Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Received my ITR Header today. Do I need to clean the inside of the piping and sand the rust off the manifolds? What can i use to prevent rusting?
For the inside, if it's just black, don't think you need to clean it. If it's carbon build-up, a small wire brush or wire wheel on a Dremel and solvent like injector cleaner or laquer thinner should do the trick.

For the outside, if you're not concerned about looks, you can leave it alone. Pretty sure the material is "stainless" steel, but the low-grade type that forms a layer of surface rust. Or have it blasted and ceramic coated, ~$150 done professionally, or buy it at autoparts in a spray can. Don't waste your time with hi-temp paint, used to use it on bike expansion chambers, burns off almost immediately.

·
CrAfTy JdM
21,493 Posts
-- no banging on the subframe or flex joint failures and a smog tech or cop can't tell it from stock.
so what your saying is that the type r cat will pass a smog test or what. I need to see the state referree because of my RH and need a cat to put back on and Ill I have is my ITR header/cat will this work??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
so what your saying is that the type r cat will pass a smog test or what. I need to see the state referree because of my RH and need a cat to put back on and Ill I have is my ITR header/cat will this work??
Don't know if anybody has smogged one yet, but I'm 99.9 % sure it will pass.

You need to be the guinea pig for the benefit of this community and report back with the results. Passing Cali smog ref inspection would definitely be the acid test.

·
CrAfTy JdM
21,493 Posts
Don't know if anybody has smogged one yet, but I'm 99.9 % sure it will pass.

You need to be the guinea pig for the benefit of this community and report back with the results. Passing Cali smog ref inspection would definitely be the acid test.
I would love to but I cant afford a hit and miss situation. Need to know 100%:(

·
Registered
397 Posts
So, I just want to make sure, do you or do you not have to replace the front sway bar to install the header on an 05-s? Also, does anyone have any dyno's of before and after with this header. Thanks Jacob

·
Registered
112 Posts
So, I just want to make sure, do you or do you not have to replace the front sway bar to install the header on an 05-s? Also, does anyone have any dyno's of before and after with this header. Thanks Jacob
The stock sway won't fit. A 2001 Civic EX coupe sway bolts rght up and gives you enough clearance.

Here was a good thread where I got all my info from: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=339509

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Here was a good thread where I got all my info from: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=339509
Good link. There's a post on there that answers sMk_DC5's question.

Pretty much more everything. The stock TypeS header is a joke and a half. When I installed my ITR header, I measured the primaries. TypeS = 39mm TypeR = 43mm. 4mm per primary and there are 4 primaries, so that's a 16mm total. So that's a substantial difference right there, plus the fact that the TypeR is running a true 4-2-1 setup with longer primaries. It's worth it to swap the ITR header and cat out if you're still running the stock TypeS setup. I even passed emissions with it at the local Honda dealer.:thumbsup:

·
5ive6ix2uece
1,590 Posts
So I'm curious, Do the 05-06 Type-S have these ITR headers/cams/cat/exhaust? Or are the ITR's an improvement from the 05-06 Type-S.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Allright, so I have an '05 Type-s. So all I would need to do this is the manifold and the cat? I don't need a different midpipe? Also, are the gains worth it? Im guessing they are more noticeable than a shorty header and hi flow cat. This seems like a good idea, the manifold itself is only $294, so all I need to find is the cat, none of the sites listed have that cat.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Allright, so I have an '05 Type-s. So all I would need to do this is the manifold and the cat? I don't need a different midpipe? Also, are the gains worth it? Im guessing they are more noticeable than a shorty header and hi flow cat. This seems like a good idea, the manifold itself is only $294, so all I need to find is the cat, none of the sites listed have that cat.
Yeah, only manifold and cat and front sway required for the DC5.

Get the cat used from one of the motor importers, the couple I talked to said swaps usually go race header so there's a few of these around.

·
Q_Q
8,101 Posts
So I'm curious, Do the 05-06 Type-S have these ITR headers/cams/cat/exhaust? Or are the ITR's an improvement from the 05-06 Type-S.
nope. itr>z1
they both have similar (02-04 ITR), almost identical cams, different headers/cat, same b-pipe, but different axleback

·
:)
15,467 Posts
just ordered my itr header online... can't wait.....iam building a k20 89 civic hb.

·
:)
15,467 Posts
google search

·
Registered
260 Posts
anybody know where i can get the bolt circled in red?

mine was missing them

anybody have part # for the nuts and the bolts that fit them?

21 - 40 of 558 Posts