Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

681 - 700 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Smith; thanks for the response

I read that the Pulleyboys pulleys aren't machined right and cause the belt to be out of aligned?....

Not my personal experience just something I read either in this supercharging thread or the jrsc thread. Is this not true?

Pulleyboys has 3 different pulleys....4/6/7 "groove key" pulleys. How do I know which one I need?

Thanks a lot for your help man

·
Always on TDY...
2,182 Posts
Smith; thanks for the response

I read that the Pulleyboys pulleys aren't machined right and cause the belt to be out of aligned?....

Not my personal experience just something I read either in this supercharging thread or the jrsc thread. Is this not true?

Pulleyboys has 3 different pulleys....4/6/7 "groove key" pulleys. How do I know which one I need?

Thanks a lot for your help man

http://www.pulleyboys.com/store/product.php?productid=203&cat=7&page=1

I'd wait for the kit to get in and you can measure that pulley to buy the right one. Pulleyboys is reputable among us

BTW, the belts I can purchase at any auto parts store, correct?

sorry for all the newb ?'s
Yes.

·
Super Moderator
14,191 Posts
I know this thread is relatively old but curious to know how reliable is the supercharger in the winter? I'm talking about -30 degrees Celsius (-22 Fahrenheit) weather.
I typically store my car before the weather gets too nasty here in MN. However, the season I installed my supercharger, I ran my car pretty late into the fall/early winter.

There were a few morning in the -10 to -15 Fahrenheit that I started the car and drove it to work. I had no issues what so ever, the blower loved the cold weather.

I would caution any full throttle or 1/2 throttle actions before the car is completely warmed up at those temps.

As for long term reliability, I can't talk much to that as I moved away from the supercharger at the end of the next season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I typically store my car before the weather gets too nasty here in MN. However, the season I installed my supercharger, I ran my car pretty late into the fall/early winter.

There were a few morning in the -10 to -15 Fahrenheit that I started the car and drove it to work. I had no issues what so ever, the blower loved the cold weather.

I would caution any full throttle or 1/2 throttle actions before the car is completely warmed up at those temps.

As for long term reliability, I can't talk much to that as I moved away from the supercharger at the end of the next season.
Sounds good thanks for the info as over here in canada winters can get to -30 Celsius (-22 fahrenheit) with 8 inches of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Not sure if this thread is still active, it's going on 13 years now, but I recently purchased a Type S with a JRSC. I'm the 4th owner, the 2nd owner had installed the JRSC and owned it for 5 years before the 3rd owner bought it. The 3rd owner doesn't know much about it, whether if it was the street or race version or how it was tuned (reflash, k-pro?). It drives really nice and well, I drove it over 1k miles home.

I was wondering if there was any way I can figure out more information about it just by looking at the pullies, charger, or ECU? last owner did not do any maintenance on the supercharger other than get the belt replaced. He owned it for 8 years/42k miles. Is there oil that should be changed? Any due maintenance I should be aware of?

·
Past Driver’s Ed
562 Posts
First - Measure the pulley diameter on the super charger itself. That will tell you approximately what psi the supercharger is setup to make. Double check to see if the crankshaft pulley is OEM diameter. Next look at the fuel injectors see if those are stock. Last - check your ECU and see if there is a cable with a USB plug coming out of it. If it has a cable coming out of the ECU there's a good chance you have Hondata kpro.

·
Registered
125 Posts
First - Measure the pulley diameter on the super charger itself. That will tell you approximately what psi the supercharger is setup to make. Double check to see if the crankshaft pulley is OEM diameter. Next look at the fuel injectors see if those are stock. Last - check your ECU and see if there is a cable with a USB plug coming out of it. If it has a cable coming out of the ECU there's a good chance you have Hondata kpro.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for! All that seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is the JRSC really that sensitive to exhausts? I found a good price for a Yonaka cat-back locally ($130) and thought about picking it up. I have the street version of the SC and it has the powercard, no tune.

·
Always on TDY...
2,182 Posts
Is the JRSC really that sensitive to exhausts? I found a good price for a Yonaka cat-back locally ($130) and thought about picking it up. I have the street version of the SC and it has the powercard, no tune.
Should be fine... There should be no change in performance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Anyone have a solution for changing the starter without having to remove the supercharger? I can’t seem to do it without removing the unit?

·
Always on TDY...
2,182 Posts
Anyone have a solution for changing the starter without having to remove the supercharger? I can’t seem to do it without removing the unit?
Unfortunately, I doubt you can replace the starter without removing the blower. The amount of other parts you would have to pull, it would be easier to pull the blower in my opinion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unfortunately, I doubt you can replace the starter without removing the blower. The amount of other parts you would have to pull, it would be easier to pull the blower in my opinion.

I should have mentioned I was replacing the radiator. I already pulled it out and thought it would be a good time to replace the starter too, since it sounded like it was a few months from going out.

Asked around on FB and they said it’s possible to remove the starter without having to take off the intake manifold or blower, but the issue comes with reinstalling a starter. It would be difficult.

Any thoughts?

·
Always on TDY...
2,182 Posts

I should have mentioned I was replacing the radiator. I already pulled it out and thought it would be a good time to replace the starter too, since it sounded like it was a few months from going out.

Asked around on FB and they said it’s possible to remove the starter without having to take off the intake manifold or blower, but the issue comes with reinstalling a starter. It would be difficult.

Any thoughts?
Got it... Even with the radiator out, I still think it's going to be tight. The blower manifold sits right on top of the starter. I remember pinching the starter lead causing the battery to arch on the first time I installed my JRSC. I had to pull the blower just to fix it cause there was no other way.

Also depends on your setup... Best thing to do is get under the car and look when the rad is out and judge if you can get it out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got it... Even with the radiator out, I still think it's going to be tight. The blower manifold sits right on top of the starter. I remember pinching the starter lead causing the battery to arch on the first time I installed my JRSC. I had to pull the blower just to fix it cause there was no other way.

Also depends on your setup... Best thing to do is get under the car and look when the rad is out and judge if you can get it out.

Sooo I tried it again today. Definitely gonna have to take off the blower. That kind of worries me! Gonna have to be really careful.

·
Always on TDY...
2,182 Posts

Sooo I tried it again today. Definitely gonna have to take off the blower. That kind of worries me! Gonna have to be really careful.
It's not too bad if you have an extra set of hands. Hardest part was aligning the blower manifold and trying to thread the bolts to the head while the IMG is moving around. It was a pain in the ass for me because I did the install by myself.

681 - 700 of 739 Posts