Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem 1 No heat at idle

problem 2 i think the coolant overfill tank is cracked.

I had the thermostat replaced at a dealer, the heat control valve works. If i am driving down the road the heat will run you out of the car but if i stop and idle, the heat cools down.

I tried draining the overflow tank but nothing happened when i took the black rubber boot off the bottom of the tank. Is that normal?

Applied pressure to the overflow tank and hear sssssshhhhhhhhhh. I feel around and I think I feel it around the seam of the tank.

One last thing.....I opened the radiator cap when engine was cool and warmed up with heat on full blast and no bubbles. the coolant raised a little but that was it.

Whats wrong with heat?

Is my radiator overfill tank cracked or is there a pressure relief that I couldn't find?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are your upper and radiator hoses hot? is your car overheating? Sounds like your coolant is flowing well which indicates possible water pump problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Back from the dead. Lol any fixes? Mines doing the same. But it’s an 05 type-s with a mishimoto rad with 2 huge fans. At idle the car gets to 204 when i set the fans to kick on and boom it’ll drop to 187-190 every time. Kpro is reading it is averaging about 195 the entire it’s operating. Driving the heater blows super hot even with cold air running through it. Car temp or coolant temp drops to about 175 while moving too. But at a stop or idle it starts blowing cold. Coolant flush? Did you fix yours?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Back from the dead. Lol any fixes? Mines doing the same. But it’s an 05 type-s with a mishimoto rad with 2 huge fans. At idle the car gets to 204 when i set the fans to kick on and boom it’ll drop to 187-190 every time. Kpro is reading it is averaging about 195 the entire it’s operating. Driving the heater blows super hot even with cold air running through it. Car temp or coolant temp drops to about 175 while moving too. But at a stop or idle it starts blowing cold. Coolant flush? Did you fix yours?
Try re-bleeding your coolant. I had the same symptoms and ended up having a bubble or multiple bubbles stuck somewhere. Just make sure you jack up the front end and set the climate control to hot. More often than not, the bubbles will be stuck in the heater core.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Have you ever run stop leak in your car. My heater core is plugged, but will flow enough coolant to warm it up, and then get cold at a stop sign. I back flushed the heater core (google that on eBay to see how it's done) and it worked. I need to do it again as its half plugged again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try re-bleeding your coolant. I had the same symptoms and ended up having a bubble or multiple bubbles stuck somewhere. Just make sure you jack up the front end and set the climate control to hot. More often than not, the bubbles will be stuck in the heater core.
I haven’t had time to mess with it yet. But the car did come with a new radiator and it was only about half full of coolant. I will flush it this week and bleed it to see if it fixes it.
When i found out the thing had little coolant i think i fucked up and grabbed the wrong coolant jug off my shelf i think it was straight antifreeze so that could also be a problem. Also i did feel around all the hoses off the radiator and heater core. It’s all pretty warm. Some cooler than others but i know it’s flowing at least.
But thanks for the advice. I didn’t know to jack up the front that’s a new trick lol i was just gonna put a water hose in it let it run while i have the drain open and let it run through the system to try and get it all out of there lol

·
Registered
851 Posts
I haven’t had time to mess with it yet. But the car did come with a new radiator and it was only about half full of coolant. I will flush it this week and bleed it to see if it fixes it.
When i found out the thing had little coolant i think i fucked up and grabbed the wrong coolant jug off my shelf i think it was straight antifreeze so that could also be a problem. Also i did feel around all the hoses off the radiator and heater core. It’s all pretty warm. Some cooler than others but i know it’s flowing at least.
But thanks for the advice. I didn’t know to jack up the front that’s a new trick lol i was just gonna put a water hose in it let it run while i have the drain open and let it run through the system to try and get it all out of there lol
I would recommend only using Acura or Honda coolant. I know there are others brands that claim they are safe for Japanese/Honda/Acura/Etc. but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Takes the guesswork out of what brand to buy.
I wouldn't use a hose to flush it either. Get a couple of gallons of distilled water, and let that cycle through. It may take 3-4 cycles before the water is completely clear. The idea behind lifting the front end is to make sure that the rad fill neck is the highest point in the cooling system, helping the air travel up and out of the rad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts