stock pump, stock everything except injectors. I had 440cc dsm injectors. That’s it. I would def boost it. My new rsx will not be NA long. I have to have boost lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
P.s a stock internal k that’s healthy can support up to 650hp if tuned right and not beat the shit out of every day. The 05 I’m shooting for 500 on the race map with E85 and 400 on pump for daily driving. I’ve already got all the supporting shit except I’m gonna run a 355 in line pump and i need the lines and FPR then it’s ready for boost. I have 85a mounts and other supporting mods for the power. It’s just a waiting and crossing fingers game lol but K’s are the strongest motors Honda ever built. They can handle a lot of shit. But the 6spd trannys are shit. If you have any grinds before boost rebuild the tranny with stronger gears and new shift cables. With more power on the top end the car will be hell to shift

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would say just throw in a super charger. The intake manifold right up front, so it ir is much less of a pain to install. Additionally you dont have to worry about having a shitty intercooler location if you were planning on installing 1. Plus i head super chargers r more reliable. I am planning to through one in my 06 type s, one i get the mileage up.

·
WILDCARD!
1,146 Posts
I would say just throw in a super charger. The intake manifold right up front, so it ir is much less of a pain to install. Additionally you dont have to worry about having a shitty intercooler location if you were planning on installing 1. Plus i head super chargers r more reliable. I am planning to through one in my 06 type s, one i get the mileage up.
Wow, one post and you have no actual experience in doing what you're recommending? Sounds very credible.

·
Registered
679 Posts
As someone said, stock internals on the K20 are fine. My car has been boosted for 15 years. First with a JRSC, then Greddy Kit, Now garret gt30 with Sidewinder. Still on stock internal and stock trans. I do have a little less than 100K miles though as this was never my daily. But I got over 300 HP on the greddy and now I am at 439HP on the Garret.
Never had any problems..

Also stay away from Ebay. Every part and Kit I ever bought was from a reputable company.
GL

·
Registered
62 Posts

-RBC Mani
-255 fuel pump
-Hondata
-LSD and stage 2 clutch
Boost is always worth it IMO. I’m doing a 600+ hp build on a 100% bone stock k20z1 with the type s tranny. Only thing I’m doing motor wise is valve springs and retainers then in the tranny till the tranny blows. Gonna see how long my stage 4 clutch lasts also till i buy a hypersingle. I’d buy ebay shit to be hones. They make hella power consistently. Just don’t run the WG or BOV and you’ll be straight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts