Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is turbo worth it for an SS? What do you think guys? Ducky, feel free to give all your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You would need to have the transmission reinforced, which costs a lot more.

It's really not worth it, in my opinion. It will just run you into troubles down the road and kill reliability unless you put a LOT of money into it. And even with a turbo you only have a fighting chance against a Type S in the 1320.

·
Beantown is comin Cali
1,939 Posts
with an automatic you can preload the brake getting the turbo to spool up and so when u launch the turbo is goin

·
Registered
336 Posts
its been done already. not sure about reliablility but i think u'd def take on a modded type s considering he isnt' turbo'd. i think the company that does it is cybernation. they had an EBP rsx putting down something like 350whp. It was featured in Turbo magazine a few months back. go to gr8ride.com and go through some back issues of turbo magazine and you'll find the article or you could just do a google search. but its true, u would have to reinforce the tranny, bullet proof it or something to that effect. there is a company in jersey called level 10 (i'm pretty sure thats the name) that specializes in strengthening u're tranny for such applications as turbo's and superchargers. i'm thinking bout doing the same thing, good luck.

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
If you're that concerned with performance...get a manual...an auto will never give the performance of a similarly equipped manual.

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
ntwillie1 said:
its been done already. not sure about reliablility but i think u'd def take on a modded type s considering he isnt' turbo'd. i think the company that does it is cybernation. they had an EBP rsx putting down something like 350whp. It was featured in Turbo magazine a few months back. go to gr8ride.com and go through some back issues of turbo magazine and you'll find the article or you could just do a google search. but its true, u would have to reinforce the tranny, bullet proof it or something to that effect. there is a company in jersey called level 10 (i'm pretty sure thats the name) that specializes in strengthening u're tranny for such applications as turbo's and superchargers. i'm thinking bout doing the same thing, good luck.
that rsx might of been on nitrous too i believe...i could be wrong though. i know ive seen one turboed black auto that was also equipped with nitrous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
j0hnniz said:
Is turbo worth it for an SS? What do you think guys? Ducky, feel free to give all your thoughts.
In my research I'm finding the turbo isn;t worth it after spending $$$ to mod your tranny.

Cybernation is poop. They're about 10 miles from me and just about the rudest fucks I've come across.

OTHER shops told me about the tranny mod requirement.

they just wanted my $5k for a stage 1 so I could run high 14S

No Thnx~

I do however get tired of being told, just leave it alone- if you want real power get a WRX or the Evo. Screw them, my lil' RSX is PIMP

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with Zach12985.

And to th3professional, i agree that i wouldn't spend that much money to just run high 14's. I would spend it just to have it and be different tho. I don't want to have a car like everyone else. Besides, how many auto's u know have a turbo?

On the other hand, i don't think insurance company even covers all that stuff if you (god forbid) got into an accident and it was damaged. So you gotta worry about that kinda stuff too. When my civic was stolen, i lost well over 12K in mods plus the cost of the car, and i didn't even have a turbo in it yet. the only thing they payed me for that was an external mod was an adjusted value for my Volks. They weren't even a year old, had only been on the car on and off for about 5 months total, and they gave me $300. That barely covered the cost of two tires but oh well, i'll roll my dice again. if i do decide to go forced induction some day, i'll be sure to let you guys know about it.

also, its upsetting to me to hear that cybernation is full of dicks. i had heard a bad remark about them once or twice before but if its become the common opinion then i don't think i'll want to end up doing business with them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The auto-rsx with Cybernation turbo made something like 310-320whp with the turbo and a small shot of nitrous. As others have said, you'll have to upgrade the torque converter to handle the extra power.

Personally, I don't think turbo'ing any RSX is really worth it unless you have tons of money to spare. Too much of a hassle, questionable reliability, and no resale value (unless you part it out). And regardless of how much whp you make, you still have to put it to the ground using the fwd platform.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I keep tearing myself between modding out my RSX or buying a better car in several years. Or even just a new engine for my RSX in 5 or so years (depending on how nice the body stays).

I should really stop visiting these forums, they just make me want to spend all of my money :p

·
Registered
925 Posts
If u want speed, get a manual. I got an auto too, i just want the simple things, I/H/E, and hondata. nothin crazy, u would need a sponsor if u wanna go all out race, but who would want to sponsor an auto? I like rsx because of the looks not because it's fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts