Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base rsx and I went to an exhaust shop today to get an estimate, the one dude at the shop said I was a ricer if I get this exhaust installed, and that it would sound like a fart cannon. I bought the 5 inch muffler tip and I don't know im starting to doubt getting it installed.. He also said the 5 inch tip is going to make it so loud and that I will be pulled over by the cops with in a few days. Wtf

·
Premium Member
430,557 Posts
i say it's your car, do what you want to it friend. in the end it is you that is going to drive it and deal with any problems if any down the road. he can think whatever he wants....

anyway i dont have that exhaust or heard it enough time to know what sup, but if you like the look and sound of it, thats all that matters

·
Premium Member
430,557 Posts
so you're just getting the tip put on or the whole exhaust system, seem like theres two different things in your post

·
NA Today
1,501 Posts
The tip itself has nothing to do with noise as far as I know, the size of the outlet of the muffler does. If the muffler outlet is 2.25 inches and then the tip is 5 inches it shouldn't be any louder than any other 2.25 inch diameter exhaust. I looked at some pictures of it online but it's hard to tell if the outlet is bigger than 2.25 inches, I don't think it is though cause that would be weird.

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
Is your current exhaust broken? Or are you just trying to get something different?

There's a bunch of YouTube videos that demonstrate the sound of different exhausts on the RSX.

To me... whenever I see one of those huge exhausts on an import; I prepare for the nasty, raspy sound that usually follows. But I tried a bunch of different one's on my Del Sol a few years back. I just did axle-backs. The Greddy was awesome. Magnaflow had really poor fitment and sounded loud and boomy. And the eBay one's were junk.

The base is a different beast for aftermarket exhausts. If you're looking for more pow-ah; there's more to it than just a new exhaust. Lots of folks like the type s exhaust.

·
Premium Member
430,557 Posts
yea the type s has more options to play with than the base, which you can use as well but would need a type s header to match it up too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was first going with a type s invidia but then i realised id spend just as much money on installation as i did with the actual exhaust itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if it's just a muffler it will sound kinda ricey. save up for a cat back exhaust and you'll be a lot happier with the sound and performance. at the end of the day its your car and your money

·
NA Today
1,501 Posts
I agree with J-dog204 about getting a catback. Expensive but you will be more than happy with the sound and performance.
Yeah definitely, I assumed OP was already getting a full catback and was just worried about the muffler part of it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I did get the cat back system, I just was wandering about the muffler tip that came with the full car back

·
147,303 Posts
From the kit I just looked up on their website, you don't really have a choice as it's the entire canister otherwise you'd be running w/o the axle-back.

Screw that shop, put it on yourself and save the money & comments.
Did the Invidia system on my S in the driveway, just need a couple tools & jacks and you're all good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From the kit I just looked up on their website, you don't really have a choice as it's the entire canister otherwise you'd be running w/o the axle-back.

Screw that shop, put it on yourself and save the money & comments.
Did the Invidia system on my S in the driveway, just need a couple tools & jacks and you're all good to go.
Thats what i started with doing but the bolts were so rusted that i couldn't eve put a wrench around them. but i think i will just disconnect the cat and remove it from underneath the car so i can break off the bolts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got the Magnaflow system as well as a DC Sports race header.
Sound isn't raspy at all, but this is probably taken away by the deep tone of the race header.

Also, this tip fills in the Mugen rear lip really well, compared to some smaller exhausts on the market. (Will be painting/fitting mine shortly.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts