iS/Type S / RSX Automatic
1st 2.684(12.24) /2.684
2nd 1.5(6.84) /1.500
3rd 1.03(4.7) /0.983
4th 0.772(3.52) /0.733
5th 0.571(2.6) /0.571
R 2.000 /2.000
Final 4.562 /4.562

I notice that 3rd and 4th are different. So to anyone with any knowledge about gear ratio, can you explain the advantage or disadvantage of the 3rd and 4th gear ratio from the JDM transmission?

·
Registered
95 Posts
ratios affect acceleration and top speed but they work in conjunction with the final drive a higher numbered gear and final drive or low gears will give you better accl a lower numbered will give you higher top speeds

as for the case above the jdm will need to go into 4th at a lower mph (better acceleration) then the US rsx but will stay in forth a bit longer (slower accel) then the US but by very little i would say w/o calculating it might be a 5mph difference for each gear and very little gains in the 1/4mile since we dont get out of 3rd

·
Original Owner
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ratios affect acceleration and top speed but they work in conjunction with the final drive a higher numbered gear and final drive or low gears will give you better accl a lower numbered will give you higher top speeds

as for the case above the jdm will need to go into 4th at a lower mph (better acceleration) then the US rsx but will stay in forth a bit longer (slower accel) then the US but by very little i would say w/o calculating it might be a 5mph difference for each gear and very little gains in the 1/4mile since we dont get out of 3rd
Thanks for the input man, I really appreciate it. So this explains why the jdm model does the 1/4 mile in 16.4 sec at 85mph while the usdm model did it at 16.6 sec at 83mph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts