Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's you guys' prediction for how much of a power gain the jrsc will give a Base & Type-S RSX? it's kinda hard to tell, for example the 5th gen preludes get a mad gain of like 50-60hp where as the 3rd gen integra LS's only get like 30. what's your call?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Forget the Supercharger, I'd rather get the Type-R stickers and paint my car Yellow... that's 100 hp right there. :D

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jajaja
those sticker are "phat" ! =P lol..
hmm, thats weird a saw a jackson supercharger article that said that they give up to 100hp on a 99 Si.. how come only 30hp on a prelude? i can get 20 with a $300 chip.. hmm...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no-no, 30 for an integra LS. around 60 for a 'lude. i guess some cars just aren't as compatible.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THis is whY

The higher the compression, the less improvement is generally shown with a supercharger. Si's are terrible cars to supercharge and base engines with less compression usually do better with a supercharger then there more powerful high compression brothers. The base RSX engine should do quite well and the Type-S will be okay (better than a Si, and GSR/type-R, not quite as good as a prelude. Hopefully, an efficent supercharger design can be created with the new engine placement in the RSX.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: THis is whY

burker said:
The higher the compression, the less improvement is generally shown with a supercharger. Si's are terrible cars to supercharge and base engines with less compression usually do better with a supercharger then there more powerful high compression brothers. The base RSX engine should do quite well and the Type-S will be okay (better than a Si, and GSR/type-R, not quite as good as a prelude. Hopefully, an efficent supercharger design can be created with the new engine placement in the RSX.
I fail to understand your logic.
The Prelude has a compression ratio of 10:1. Do you know what the integra's is(10:1 in the US I think except for the Type R which is 10.6:1)? Guess what the Civic Si's is (10.2:1)?
You claim the compression ratio is what makes the difference, yet you then state that the RSX Type S (with an 11:1 ratio) will be better than an Si, GSR/Type R.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: Re: THis is whY

YellowMr2 said:

I fail to understand your logic.
The Prelude has a compression ratio of 10:1. Do you know what the integra's is(10:1 in the US I think except for the Type R which is 10.6:1)? Guess what the Civic Si's is (10.2:1)?
You claim the compression ratio is what makes the difference, yet you then state that the RSX Type S (with an 11:1 ratio) will be better than an Si, GSR/Type R.
My thoughts clearly!

·
Registered
331 Posts
????

burker said:
A bunch of jibber jabber, sorry but it didn't make sense at all, do you have anything to back that up??:eek:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, I assumed that the rsx would have a lower compression ratio b/c it has a bigger displacement than a Si or GSR, I forgot that it is putting out 200hp. Everybody and there brother knows that the higher the compression ratio the less room there is to work with the amount of boost a supercharger pushes into a engine. I didn't go around to different sites and find the compression ratio of each car. If I didn't want to get flamed I guess I should have. :) If the type-S is that high than very little boost could applied to that engine without internal engine work. The base model might be a better candidate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't have the car, so I haven't been able to stare at the engine bay, but I think the major hurdle will be fitting a supercharger in there at all. I think you might wanna worry about if there will be one before you worry about your gains from one. Just an opinion, not a flame. :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you get these compression ratio stats?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont know where you go saying that a SI is a terrible engine to supercharge????

In fact endyn is comming out with a 400hp 350 f/tq for the Si and this kit makes the most power out of the b16 (si) engine than it does on any other Honda/acura application.

To further that Vortech really aims its target market at the honda civic si.

Truly and Unfortuantly the market as far as boosting in honda applications will always benefit the side of the SI.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A stock b16 engine is making 400 hp??? If you massage most newer engine they can make a lot of hp, I'm taking the bone stock engine. Hp for hp, a base model integra LS or Civic LX or something is a better candidate for supercharging then a GSR/type-R/Si b/c the compression ratio is generally lower, thus there is more room to work with the engine before a high compression ratio coupled with boost would damage an engine.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check www.theoldone.com and click on supercharger to see the details of the endy 400hp supercharger... looks like a very good setup.

Yes I understand your points on compression. But at an average boost range the si does fairly well.. In fact an ex with the same psi of boost is weaker. however yes detonation, wild cams, fule injectors..etc.ect do make for a poor boosting car as on our fairl n/a minded civic si's

By the way i think the endyn supercharger is on stock internals but... vtec is taken out and there is a good chance the cams have been switched out. do to TOO much overlap on high rpms... leaving the valves open longer than ideal for stong boost applications.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the endyn kit has been rumored for longer than i can remember (i'm not even talking months, im talking years) and i have yet to see any sign of it being close to production. Although everything is sound in theory and I'm sure the prototypes do exist, I have my doubts on whether or not the kit will ever see mass production.. Other than that, it is, and always has been quite impressive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
burker said:
wow, I assumed that the rsx would have a lower compression ratio b/c it has a bigger displacement than a Si or GSR, I forgot that it is putting out 200hp
well first of all, I'm not trying to flame anybody, just found things are kind of confusing. It's all friendly discussion afterall...
Anyway, in the above quote, you were talking about the RSX-S, right? Are you talking about the displacement of the piston in the cynlinder? Wouldn't a higher compression ratio gives you more displacement? Simply because it can compress more before it explode (combustion) and hence produce more power. However, if you account the volume of the cylinder for comparison, then it's another story...
And then you said:
If the type-S is that high than very little boost could applied to that engine without internal engine work.
You were saying it's low at first and now you're saying it's high? I just don't get it or am I just missing something here??

The Type-S has a ratio of 11.1 and it's higher than the Si. The supercharger simply provide more air and fuel to the engine, and thus gives a higher density of mixture when it's compressed and provide more explosion. It has nothing to do with the compression ratio. I think....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ffej207 said:
I don't have the car, so I haven't been able to stare at the engine bay, but I think the major hurdle will be fitting a supercharger in there at all. I think you might wanna worry about if there will be one before you worry about your gains from one. Just an opinion, not a flame. :D
i have already talked to a rep. from Jackson Racing and have confirmed that they are working and planning on making a supercharger for both RSX models along with some of the 2001+ Civic models. if i didn't think they were gonna make one, i wouldn't have asked :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for displacement, I was referring to the engine displacement. In my first post I assumed that a civic Si had a higher compression ratio then a RSX-S, which I have heard is false. Anyways, that higher the engines compression ratio, the more stress is put on the cylinder walls, the pistons, etc. Thus, on an engine with an already high compression ratio, less air can be crammed into an engine with a supercharger.

All I was trying to say in that some base model engines respond better to a supercharger, then a higher compression ratio, sports injected engine. A base rsx with a supercharger isn't going to beat a rsx-s with a supercharger, but the net percentage increase in hp would probably be higher.

SCC: "...the lower compression offered in the Integra LS, over the GSR, meant that we saw a 40% gain in net hp..."

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
burker said:
As for displacement, I was referring to the engine displacement. In my first post I assumed that a civic Si had a higher compression ratio then a RSX-S, which I have heard is false. Anyways, that higher the engines compression ratio, the more stress is put on the cylinder walls, the pistons, etc. Thus, on an engine with an already high compression ratio, less air can be crammed into an engine with a supercharger.

All I was trying to say in that some base model engines respond better to a supercharger, then a higher compression ratio, sports injected engine. A base rsx with a supercharger isn't going to beat a rsx-s with a supercharger, but the net percentage increase in hp would probably be higher.

SCC: "...the lower compression offered in the Integra LS, over the GSR, meant that we saw a 40% gain in net hp..."
amen brother! and that's why i'm not gonna cry about it when my parents say i can't get a Type-S. because when i'm done with my premium RSX and i line up at a stoplight with a Type-S i'm gonna be leaving him in the dust (exaggerating of course) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Higher static compression will have a notiable effect on a supercharger, especially a centrifugal as air is being constantly stacked into the cylinders when the valves open. Compression will be boosted to from 11:1 to 13:1 (dynamic compression maybe even higher). Question will the internals of the engine take the additional pounding? On a daily basis? Considering not many N/A engines see the light past 12:1, my answer would be no.

Also, heat dissipation will become an issue as well, as higher compression==more air==more heat the walls & piston need to absorb. Heat and rpms kill engines.

--C

1 - 20 of 25 Posts