Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

is there way i could make my car drive better

Tags
car drive make
2K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  Stitch 
#1 ·
my car been shitty as hell when i got pass pum:firemad: or anything on the road.... i want to know is there any way i could to improve my ride on the rough road like.. i got 06 type s

#9 ·
u cant speak english either.....but the only way ur gonna get a smoother ride on an rsx is to get an air ride suspension

#16 ·
Since you don't know much about cars - lets break this down a little for you. RSX-S is a SPORT model. It has a much tighter suspension. Your average car will go into a turn at a fast speed and you will feel the car tilt to the outside of the turn. This puts less pressure on the inside tires, reducing your traction, making you spin out. A firmer suspension will prevent the car from rolling like this on turns. This also means that you will feel every pebble/bump/hole in the road while you are driving because the suspension gives much much less.

In even more basic terms. A Cadillac will drive very very smooth, but you will fly into a tree while taking a 15mph turn doing 60mph. The RSX-S can.

#18 ·
Since you don't know much about cars - lets break this down a little for you. RSX-S is a SPORT model. It has a much tighter suspension. Your average car will go into a turn at a fast speed and you will feel the car tilt to the outside of the turn. This puts less pressure on the inside tires, reducing your traction, making you spin out. A firmer suspension will prevent the car from rolling like this on turns. This also means that you will feel every pebble/bump/hole in the road while you are driving because the suspension gives much much less.

thank for break down make more sense now ....

#19 · (Edited)
I don't want to take over RSX06's thread but since I am too new to start a thread anyway, I have the same problem....

I have an 03 base for 10 months with 16 inch wheels. Car only has 23,000K miles on it so it can't need shocks (although I had the dealer check it anyway) It's not too bad but the ride could be MUCH smoother. It's not the sports suspension that bothers me (sporty cars are all I have owned) it's the "bounciness" of the suspension.....Hit a bump and the car continues to bounce after the impact.

I hate luxury cars with floaty suspensions where you can't feel anything, that's not my problem. The jolt of the suspension doesn't bother me, it's the bounciness afterward, like my shocks are bad, but they're not. Did they just use poor quality shocks in these that are incapable of dampening the spring oscillations? Could it be because of the ride height?

I say this as my daily driver before the RSX was a 90 Integra (which I still have) and it rides MUCH smoother than my RSX. I drive them back to back and compare. The front shocks and springs were replaced in 2001 with run of the mill Monroes and the rear suspension is original. This is a 17 year old car! So I hope you see that I am not comparing it to a cadillac or anything.....

The ride height is a good bit higher in the RSX and I was wanting to get some feedback if that could be what I am feeling. The Integra sits so low, even at stock height, that there isn't much travel if you hit some rough pavement (if that makes sense) That could be part of the bouncy feeling I am getting.

It's really my only complaint about the car, other than dash rattles in the winter. I wish I could have cloned my Integra frankly :) but since that's not happening I just want to know how I can get it as close to that as I can. Some friends have suggested a tire with more padding, like a Goodyear Assurance. I don't know....

#23 ·
few things to make your ride smoother:

- tires that are wider and have a bigger sidewall
- lower tire pressure (worse gas milage, but hardly noticable)
- stock suspension
- tires that have been reviews as being VERY VERY quiet.
- tires with SOFT sidewalls

or... just sell the rsx and get a cadillac as someone said up there.

but if you do that, dont throw some D's on it. as that will be defeating YOUR purpose.

#28 ·
If by "driver better" you mean you want a smoother ride, my suggestion is to get some Touring tires (www.tirerack.com). I had them on my Type-S when I first bought it and they made it extremely cushiony. The thing is, I want a little stiffer feeling ride, so I pulled the wheels off of my base and got them mounted on my Type-S. (They are both 02's) The new tires on my Type-S that I transferred are more for performance than cruising around. They are a little louder and you can feel their stiffness. So if you want a smoother ride, since the RSX is already not much of a "luxury" ride, more of a "sports" ride, I'd say look into getting softer tires.

Now, if you want it to "drive better" in the sense of handling, that's different. If you think it doesn't handle well, the RSX was one of the best handling FWD cars in the US in its day. I'd suggest getting some better tires here first, that's always the first "handling" upgrade. You need something that can grip under lots of stress. After you upgrade your tires to getting better grip (High Performance or Ultra Performance) then you should go to a stiffer suspension. You can't spend 200 dollars on your suspension and expect to have a significantly better handling ride. It does cost money. But getting better springs and shocks is a typical first step toward making the car handle better. After that, I'd say check out the ClubRSX Suspension section and read what some people have to say about what else they've done.

I hope that helped. Good luck.

#29 ·
Yeah I think it's alot in the tires. I felt a noticeable drop in comfort (which I personally like - I like stiffness) when I upgraded from 16's with 55 series tires to 17's with 40's.
As for someone mentioning bounciness, well bounciness is softness, no? My dad's Lexus truck has 16 inch wheels with ENORMOUS sidewalls and it just mushes around corners.

But truth be told, your accord, no matter how old it is, probably is a smoother car. The Accord is designed to be a family sedan, not a sports coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.