Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m running an ITR exhaust manifold, both the 4-2 & 2-1 section. I have this rattle going on that I cannot find. I Made sure all the little clips and stuff in the engine bay are not loose. I took of the intermediate shaft cover as well. The only thing that comes to my mind is the flex pipe on the 2-1 section. Inside the flex pipe section, there are these little rings that move up and down a little for flexibility. But I wonder if that vibrates when I’m giving 50% throttle. I look and look and look and everything seems to be nice and snug, which leads me to believe that it could possibly be the header. Anyone ever had this rattle issue with an ITR header before?

·
Registered
976 Posts
It’s 100% the flex pipe. I have two of them and it’s the same damn sound. Next time you’re laying under the car, tap the flex pipe with your hands and you’ll hear it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang. They wouldn’t of came like that from the factory though. I wonder if they break off something in the flex pipe over time. I really like the header. It’s a nice piece for it being a dual high flow header that’s factory. Maybe I’ll have to witch it out with an aftermarket flex pipe, but I would hate to do that and find out I’ll get the same sound smh.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Go to vibrants website, they have 4 different kinds lol. I ordered the turboflex, just haven’t had it welded on yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not tuned, so I wonder if the exhaust pulses are different without a tune causing vibrations in the flex pipe. It would be nice if someone with a ITR could add to this and let me know if they had that issue or not.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I’m not tuned, so I wonder if the exhaust pulses are different without a tune causing vibrations in the flex pipe. It would be nice if someone with a ITR could add to this and let me know if they had that issue or not.
You could just heat it and bend it.....Lot's of headers have this issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I know spoon sports in Tokyo works a lot with restoration, engine assembling and yata yata yata, and I want to get in contact with them and see if this is something that they have seen before and what they can recommend to fix it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, all of them. Same thing with the one I have on the car now.
When do you plan on switching the stock flex pipe for a vibrant? I’m would hate to buy a vibrant one and see those rings of death on them and weld it only to find that same issue creep up down the road hahah

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How has that high temp Permatex been holding up? I did a bit of research on that, and I’ve found that they will hold up to heat no higher than 650 Fahrenheit. Also looking up the average catalytic converter heat range and I read that they sit around 1200-1600 Fahrenheit

·
Registered
183 Posts
It’s a temp fix. It’ll work for a short period if you’re not driving aggressively but if you’re beating on it daily or track the car, the rattle comes back. The race header was just a temp part for me so I didn’t care to spend money on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I think I’ll plan on buying a vibrant flex pipe in about a month or two and have it welded on. But I want a good nice weld on their otherwise a crappy weld can cause a exhaust leak in itself. I plan on taking many pictures and coming back for a end result status when I do it. These headers are oem and nice for mid range power. I would like to keep it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Spoon and a few other companies make the lower 2-1 tubes part of that’s what you need. Pricey though. If you don’t mind a louder setup, a full race header opens up the mid-high range even more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts