Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i remove the blower, after replace the ball bearing and after ported them, i want to plug the discharge ports with the JB weld because weld with a TIG solder can damage the housing of the rotor.
Anyone have try to plug this discharge ports??
The JB weld compound is this :

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
Air Leakage Ports:

The two oval slots on the output plate are air leakage ports. Their only purpose is to decrease operational noise from the blower. Arnie, from Eaton Corp., explains their function like this, "When you stomp on the gas, the boost shoots up and the air flow goes supersonic. The air then slams back into the output plate and through the leakage slots, which reduces the hammering of the air into the housing causing less noise. The OEM can not have such loud NVH, that’s why we put them in the housing. The 2 small ports are not there to feed air, only to reduce noise." Basically, for the best flow and most efficiency, these ports can be blocked off, making the outlet port (triangle slot) the only port on the outlet plate of the housing. Closing these ports will not increase IAT's; however, it will make the supercharger much louder when in boost. As an example, aftermarket supercharger companies, such as Harrop, Roush and Magnuson do not use these slots in their blowers. It should be re-stated, that you should consult professionals regarding closing these ports; and do not, for any reason, plug them with JB Weld. Improper closure could eventually lead to pieces coming apart and loose debris destroying the rotors and housing. Opening up these ports will only have a negative effect on efficiency. Do not port them.

Should get some aluminum plugs and have them welded in...But make sure you have a true professional weld them in not to distort the rotor area with too much heat.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for this information...My friend have a proffesional weld and first heating the housing to 300 °C for not distort the housing!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Erik..The potential disaster is just around the corner, but also because I want to try talking to several friends engineers, these ports are losing a lot of efficiency to the compressor

·
The GREG
5,001 Posts
:dontknow: Just from some basic searching I found this quote.

"The ports on the M62 are also beveled, but they're also MUCH smaller. Less than 1/3 the area of the M62. I can tell you there isn't 2 horsepower to be gained by this, and that's far more than the pull to pull variation on a dyno. Spend your money and time elsewhere."

G

·
There are so many ways that this setup "loses efficiency", such as boost leaks at the mounting bolts, the goofy inlet casting, the poor flow of the Moss manifold, that it hardly seems worth it to do something like this.

In other words, why perform open-heart surgery on an athlete that still can run the mile in 7 minutes, rather than 6?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i read many post about the ported blower-inlet don't give much power...when i ported-polish my ep3 jrsc i have heard an incredible variation at the touch of accelerator.
Why don't try?!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
i read many post about the ported blower-inlet don't give much power...when i ported-polish my ep3 jrsc i have heard an incredible variation at the touch of accelerator.
Why don't try?!
that fly's in the face of every one I have done....

every inlet casting I have spent 1-2 hours with a die-grinder on has made more power (how much is down to what TB and speed the blower is running)

if it was not the case, do you think I would be spending the cash to make a new casting?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simon, I fully agree with you. We've reached the point where not enough to mount a small pulley to increase the performance of our M62 because that would lead us to make him work at an efficiency ridiculous. We must ensure that the greatest amount of air being sucked by decreasing the effort of the fan to do this. Only in this way we can increase the Cfm real push in the fan motor. Unfortunately this is not easy to achieve, both for the limited space that limited the design of the intake manifold runner without. I think that the same fan mounted on a manifold type RBC can give 10-15 hp...:)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally, my friend with proffesional TIG welder have weld 2 alluminium parts.

After this operation i have tested the rotor and there all are fine, the housing isn't distort.
But this is not so good for Airflow

Next i have fill the hole with the JB Weld compound.

G

·
I'm not being critical but the concern I have is, since the JB Weld expands and contracts at a different rate than Alu, since it is plastic and steel, that some of that comes loose once the blower goes back into service. That is just a thought, of course.

I hope it works out for you. Best of luck.

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
Looks like it should work.

One question though - to avoid JB welding it, you had it TIG welded. But then you put JB weld on it anyway...?

I would have just left those holes unfilled. The efficiency loss is due to air reverse-flowing through those holes, not from their 'roughness'.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Before I created the plates ready to be shaped aluminum TIG welded. Later I prepared the surface to be welded, as is a black anodized aluminum which make it difficult to weld. I had to remove it with the dremel.
Later I TIG welded plates. When you're done, the exhaust ports are closed but the flow of air inside of housing would have been troubled by this gap by making our operation inefficate closing holes. It 's true that the holes would be filled with compressed air as a cushion firm.
So I decided to fill the holes with JB Weld to give the desired shape. In this case the JB weld is not under pressure as the plates are TIG welded aluminum carrying out this work feedback. The only thought on the increase in temperature but the JB weld resistant up to 500 ° F continuous. I have spoken with people who have just plugged with JB Weld the doors Eaton M112 and after years nothing has happened.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts