Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 RSX Base, manual

So the other day I pulled up to whataburger, got out the car to go inside, realized i left my wallet at home so I got right back in. Went to start it and no luck.

This has never happened before, and in my experience/opinion there were no issues or warnings leading up to this. The car would crank well every time before that day. Maybe on a cold day/morning start it would take an extra second or two of cranking but that was it! No other issues. The dash lights and AC/radio came on but there were no sounds AT ALL when cranking. No click, no crank, just key turn and beep from the interior.

Got the car towed home, checked it in the morning and same deal. No click, just lights and AC. Went ahead and talked to the mechanic about it and I was told the starter is where I should start. Got it all changed it out. Went to crank it after the replacement and NOTHING!

I recalled a small washer that came on the new (aka refurbished) starter that was a little bent out of shape. Figured it was no big deal so I screwed the nut on over it and that was that. Today I went in and removed that washer thinking maybe it wasnt meant to be there? Maybe it was intentionally bent or something I DONT KNOW. All I could think to do was remove it and hopefully that was it but to no avail.

Two tries two fails. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Get a new mechanic. You don't start troubleshooting by buying a new part until you are sure. Couple of earlier things would be to check your battery voltage, fuses. We'll say that your starter is good for now. You also have a little button on the back of the upper clutch pedal that breaks and it tells the car not to start. When there it pushes on the switch at the top. Look on your floomat as it may be there. You can use lots of things to put in the hole and doorman sells it as well for a few bucks if that's the case.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Get a new mechanic. You don't start troubleshooting by buying a new part until you are sure. Couple of earlier things would be to check your battery voltage, fuses. We'll say that your starter is good for now. You also have a little button on the back of the upper clutch pedal that breaks and it tells the car not to start. When there it pushes on the switch at the top. Look on your floomat as it may be there. You can use lots of things to put in the hole and doorman sells it as well for a few bucks if that's the case.
THIS x 1million!
Literally had the same thing happen last month. Ended up popping the clutch to get home and later found this link and went out to car and found the little pedal stop thing laying on floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH-RzaeGB0c

This video isn't on an rsx but it's the same general fix

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THIS x 1million!
Literally had the same thing happen last month. Ended up popping the clutch to get home and later found this link and went out to car and found the little pedal stop thing laying on floor.

Alright so this makes total sense because around the start of this month the one for the break pedal gave out. Just went to check it out and confirmed it did in fact break. I put a new one in, went to crank and no go. So my next question is do I have to do that jump start part with a metal pin and the connector? I'm hoping that's 100% mandatory cause if not it probably means I fucked up somewhere along the installation of the new starter.

Thanks for the input by the way so glad to be getting somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THIS x 1million!

Alright so this makes total sense because around the start of this month the one for the break pedal gave out. Just went to check it out and confirmed it did in fact break. I put a new one in, went to crank and no go. So my next question is do I have to do that jump start part with a metal pin and the connector? I'm hoping that's 100% mandatory cause if not it probably means I fucked up somewhere along the installation of the new starter.

Thanks for the input by the way so glad to be getting somewhere.
Update: I tried the bypass method from the video with a paper clip and the car started. However when I plug it back into the switch, it doesn't crank. Am I meant to leave the paper clip on there forever? Sorry I'm such a noob lol

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You can leave it in, but there is a button that goes into the top of the clutch arm that when you push the clutch in closes the circuit and act just like your paper clip. The problem of the paper clip is that the car will start without the clutch depressed, so if you turn the key, the car will lurch foreward.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can leave it in, but there is a button that goes into the top of the clutch arm that when you push the clutch in closes the circuit and act just like your paper clip. The problem of the paper clip is that the car will start without the clutch depressed, so if you turn the key, the car will lurch foreward.
Ok good deal. So is there any way to get it back to normal where I can plug it into the switch and have it work?

Also just for shits and giggles for yall:

I took off the hood latch T frame thing that blocks the manifold, changed the starter and got everything fastened nice and tight EXCEPT for that bracket. Well on my little test drive that thing along with the hood cable got ripped off in the middle of the road, ripping off my front bumper, and finally the hood flew open and smashed my windshield ??? first major rookie mistake could've been worse though haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dead ass. I had this issue last week. I tested the battery and was about to pull stuff off and test the starter. But I can across this post, I went under my dash and sure enough the dang on sensor was not plugged. I plugged it in and fired right up! I was about to tear that car pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts