Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched, but couldn't find the answer..

I'd like to know if the stock '04 RSX TypeS psuedo wideband 02 sensor is suitable for tuning a supercharged engine running E85? It was recommended to use the stock sensor since it is wideband and the ECU is a PRB K-series one, so...sort of plug and play.

The ECU is a Doctronic, basically same as KPro.

I ask because I've read that AFR's for E85 should be down in the 9.5 range, and perhaps even a little richer if supercharged.

I've also read that the stock 02 sensor for the 04 RSX, while called wideband, only reads down to about 11.7.

Yet, I was told that it should be suitable.

What do you experienced guys think?

·
Always on TDY...
2,164 Posts

I'd like to know if the stock '04 RSX TypeS psuedo wideband 02 sensor is suitable for tuning a supercharged engine running E85? It was recommended to use the stock sensor since it is wideband and the ECU is a PRB K-series one, so...sort of plug and play.

I ask because I've read that AFR's for E85 should be down in the 9.5 range, and perhaps even a little richer if supercharged.

I've also read that the stock 02 sensor for the 04 RSX, while called wideband, only reads down to about 11.7.

For the stock O2, you can use it for tuning; however, an aftermarket wideband is preferred as the stock O2 can't read below 11 if I remember. So, I'm tuned to 11.5 for WOT and my stock O2 sensor was fine.

If you are running richer, you need an aftermarket wideband... I don't recall anyone recommending to run at 9.5... I think that is too rich. If you have e85, that allows you to advance timing quite a bit.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
518 Posts

I have a O2 RSX-S that is set up with an aftercooled supercharger pushing 10.7 psi. I run primarily E85 fuel. Engine is controlled by Hondata Kpro 4, with a AEM digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge, air/fuel ratio controller, & sensor (part #30-4110) wired directly to the ECU as the primary O2 sensor. The tuners that I have experience with would not even touch my car unless I had a more accurate reading O2 sensor.

·
NA Today
1,505 Posts
For the stock O2, you can use it for tuning; however, an aftermarket wideband is preferred as the stock O2 can't read below 11 if I remember. So, I'm tuned to 11.5 for WOT and my stock O2 sensor was fine.

If you are running richer, you need an aftermarket wideband... I don't recall anyone recommending to run at 9.5... I think that is too rich. If you have e85, that allows you to advance timing quite a bit.
I've been reading that most O2 sensors are calibrated to operate based on lambda and then, assuming lambda of 1.0 = 14.7:1 AFR (gasoline engines), giving a display of this calculated "AFR"

So even though e85 stoich AFR is actually 9.8:1, when running at this AFR with e85 the O2 sensor will display an AFR of 14.7:1 because it's reading a lambda of 1.0 and calculating the AFR as if the fuel were gasoline.

https://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php?/topic/1001-stioch-and-wot-e85-afrs/

I'm wondering if this is how our O2 sensors work though...

·
Always on TDY...
2,164 Posts

I've been reading that most O2 sensors are calibrated to operate based on lambda and then, assuming lambda of 1.0 = 14.7:1 AFR (gasoline engines), giving a display of this calculated "AFR"

So even though e85 stoich AFR is actually 9.8:1, when running at this AFR with e85 the O2 sensor will display an AFR of 14.7:1 because it's reading a lambda of 1.0 and calculating the AFR as if the fuel were gasoline.

https://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php?/topic/1001-stioch-and-wot-e85-afrs/

I'm wondering if this is how our O2 sensors work though...
I'm actually not running E85, just regular premium 93 gasoline. I thought you can set those values in kpro settings if you are running E85 and adjust the lambda values accordingly.

I do have methanol injection to assist with intake temps. The boost in octane while spraying does allow me to advance timing a bit (gradually) using the nitrous tabs. With it, I advance timing about 6* and cut -1200 of fuel at redline to keep AFR at 11.5 during WOT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts