Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 RSX base 5-speed. For a while now it has been slow cranking. It would struggle to crank sometimes (take a few attempts) but most times it would be slow, but crank up on the first try. Well I didn't drive it for about 4 days and now it won't start. It will either turn over once slowly and not start or I'll just get a click. My battery is tested good. This seems like the starter to me and if it is I'm considering replacing it myself. (I'm reasonably handy) but I'd like to be at or near 100% sure it's a bad starter before I buy a replacement and attempt the job.

I'd really appreciate input from any of you experts out there. I can provide a video of what it's doing if that would help. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
^what he said
There's a ground beneath your fuse box (inside the engine bay), another on your passenger side mount, and I believe the third was sitting on a bracket coming off the trans (I have an auto, yours may be somewhere else). You don't clean the wire itself, but clean the points they're attached to. They're ordinary braided ground straps, can't miss them.

I had the same symptoms as you, and it ended up being my starter as well as a bad battery. It's really easy to replace, just had to remove the intake manifold to reach it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man. If the issue were those ground points, would it cause issues with other electronics? I meant to mention that lights and stereo are working normally.

·
Premium Member
2,536 Posts
I had a loose ground on the tranny, it would cause the car to randomly not start at all. Tightened the screw, fixed.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks man. If the issue were those ground points, would it cause issues with other electronics? I meant to mention that lights and stereo are working normally.
Theoretically yes, but I personally haven't encountered a situation like that so I can't confirm unfortunately. Another thing you can check is your battery terminals. Loose wires on the battery can also cause intermittent starting problems.

·
2002 EBP RSX 5m w/Leather
293 Posts
FYI: If you replace the starter yourself, I recommend getting a reman one from Honda. I got one from local auto parts store and it did not work, waste of time installing and having to replace it. Auto parts store didn't want to take it back because it tested good on their bench.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Lights and stereo draw much less current than a starter. A poor ground may be good enough for lights and stereo but not be able to pass enough current to allow the starter to spin up as high as it should.

·
Registered
43 Posts
From my experience you will usually hear a noise when you try and start the car especially in colder weather, it's like a grinding sound this is a sign your starter is going bad and will need to be replaced soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts